Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 896082 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mrs. Cheviot is away and the mice will play! Sirloin tonite and chicky upcoming soon. Long day today. Got a lot done. Needed some sustenance to keep all the mosquitoes away I let in the house!  :shocked:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Mrs. Cheviot is away and the mice will play! Sirloin tonite and chicky upcoming soon. Long day today. Got a lot done. Needed some sustenance to keep all the mosquitoes away I let in the house!  :shocked:
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: WOW..........you use a shot glass??????? :surrender: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

must be rationing!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

looking good!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yes I use a jigger. I'm a very precise drunk... :rotflmao:

For several reasons: The tonic syrup goes in at half ounce per drink. Keeps the carbs down along with providing a higher quinine level. If I've had a rotten day and am trying to get lit faster I use a full 2 oz. of 94 proof gin rather than a shot. The New Amsterdam 94 proof gin pictured is my new rail gin. Packs a wallop for a reasonable price. Beefeater suddenly dropped their alcohol content to 88 proof. Thanks for playin'. If someone thinks they're doing me a huge favor and gives me a bottle of some weak tit 80 proof Seagrams or some such stuff, that goes in at about 1.8 oz. anyway. Combine the tonic syrup & gin, add 6 ice cubes, a wedge of lime, squeeze it if desired (I desire) dump in 5 oz. of club soda, stir and voila! The magic elixir. The same every time. Few drinks suck worse than a burnt gin and tonic. :bonk: Ordering one in a bar or restaurant is like playing Russian roulette. The gals at The Willows always make a good TNT.  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes I use a jigger. I'm a very precise drunk... :rotflmao:

For several reasons: The tonic syrup goes in at half ounce per drink. Keeps the carbs down along with providing a higher quinine level. If I've had a rotten day and am trying to get lit faster I use a full 2 oz. of 94 proof gin rather than a shot. The New Amsterdam 94 proof gin pictured is my new rail gin. Packs a wallop for a reasonable price. Beefeater suddenly dropped their alcohol content to 88 proof. Thanks for playin'. If someone thinks they're doing me a huge favor and gives me a bottle of some weak tit 80 proof Seagrams or some such stuff, that goes in at about 1.8 oz. anyway. Combine the tonic syrup & gin, add 6 ice cubes, a wedge of lime, squeeze it if desired (I desire) dump in 5 oz. of club soda, stir and voila! The magic elixir. The same every time. Few drinks suck worse than a burnt gin and tonic. :bonk: Ordering one in a bar or restaurant is like playing Russian roulette. The gals at The Willows always make a good TNT.  :happy1:

I never thought to use tonic syrup.  What kind do you use?

And what do you mean by nothing worse than a burnt G&T?

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I use Jack Rudy's Classic tonic syrup. A friend gave me a bottle several years back when it was still called Small Batch Tonic. I was hooked. Buy it by the case now. Let's the flavor of the gin express itself and it's not so sweet. 5 carbs. Wife likes the boxes for hauling around vases for decorating weddings. They also make an extra bitter tonic syrup that reputedly is more like what the Brit's use in their G&T's. I'd like to try a bottle just to see how it tastes. Might have to splurge & buy a bottle of Plymouth Navy Strength gin to go with it if I do. 

A few ways to burn them: Too much ice leaving not enough room for tonic. Too much gin period. Someone was trying to be nice to me & ordered me a double one time. They dumped in twice the gin but not twice the amount of tonic. Ick. If I want to taste nearly straight gin, I'll order a martini.   

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ya knew I had to do it: Mrs. Cheviot gone so there needed to be some BBQ'd chicky thighs on the Weber indirect. Not that I have anything against breasts mind you, thighs were on sale... :sleazy: Note who is keeping a close eye on events in case I should clumsily drop something on the floor. Not possible with my cat-like reflexes... :shocked:
« Last Edit: June 06/17/21, 11:01:59 PM by Dotch »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1: looks great there bubba.......me likes charcoal grilled chicky........ :hubba: :hubba: i see no pioneer knife required!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

what's your choice for BBQ sauce????????

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya knew I had to do it: Mrs. Cheviot gone so there needed to be some BBQ'd chicky thighs on the Weber indirect. Not that I have anything against breasts mind you, thighs were on sale... :sleazy: Note who is keeping a close eye on events in case I should clumsily drop something on the floor. Not possible with my cat-like reflexes... :shocked:

Dude, every post you make now says Mrs. Cheviot is gone or away.
Starting to think she's buried in the basement, just so you can cook what you want?  :scratch:   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
doing pork chop hobo dinner on the grill later, sounds like a good supper!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Dude, every post you make now says Mrs. Cheviot is gone or away.
Starting to think she's buried in the basement, just so you can cook what you want?  :scratch:   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Geez, now you mention it, maybe I oughta check!  :scratch:

Think the BBQ sauce was some Kraft original that was in the fridge. Had some Sweet Baby Ray's in the cupboard but needed to use this up. Worked fine. Had to scarf down one more piece before I decided it was safe to eat.  :happy1:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking dynamite Dotch!! Something tells me you best do laundry before she gets home or the chase will be on with a hint of grilled ties in the air.. ;)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good thing the kids are here, or momma would be getting chased after the bow tie salad and taters she did inside!! The ribeyes got a little smoke before they hit the heat.. :happy1:  grate is cleaned!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well you could take a boat ride!! :sleazy: :smoking: :evil:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
now that is a clean up crew!!!  very nice!!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Perfect boober! Ruby must belong to the same union as your crew.  :happy1: Only a pervert like glenn would think like that. He has no scruples. Maybe I should mail him some...  :shocked:

Center cuts seared then grilled indirect with smokehouse maple seasoning. Mrs. Gerry's tater salad, sunflower salad, Birdseye mixed veggies & Bongards red pepper cheese curds. Gotta make a feed run on Saturday and get some more of those babies. Flew under the radar last nite. Mrs. Cheviot had already eaten so more for me!  :cool:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
another clean plate!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yup, stick it back in the cupboard again... :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks mighty tasty Dotch.  :happy1: we have the exact same plates, iffin we only had them fancy knives  :pouty: :pouty: :confused: :rolleyes:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Pork shoulder steaks over charcoal. Complemented with boiled taters fried in butter and onions along with frozen mixed veggies. :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
darn good stuff!!   :happy1:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks mighty tasty Dotch.  :happy1: we have the exact same plates, iffin we only had them fancy knives  :pouty: :pouty: :confused: :rolleyes:

The harvest gold pattern Corelle Ware is from my Mom. She had the entire set which we kids bought her over a number of years from the local hardware store. When cleaning out her place last fall, rather than see it pieced out, I decided to take it all. Still in really good shape. Doesn't look any different now than when we gave it to her back in the 70's.

Swiss borgers tonite along with a hunk of red onion & onion rings, mixed veggies & cottage. No Pioneer knife but for the onion rings, lotsa KATCHUP! Wth the change in ownership at the meat market, the burger isn't as lean as it was. I notices that making the patties. That's OK but it'll take some getting used to. The burgers shrink more and are more prone to flare ups. It'll be easier for them to be overdone. Doesn't matter. I could burn them to a cinder, have them fall thru the grates, fish them out, put them on a plate and Mrs. Cheviot would still chase me around.  :rolleyes:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Gotta admitt glenn I love charcoal grilled pork steak with a side of apple sauce.

Stopped by the kowalski butcher shop on saturday thinking a nice ribeye would make a great saturday night dinner....I was shocked at the price $35/lb :thumbs: so we settled on chicken legs, guess we're helping to make less of a carbon foot print if we like it or not.
« Last Edit: June 06/28/21, 08:15:31 AM by snow1 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea i've been thinking about ordering some beef, we are getting pretty low, but i'm afraid of what they want per lb for a 1/4 or 1/2. :undecided: :doah: :confused:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Sunday after checking on my dad at the senior home as he's been a handful for the staff as he found a girl friend,she can't talk and he doesn't know her name but they shuffel around holding hands....hope that's all they do)

I stopped by cub foods for a few things,bought a couple pre made ground jalapeno chedder patties...darn good just the right amount of heat,well we added hot pickle slices to our tator salad that helped the hot bite.
« Last Edit: July 07/05/21, 09:07:10 AM by snow1 »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
To celebrate my last night of freedom from Mrs. Cheviot for a while I grilled the rib steaks I got yesterday. Not cheap but I was ready for some beef. That and aside from a couple small pieces I sampled while grilling, I didn't get to eat any of the lamb I grilled yesterday... :doah: Used the same marinade though and it worked as well as it did on the lamb. As an added bonus, I found some wild black raspberries by the lilacs when mowing a couple days ago. Forgot about them until this afternoon. The birds found them but hadn't eaten them all yet.  :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
when I was at one of the local meat markets the other day I seen some nacho flavored brats, just grilled them for lunch, I will be buying them again!!!   very good!!! 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Dang Dotch I'd be  snorin before desert, looking great! Nuttin fancy here got home to see some jalapenos were ready so they got sliced and filled. In a pinch we have some frozen patties ready to go on short notice so it was easy peasy tonight. Did have some leftover bacon from blt's so it turned out to be a good burglar..

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hope you got yer track shoes on. If Mrs. Boober gives you that come hither look, yer gonna need 'em!  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
If momma wants steak, she gets steak  :sleazy: :happy1:y kid brought those taters up to the cabin. Pretty good, where on the tater section at the local grocery store. 6.99. different flavors to. Also had bush smokehouse beans