Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 900350 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I looked those green mountain units up, very nice. So maybe a dumb question,  if you wanna sear anything is it only directly over the burn pot? Or does the heat fan out more than just a small area for searing?

They are great for cooking anything except a nicely seared steak.  They only get up to 500 degrees and the heat is way below the grates so not good for searing.  I even spent $100 on a set of Grill Grates.  They are an aluminum rack that may absorb heat to help sear.  Didn't do the trick for me.  SO that is where the charcoal or gas grill excel.  I will sell the Grill Grates for 1/2 price if anyone is interested!  Or make an offer.  LOL  SO I have a gas grill, my Daniel Boone and my Smokin' It smoker.  I use them all too.  I also have a cheaper kettle grill but don't use it much anymore. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch's  last post got me wonderin if any of youse guys ;) have ever tried a flat iron steak? :scratch: We've had it 5 or 6 times in the last few months & every time it's been some of the best we've had in a long time. Very tender, lots of flavor when done the way we like it(MR), & cheaper than all the other cuts of steak at our local Fareway.  :happy1: :cool: Brother said the last we got was close to it's expiration date & was marked down to $5/lb.
« Last Edit: July 07/11/20, 06:59:18 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
nope they don't seem to sell them here, want to try them!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just grilled burgers for lunch, just got done as the rain started..... :rotflmao:

and it's really raining now!!!!
« Last Edit: July 07/11/20, 11:53:22 AM by mike89 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dotch's  last post got me wonderin if any of youse guys ;) have ever tried a flat iron steak? :scratch: We've had it 5 or 6 times in the last few months & every time it's been some of the best we've had in a long time. Very tender, lots of flavor when done the way we like it(MR), & cheaper all the other cuts of steak at our local Fareway.  :happy1: :cool: Brother said the last we got was close to it's expiration date & was marked down to $5/lb.

Morgan's have them. They come vacuum packed & they're pre-marinated so it's easy peasy. I haven't seen them in their case w/o the marinade though. I like them for price & variety. Would like to get some w/o the marinade so I could do my own thing with them. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch's  last post got me wonderin if any of youse guys ;) have ever tried a flat iron steak? :scratch: We've had it 5 or 6 times in the last few months & every time it's been some of the best we've had in a long time. Very tender, lots of flavor when done the way we like it(MR), & cheaper all the other cuts of steak at our local Fareway.  :happy1: :cool: Brother said the last we got was close to it's expiration date & was marked down to $5/lb.

Morgan's have them. They come vacuum packed & they're pre-marinated so it's easy peasy. I haven't seen them in their case w/o the marinade though. I like them for price & variety. Would like to get some w/o the marinade so I could do my own thing with them.

order them that way I'd say...

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
just grilled burgers for lunch, just got done as the rain started..... :rotflmao:

just thunder here at the moment but based on the radar won't be long. :happy1: just in time for the garden to get a drink anyhow. :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

just thunder here at the moment but based on the radar won't be long. :happy1: just in time for the garden to get a drink anyhow. :happy1:

that would be good for ya!!   :happy1: :happy1:

it's done here for now...

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I will try a flat iron steak now that you said that.  Have always wondered if they were really good.  At the store today T-bones are still $16.99 lb.  Ribeyes also.  SO we are having pork chops.  They were completely out of chicken thighs.  Pork and chicken is all people are buying. At least up here.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's kinda what's going on down here too. I felt $12.99/lb for those NY strips was purty steep but that's the way it is so I bit the bullet. I enjoyed the one I ate. Need to get another freezer so we have more room for things other than lamb & the smaller stuff. Preferably an upright so I don't have to be digging around in it all the time.  :embarrassed:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a chest freezer in the garage and an upright in the basement.  I am tempted to give the chest one away and get another upright.  Well I am going to do some thick cut chops on the smomer today like Leech did them.  Gonna be 205 for 3 hours.  Will have to get them spiced up and let them sit for awhile first.  I also got some Vidalia onion salad dressing yesterday.  Man that stuff is great!  Glad I got it. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After the storm had to fire up the grill. Got more egg roll fresh brats so needed to eat them. Some beans, salad, a couple cherry maters from the patio & glenn's favorite, sweet pickles! Mrs. Cheviot gave chase once again but it's like Wiley Coyote vs. the Roadrunner. She needs to call Acme & get some better weapons...  :coffee:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks like an empty bun on the plate!!    :scratch:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, "where's the meat"?   :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea but that alcohol glass Isa plenty full!🤔 :rotflmao: :scratch:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Nicely done Dotch!! Its amazing what a grill full of brats do to these women !!  :surrender:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

I was trying to avoid arousing Mrs. Cheviot by her getting a glimpse of my wiener!  :tongue: Don't you hafta go back to bed & play with Linda? Glenn told me to say that!  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I was trying to avoid arousing Mrs. Cheviot by her getting a glimpse of my wiener!  :tongue: Don't you hafta go back to bed & play with Linda? Glenn told me to say that!  :rotflmao:
:tut: who me??? :scratch: :angel: :angel: not sweet little innocent me. :angel: :doah: :evil: :evil: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

sorry she's working today!!!   :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

:tut: who me??? :scratch: :angel: :angel: not sweet little innocent me. :angel: :doah: :evil: :evil: :rotflmao:

aw come on!!  the sweetest thing about you is when you leave!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Even then he comes home waaaaaaaay too early, every time.  ;) :rolleyes: ;D ;D

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup there is that for sure...  he miss's his wife!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:  I got me some real thick pork chops to do the Leech 205 for 3 hours thing.  Got them all spiced up and rubbed with some olive oil and they are in action in the smomer.  I thought they were bone in and didn't even look that close.  My fault.  They are boneless so may I will take em off a little early.  Definitely prefer bone-in. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  :confused: & here I thought :scratch: it was because he missed us. ;) :laugh:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  :confused: & here I thought :scratch: it was because he missed us. ;) :laugh:
:laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe he was TOLD to come home  :rotflmao:  Dang Dotch I blew out out a flip flop earlier, beef kaboobs n poppers with a side salad so I might just be screwed tonight.. Might hafta take one for the team!!
« Last Edit: July 07/12/20, 06:08:57 PM by Bobberineyes »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SO obviously beef kabobs n poppers with a side salad is the winning combo!!!!!  May need to do some more research on that program!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey you go dude!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Do you marinade the meat boober?? And what kind of beef??
« Last Edit: July 07/12/20, 06:54:10 PM by glenn57 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Darn boneless chops were over done.  Still tasty so I will cut them up tomorrow and use them in something.  Great flavor!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Darn boneless chops were over done.  Still tasty so I will cut them up tomorrow and use them in something.  Great flavor!

no matter what I always use my temp probe when I'm doing meats...