Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 953482 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I shop early and that seems to help...  good score... 
We usually go to town on Wednesday & that's when everybody's sales for the week start too. We normally do L&M then WM before we get back to Aldi's around 11:00. It's not all that unusual that their best sale item in the meat department to already be all gone & they don't open 'til 9. It not just the meat department either, as a lot of their better sale items are a 1-time short run because of a limited quantity. So, if it's something we really want we go there just as they're opening as that's about when we get to GR anyway.
« Last Edit: July 07/10/24, 06:01:10 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Same way in Bemidji.  Great meat sales but just not a lot of it to begin with. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
It's just a way to get you in the store hoping you buy other stuff. :pouty:

A week ago Teals had a sale on chicken legs and thighs,  they went through 17 cases and got more in.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: Yeah, glenn, I was working at my uncle's grocery store which was 1 block from the main entrance to Hormel in Austin when I was 11 & by the time I was 13 I was running the cash register. My brother worked at the meat counter & helped our uncle write the weekly add for the Shopper. He was always talking about this week's "lost leader" even back then.................late 60's. A loss leader (also leader) is a pricing strategy where a product is sold at a price below its market cost to stimulate other sales of more profitable goods or services.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I worked in my Grandma's grocery store at the same age that you were doing it Gunner.  I thought it was fun.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Ugh.  I was boasting on my New York Strip Steak score from Aldi...   One was OK, but the other one was literally the worst steak I ever trimmed up.  It musta come of the end of the cow where you start cutting New York Strips because there was a big, thick, shoe-leathery tendon that ran right down the middle.  After I cut everything away, half of it was gone and I had to roll it and hold it together with a toothpick.  After that it was OK.

The moral of the story...  There is always a miss-and-hit aspect to shopping at Aldi.  I don't fault 'em.  And every once in a while you end up with a bad cut of meat - regardless of where you buy it.  I'll keep buying 'em at Aldi when I see 'em, but I might look a little closer at the packages before I dump them in my cart.

P.S.  I gave my wife the good 'un.  ;)  :chef:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good to know Steve-O. Haven't ventured forth to Aldi's but one of these days it might have to happen. Reputedly the produce section is decent at the one in Owatonna. With a local meat market where we have our lambs processed, along with access to home raised pork, whole chickens, beef, and a freezer with plenty of lamb in it, the meat counter probably won't be the 1st place there I visit.

I got a pair of gloves from one of the REC linemen boober. I find them indispensable for climbing the chain link fence after the Mrs. electrified it... ⚡⚡⚡ :coffee: 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Just about ready, momma has a broccoli  salad waiting.  Thing is with chicken, I always have room fer ice cream later on.. :happy1:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Just about ready, momma has a broccoli  salad waiting.  Thing is with chicken, I always have room fer ice cream later on.. :happy1:
STOP posting these at dinner time!  :hubba:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Looks good. Dry rub?
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You sure know how to do it right Bobb.  :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I hope boober made it over the chain link fence in time... :huh:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Nuttin too serious tonight,  brats n zookini chips. The second round of the zookini done in the air fryer,  they are friggin delicious!! No need fer fries with these guys..

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I always enjoy the toasted buns, but dang most of the time I forget to do it!!!!  good eats Bobber!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow bobber that looks awesome. How do you make the chips?

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow bobber that looks awesome. How do you make the chips?
She's been picking the zookini little,  slicing and tossing them in oil with seasonings. Not sure if she flips them in the air fryer, but the parmesan cheese really adds some flavor.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the cheese is a great added touch!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
about da only good place fer that zookini is in a cake!!! :surrender: :pouty:

may as well throw some cottage cheese on it!!!! :rotflmao: ;)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
about da only good place fer that zookini is in a cake!!! :surrender: :pouty:

may as well throw some cottage cheese on it!!!! :rotflmao: ;)
Don't you have some noodles to butter??  :rotflmao: :mooning:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After discovering the cupboards were bare, made an emergency  trip to Wagner's just before they closed. Hormel boneless center cuts, Mrs. Gerry's slaw & original recipe tater salad with some corn to round out the plate. Grilled this batch direct as I was going for speed. The wife had eaten already so wanted to let sleeping dogs lie. That & I was starving.  :coffee:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
dang thsat looks fantastic!!!!!!! my fav knife too!!!!  :sleazy:

kinda lookin like your takin a page outta Sharons book though??? :scratch: foods not touching!!!! :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man that is some good looking food Bobb and Dotch.  I wanted to plant a zucchini but never did.  Wonder if it is too late?  I have a pack of Nathans dogs that I am going to grill for lunch and them nuke the left overs for lunch tomorrow.  Will add Hormel chili and freshly chopped vidalia on them.  Sirloin from Aldi's later on.  It is thawing.   

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Barry, I dunno if there are any zucchini transplants left at any of the stores up there but they were tossed a few weeks back if you could even find them around here. I planted some from seed June 28th after buying a couple different varieties. Figured they were similar in maturity. Nope. The Dark Green was 50 days and the Black Beauty was 63 days. I stashed the Black Beauty and planted the Dark Green. They're coming along pretty well in this drier, warmer pattern we're in. Finners crossed that we go deep into the fall before it freezes. 🤞

Ya glenn, I thought about 'The Sharon Factor" as I was schlepping the vittles onto the plate, avoiding them touching as best I could, hence the little dish of corn. Can never be too careful.  :coffee:
« Last Edit: July 07/21/24, 03:39:37 PM by Dotch »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Dotch I thought it was late.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Pork steaks and the fixins.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks good!!  but where's the katchup???    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
*gasp* They're touching!  :rotflmao: