Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4900796 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Afternoon peoples,  tgif is right. Ya that elm can suck to split...with an ax, speaking of wood dewalt finally came out with a pole saw so now I dont need to have different brand of batteries laying around, need to do some serious trimming here and out west. Sounds like it's going to be a nice weekend anyhow fellas, enjoy!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Can ya come down and do two high limbs on my apple? Can't reach, and they're dead.... :undecided:

Speaking of wood, had this laying around for may years; one of my favorites.

The Firewood Poem

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

The firewood poem was written by Celia Con

« Last Edit: August 08/23/19, 02:28:37 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I've got a regular pole saw if you want to go old school.    Be a week til i'm back if you can wait.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks. Got 3 of those. Too tight to do a back & forth saw on it.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Can ya come down and do two high limbs on my apple? Can't reach, and they're dead.... :undecided:

Speaking of wood, had this laying around for may years; one of my favorites.

The Firewood Poem

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

The firewood poem was written by Celia Con

Very nice Rebs.  I love the smell of  birch burning.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, 58 here going for 77..  looks like a good day to do any thing outside for sure!!!  nothing special going on today, help the GF and her family move their Dad's things out from the step Mom's place..  thinking tonight I will build a nice little fire and have a couple beers too..  have a good day all!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin boys, 56* to start here & headed for upper 70's, they say. Went out :fishing:, it was cloudy & kind of windy but had quite a bit of action. :cool: Only 1 nord for the box though. Not much real important on my list today, hopin you have a good 1.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Just turned on Fox to watch Vikings Game Day.  The game is on after that at noon.  The wife is back home so things are back to normal here.  The pets are calm as heck now.  LOL  Beautiful day here today.  Windy though. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, saying rain this afternoon..  could use some..  well got the majority of the GF's Dads things moved yesterday but when you have 86 years worth of stuff you can't do it all in one day..  even with 10 or so people..  too bad the step kids are being jerks...  only small things to do today and I like that..  did get some new doors on one of my sheds yesterday!!  the old doors were rotting out at the bottoms...  just got to paint them now..  have a good day all!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning all 58* and cloudy here. Rain later tonite and tomorrow. Finished staining all the deck posts and top railings yday, a real fun job. Only 4 sides to do to all ninety-some of them.
Been dealing with major Mom issues, insurance, and the idiotic place where she's at the last four days. It just never %$#@ ends. Mowed and trimmed after I did the deck, and put on my Fall fertilizer. Supposed to get 1" rain tonite, so perfect time. A month earlier than I normally do, but I go see the ortho surgeon tomorrow about leg/knee, and I want to get as much done around here as possible first. Nothing else for today, feeling the aches from yday, so just gonna lay low. Got some fat pigger chops I'm gonna do the sweet/sour plum sauce thing on....have a good day, guys.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gents, 59* when I went out for my boat ride. ;) It was rockin & rollin a bit out there.  Low 70's the high for today & rain by late afternoon, I hear. :scratch: My calendar looks pretty open again today, so I'll just play it by ear. Have a good Sunday,guys. :happy1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Looks like rain here around supper time.  I want to mow before that and I have a batch of wood to split and stack.  Still windy here.  I see the leaves on the boxelders are getting yellow and starting to fall.  When I lived in Luverne August was the hot month.  Here July seems to be that month and August is already pre-fall weather.  Have a great day all of you.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
mornin!! grillimg bear steak and chops gonna go get another prime rib and brisket to.day!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm eating the bfast of champions.....cawfee & cold pizza!  :tongue:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
No beer?   :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Never could do that....had some friends that could in the am.  :puke:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
No me neither.  I also didn't have a cigarette in the early morning neither back when I smoked. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 57 at choretime heading for a hi in the mid-70's. Feels good to be home after being on the road for most of a week then going to the State Fair yesterday to show sheep. That was a disaster as several of our animals had contracted soremouth and were quarantined so they couldn't be shown. Soremouth is no big deal. Once the scabs fall off it's no longer contagious and they were long gone on these. Overzealous naive newbie state fair vets nailed a lot of people for Mickey Mouse crap like that and not just in the sheep dept. It's a PITA to get in & out of the fairgrounds then to have every animal practically strip searched as they did will likely mean lower participation next year. Lower participation means fewer entry fees. Fewer entry fees means fewer $'s for the livestock dept's. Way to go nimrods!  :mad1:

Anyway, got the backyard picked up and ready to mow after chores. Tossed a bunch of leafy hackberry limbs over the fence along with a 5 gallon bucket of ground fall apples for the sheep. They tore into both like crazy. I went in the house to devour some of Auntie Mar Mar's coffee cake. Couldn't stop at one piece. Best get at it. Need to make a run to FF for some softener salt and other sundry items.

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Does Auntie Mar mar need an Uncle Mark mark? :rotflmao:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
No me neither.  I also didn't have a cigarette in the early morning neither back when I smoked.

Back in the days when I was really puffing I would wake up in the middle of the night and smoke one sitting on the edge of the bed. The warden did not approve of that so much. My dad is the only one I knew who would have a smoke in the middle of a meal. Chesterfields were his brand.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow, that is hooked Roony.  Good for you for getting off them.  Best thing I ever did.  It was 1987 for me.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I had a friend that just loved beer.  Not necessarily to get drunk but that was part of it I guess.  He just loved beer.  Couldn't be without one when not at work.  He told me that some nights he had to wake up and have a beer in the middle of the night.   :doofus: :doofus:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to have to have a couple the second I woke up in the am.....and about three along with my cawfee. Sure don't miss it. Can't STAND the slightest smell of 'em now. Been 14 yrs ago I quit.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I quit on Ash Wednesday of 2000. Let's see, that's about 80 pounds ago.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You GAINED 80 lbs?   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  The sign of a good cook.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
That's only about 4 lbs a year.  :confused: :confused: :confused:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's only about 4 lbs a year.  :confused: :confused: :confused:

Or 4 lbs per burger... ;)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm afraid of that same thing Rooney if I quit chewin, some day. Afternoon peoples what a great weekend,  I had the oldest over here to help load up 3 pick em up loads of maple logs laying in the back from previous cut downs yesterday,  delivered to several different people then came back and went to town trimming with the new dewalt pole saw. That is a nice tool to have, although in the end now I have more maple to stack and burn.. no big deal I guess,  I just dont burn like we used to. A wood insert would help that problem tho..  :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So our 80% rain that was going to start at 3 then 7 then 9 is now going to drift in about midnight.  Supposed to rain on and off till Tuesday.  LOLOL  I don't see it happening.  For some reason it all dries up just as it get here this year. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good mornin..  63 here going for 72..  very light rain here.  got some rain yesterday afternoon too.  just a few small things to do today. so just go with it kind of day..  looks like a rainy day overall anyway..  have a good day all!!