Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 900670 times)

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Reinhard that looks great ! 

We make salads using cilantro in a salad with cucumber tomato and bacon.  Normally a blend of seasoning of some kind or just a small amount of dressing

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I will have to try it.  Or the stuff in a bottle is a good idea too.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Yep, if you like Cilantro.   Some folks don't, like my wife.   Tastes like soap to them.

Do they normally (phrase used loosely) eat soap? Ralphie in the Christmas Story bathroom scene said Palmolive seemed the best; had a slight piquant flavor. LIfebuoy was NOT tasty. Few slices of Palmolive might go well with a soused-up squab.  ;)

https://youtu.be/4KjxFDGFKhk
« Last Edit: February 02/18/20, 08:38:59 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, if you like Cilantro.   Some folks don't, like my wife.   Tastes like soap to them.

Do they normally (phrase used loosely) eat soap? Ralphie in the Christmas Story bathroom scene said Palmolive seemed the best; had a slight piquant flavor. LIfebuoy was NOT tasty. Few slices of Palmolive might go well with a soused-up squab.  ;)

Since things seem a little slow for you guys, especially Reb, you might as well learn something...
https://www.britannica.com/story/why-does-cilantro-taste-like-soap-to-some-people

Cilantro (aka the leaves of the coriander plant) is a tasty herb to most people. A pleasing combination of flavors reminiscent of parsley and citrus, the herb is a common ingredient in many cuisines around the world. However, some people find cilantro revolting, including, famously, the chef Julia Child. Of course some of this dislike may come down to simple preference, but for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves. This genetic quirk is usually only found in a small percent of the population, though it varies geographically. Interestingly, places where cilantro is especially popular, such as Central America and India, have fewer people with these genes, which might explain how the herb was able to become such a mainstay in those regions. East Asians have the highest incidence of this variation, with some studies showing that nearly 20% of the population experiences soapy-tasting cilantro. There is some evidence that cilantrophobes can overcome their aversion with repeated exposure to the herb, especially if it is crushed rather than served whole, but many people simply choose to go with their genetic inclinations and avoid its soapiness altogether.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very interesting Del.  I didn't know it was coriander until today. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

The absolute worst: Lava! The old gray colored stuff tasted bad enough to keep you from swearing for a lifetime. And the grit left in your teeth from the pumice was not something soon forgotten. :puke:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Cilantro and parsley will last maybe a week in the fridge.    Arugula, probably longer.

It's delicous. Wonderful aroma. Not spendy, either. Cilantro stems and leaves is chinee parsley in the US. Elsewhere it's Coriander.
Dried cilantro in a jar lasts a long time. Like 6 months. I use quite a bit in mexican stuff I cook, and chili and dips. And taco meat. And salsa. Most mexican food has a lot of it in it.
Very interesting Del.  I didn't know it was coriander until today.

Guess ya didn't read my post.  :rolleyes: Thanks for repeating Del. Things must be slow.
« Last Edit: February 02/18/20, 11:27:25 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Early here.   And I was posting mostly about the soap taste thing.   The coriander leaves was just a side benefit.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
We use cilantro quite a bit.  My wife like's it a lot and it took me time to get used to it.  But now in certain foods it's a must.  I always add it toward the end of the cooking cycle especially in Mexican meals.  good luck.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb Rebs Rebs.  LOL  If you noticed I said I just learned that today about Cilantro.  Meaning from your post and then Dels.  I will get some and put it on a salad to try it out. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb Rebs Rebs.  LOL  If you noticed I said I just learned that today about Cilantro.  Meaning from your post and then Dels.  I will get some and put it on a salad to try it out.

Maybe eat a few leaves straight up to see if it tastes good, or if it tastes like soap....  I like it.  Wife hates it.

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
New product by timber grills and heaters coming out in a few months. I might have to look into one of these. Patio heater grill combo.
« Last Edit: February 02/20/20, 10:53:43 AM by Coffee118 »
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
very interesting coffee!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw this at Walmart last week, seemed pretty decent for the price. Wood or coal. Racks raise up and down with a crank, smoke box adjustable with feed. Might haveta think about this one...... :scratch:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Royal-Gourmet-CC1830S-Charcoal-Grill-with-Offset-Smoker-800-Square-Inches-Black-Outdoor-Camping/456281606 :smoking:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks a decent one Reb!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
looks a decent one Reb!!!

No high end item, but I think it would be OK for occassional use for us budget-plan people.   :smiley:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've looked at them too and they look like they would be fun to cook/smoke with.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nothin'. Was gonna be pig chops.
Now Mom isn't going home...found other issues with her. That's the 8th call from Mayo today...had her all ready to go. Twice. Now, scratch it.
Grabbed a sandwich for supper.
« Last Edit: February 02/20/20, 07:24:12 PM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Easy for me to say but hang in there Rebs.  Will be thinking good thoughts for you. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Got the patio cleaned off w/the skidsteer (it was tits!), the wife was gone and I threw some stuff together. NY stripper med rare w/sweetcorn, pickles & a Norkotah baled tater. Cleaned up the kitchen & got a jag on while I was at it. Listened to Neil Young's 1st solo album & Zeppelin's 4th album. Classic rock at its finest. Best of all, didn't have to eat & drink alone.  :happy1:

« Last Edit: February 02/22/20, 11:03:28 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Nicely done Dotch,  and not to mention no hammy was harmed while evading   :happy1:

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
dotch on the patio?????????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hey! Don't you have some turtle shells to molest or something?

:tut:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

I can see it now, Glenn running around chasing his "shell"!!!!!!!!!!!  look out for the hermit crab!!!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

nope...….. :moon: :tut: not till  next winter!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Apple-wood smoked chicky....... :tongue:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Encore performance tonite. Actually there was a 2 lb. package of lamborger that kept falling out of the freezer so that was an omen Picked up some hickory charcoal yesterday; that sealed the deal. Toss on some sweetcorn, cheesebread and a few pickles. Voila! Supper is served. Luckily Mrs. Cheviot's plantar fasciitis has slowed her immensely so I can breathe easier. Still have to be careful to stay out of corners or narrow, dead end hallways.  :shocked: