Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4901206 times)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
1) Robin Pie. Robins must have been popular on American tables in the 1800s. "The robins of the North have been driven South by the severity of the weather," reported the Pittsburgh Weekly Gazette on Feb. 8, 1868, "and the people of Pensacola are shooting and eating them."

Here's a recipe from Wehman's Cook Book, published in 1890: "Cover the bottom of a pie-dish with thin slices of beef and fat bacon, over which lay ten or twelve robins, previously rolled in flour, stuffed as above, season with a teaspoonful of salt, a quarter ditto of pepper, one of chopped parsley, and one of chopped eschalots, lay a bay-leaf over, add a gill of broth, and cover with three quarters of a pound of half puff taste, bake one hour in a moderate oven, shake well to make the gravy in the pie form a kind of sauce, and serve quite hot."

Today robins — and scores of other birds — are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

https://www.npr.org/sections/npr-history-dept/2015/08/18/432334575/4-foods-americans-don-t-eat-much-anymore

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I've heard that Glenn eats crow occasionally.    ;)   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :pouty: :pouty: ah geez now there bird seks talk here :doofus: :doofus: :doofus:

LPS I seen a few of your products at the decoy show!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Robins have been here for a few weeks now and some of the trees are sporting new leaves.

[attachment deleted by admin]
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
In his cookbook George Herter said there is no better eating than the first spring Robin.

Was that part one or part two of the Bull cookbook.  I think I have both of them laying around here somewhere.   

I still recall his advice from the guide book to urinate in a circle around your camp to keep bears away. :smiley:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't remember for sure del, it could have been in his guidebook too. If I remember right he was talking about clay-baking them. All of them are quite entertaining reading.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ever read The Complete Fisherman and Angler's Manual, by Francis Buzzacott? Written in 1913; I'm fortunate enough to have the BASS Anglers edition....pretty entertainimg reading. Still lots of relevant tips. I'd recommend grabbing one.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Fisherman-Anglers-Manual-Catch/dp/B000E7PEVE
« Last Edit: March 03/16/19, 02:23:07 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gents, we have 22* & maybe a 1/2" of snow. Might make 35* today, I guess. I seen some high 40's in the forecast for us by the end of the week, that should get the melt going again. :undecided: There's a couple small projects on my list for today, quiet after that. Have a good day guys.
« Last Edit: March 03/17/19, 08:19:53 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 17* here this morning, supposed to get into the 30s today. Big plans for today are fish. Then maybe pull the house into shore this evening. Just another day in Paradise. Have a good one.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
morning all, a good day yesterday at the decoy show...  lots of folks there in the morning but slowed down in the afternoon, but it was so nice out and it being St. Patty''s day things going on too..  things are getting better for the GF, but she still hurts for her Dad..  looks to be a good day so enjoy it folks!!!! have a good day all!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
84 miles Friday and 124 yesterday on the snowmobiles. Trails were still in pretty good shape. Time to put them away for the summer. Headed for home and some rest before it’s back to the grind tomorrow. Have a great day.

mm

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning all.  Calm here today and cloudy.  21 right now.  Looks like deep dark winter out.  Time for change.  Did some plowing yesterday to scrape some ice off the driveway and widened it out some too.  Not much going on today.  The Gophers got wailed on yesterday so our BB interest is pretty much over.  Gonna cook a nice corned beef today with cabbage carrots and onions. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good pic Markn!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Happy St. Pat's day guys.....

« Last Edit: March 03/17/19, 09:13:06 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1:  Nicely done Rebs. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Happy St. Pat's day guys.....
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea I seen the title ole rebby put under da picture...…………..to bad that's as close as he's getting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

morning reb!!!!!!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I hadn't noticed the title till you mentioned it Glenn.  Good one.  I may have to visit him now. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning folk. 25* out with a sinking yellow moon shrouded in fawg. Busy day ahead. Lawyer, courthouse, bank, groceries, Mom, parts store...... Have a good one guys.  :coffee:

Why did this make me think of MNO?  :rotflmao:

http://blondie.com/todays_strip/
« Last Edit: March 03/18/19, 06:17:21 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
 Thanks Mike. There was about 20 sleds more off to the right of the picture I didn't get in it. After a three day weekend this work thing kinda bites. Oh well, finish my coffee and have at it. Have a great day all.
mm

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 17* to start the day here, heading for the mid 30s today. I never did pull the house to shore yesterday. Decided to fish longer and pull it in after work today. I would probably leave it out longer, but the wife keeps bugging me to bring it in. Although it is getting warm enough to fish outside too. We had lots of action yesterday, but they were a lot of little ones. Although I did catch a fat 25-1/2 incher yesterday. That put a smile on my face. We certainly burned thru some minnows yesterday. Well, just another day in paradise. Have a good one boys.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great catch!!!!!    :applause:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice fish! :happy1: I see your roughing it too! :rotflmao:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice fish! :happy1: I see your roughing it too! :rotflmao:
Yep. That is why I am sad to pull the house in every year.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin guys, 16* headed for 40*. Think it got a bit warmer than expected yday as we had 36* ~ 4.  It looks like the ice will be gettin messy again as we've got 40's all week & ~ 50* by Thursday - Sunday in our forecast. Hope it cools off some at night & we don't get any rain so it doesn't all melt at once. :thumbs: Pretty light schedule again today, I'll find something outside to kill most of the morning. Hope your Monday's a good 1. :happy1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, darn nice fish JB!!!  well it was a good last few days but I'm sure glad they are over!!!  things are slowing down now for us and we like that!!!  get my taxes done today then check out the new Mexican restaurant in Alex for lunch..  then just go with what comes along!!  got some things done already this morning and a few others to do,  all small things too!!  have a good day all!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Beautiful morning.  The sun is just coming over the trees.  Gonna get some melting done I hope.  Nice fish JB.  Sounds like everyone is busy today.  I don't have a lot going on other than a drive to town to go to the Post Office. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Reb, got to love that Dagwood!!!!  good joke!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:azn:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It does fit in well here too.    :happy1: