Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4952480 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good move!!!  haven't heard anything about tornadoes, just straight line winds, at least around here...

There had to be some sort of rotation here cause the 🌲 are not laying down in the same direction. Either way, I gotta clean it up.

Nobody here but me Gunner... But I guess my son-in-law is coming when he gets off work.

what areas of your yard got hit??  or all over??? 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I see where KARE 11 has a report of 2 tornados around Milaca last night, 1 north of town & the other SE.  How far from you is that?
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow, glad that stuff didn't hit us.  We got some rain and that was about it.   Looked like a little ways south got clobbered.   

Good to hear everyone is ok.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I see where KARE 11 has a report of 2 tornados around Milaca last night, 1 north of town & the other SE.  How far from you is that?

if I remember correctly that isn't very far from him!!!  WOW!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Bummer HD. Them tornaders ain't fun. Iff'n ya lived closer I'd be over there. Pulled the neighbor out of the ditch the other day to stay in practice.  :huh: Nothing damaged here other than a small limb. Tossed it over the fence so the sheep could gnaw the leaves off.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Stay hydrated, it is awful hot to be cutting up trees

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The 2 Maple's in front will have to come down. I can't see any grass in the back yard,  I'm guessing 8 🌲 back there.... I took a trip to the back 40, and there's 19 🌲 down across the trails that will need to be cleared before 🦌 season.

Gunner, I'm southeast of milaca

The electric company dude stopped by to chat, he said it was a twister.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Stay hydrated, it is awful hot to be cutting up trees

Oh, I am doing that!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
man that is so sad all those trees!!  sure going to change how your yard will look now.....  just glad yer all OK.... 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sometimes home owners insurance will cover storm damage like that too HD..  might be worth checking into, I know mine did years ago...  hope this maybe helps ya... 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That stinks HD, wish I was home I'd give ya a hand. Not getting as hot as tgey said here, 83 and been cloudy since we came off tge lake this morning.  Keep cool gents..

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The 2 Maple's in front will have to come down. I can't see any grass in the back yard,  I'm guessing 8 🌲 back there.... I took a trip to the back 40, and there's 19 🌲 down across the trails that will need to be cleared before 🦌 season.

Gunner, I'm southeast of milaca

The electric company dude stopped by to chat, he said it was a twister.
That's what I thought from what you've told us before. Sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead you cleaning it up. :pouty: On the bright side, at least you, your family,  house & the rest of your buildings are OK. :happy1: :cool:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, I see some more nasty weather down by the cities last night..  hope all are good and safe...  did get some light rain yesterday afternoon but that was it...  64 here going for 77 so that will be nicer..  have a good day all!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 64 here this morning and only supposed to make 70 today with a chance of rain. Mostly cloudy now with the sun poking thru every now and then. Sucks to here about all the tree damage HD. Lots of camp fire wood the way it sounds. Well, we got the grand kids back to their parents yesterday afternoon. They were camping in Crosslake then heading home today. About the only thing on the agenda for today is put in the new flagpole we but if the rain holds off. Otherwise it will be a go with the flow kind of day. Have a good one boys.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin boys, 64* when I went out & the high will be 71*, I hear. Pretty toasty yday afternoon again here, today will be a nice change. :happy1: I see WCCO had a short piece @6 last night on all the damage in HD's area. Think that rain the other day has kicked in as the grass is lookin shaggy so I'll  work on that , at least part of it, today. Time for our usual Sunday stroll over to the Bstore for the paper & I want a couple things, so I better roll. Hopin your Sunday's a good 1. :cool:
« Last Edit: July 07/19/20, 09:09:56 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey JB, the other day you were talkin about pullin some of smaller Taildancer's when you were  :fishing: with the grandson. I have a few of those & I'm wantin to give 'em a try so I was wonderin :scratch: what speed do you like & ~ how much of the 10#  braid gets you  15-17' deep. Been marking a lot of  :fish2: but there all usually up high, 15' or less. Rod holders or not?  :confused: Thanks!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
My methods are not very scientific. I am just using a baitcast reel and let line out until it hits bottom. Then reel some back in. If I had to guess around a 100' of line. I now kinda know how much to let out just looking at the spool. They dive pretty quickly. If you have line counters I would start at a 100' and experiment from there. Good luck.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh and I mostly hold onto the rod, but use for holders some time.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Neighbor sent me some photos of damage around the hood. Grain bins, silo's and barns.  :pouty:

Oh, well.... going to do some pickling this morning then back outside to work on the mess. Probably get more done with this cooler weather. Have a good day boys!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen some of the damage on the news this morning too, just nasty as all get out... 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 68 at choretime heading for a high in the low 80's. Got dry cleaned here, no rain or wind as was initially forecast. If I'd rolled the dice I could've mowed hay yesterday & likely had it dry enough to bale tomorrow afternoon. Now it looks like rain again by tomorrow night into Tuesday,  then again Thursday. :scratch: It'll get done eventually, just wish we had a better forecast near term. The whole process of baling hay sux.  :angry:

I feel for you HD & everyone who had damage in this last round of storms. In '96, it scattered our then new 40×72 pole barn a half mile across the neighbor's fields. Also lost some lambs & numerous trees. Moved sheep & lambs to several locations. Royal PITA.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Storm damage is a real PITA. Knock on wood, but fortunately up here we don't get to much of it up here in the tundra. HD, so do you know any Strombergs in your neck of the woods?

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
My methods are not very scientific. I am just using a baitcast reel and let line out until it hits bottom. Then reel some back in. If I had to guess around a 100' of line. I now kinda know how much to let out just looking at the spool. They dive pretty quickly. If you have line counters I would start at a 100' and experiment from there. Good luck.
Oh and I mostly hold onto the rod, but use for holders some time.
:happy1: :cool: Not sure  :scratch: if I'll use my line counter set up or not as that's pretty heavy duty but I also have a heavier spinning unit with 10# braid on it & a baitcaster set up but that's has 8-10# mono on it that would all probably work. Have to see, might just use your method to get the depth I want. What do use to troll? Your main outboard, a kicker, or a bow mount electric?

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I usually troll with my main motor. It is a 90 horse Mariner. At idle it will troll around 3 mph.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, up here it is rocking like a hurricane.   Howling wind, sprinkles, and 70 degrees.  no   :fish2: in those conditions.   

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Been marking a lot of  :fish2: but there all usually up high, 15' or less. Rod holders or not?  :confused: Thanks!!
  Thermocline fish Gunner ?  I'd run something at those depths first, sometimes tho tgey aren't real aggressive but might pick one up here or there. If nothing toss on a swim jig and dangle it in front of them.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Storm damage is a real PITA. Knock on wood, but fortunately up here we don't get to much of it up here in the tundra. HD, so do you know any Strombergs in your neck of the woods?

Name sounds familiar, but nope, not personally.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Been marking a lot of  :fish2: but there all usually up high, 15' or less. Rod holders or not?  :confused: Thanks!!
  Thermocline fish Gunner ?  I'd run something at those depths first, sometimes tho tgey aren't real aggressive but might pick one up here or there. If nothing toss on a swim jig and dangle it in front of them.
  :scratch: Thought I seen a thermocline in 1 area & it was closer to 23' & typically that's ~ where it is, near 25', if we have 1. Almost any northerly wind &/or from the south keeps this lake mixed up pretty good so we don't have it thermocline that often though. Got some ideas to try, we'll see. Hard to keep anything in front of them very long with the wind we've got today. :crazy:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Name sounds familiar, but nope, not personally.
Thanks. Just Curious. Used to work with a Stromberg for a lot of years when I worked down in Anoka.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 60 here this morning and supposed to be around 70 today. Back in the salt mines today. I could have gotten used to staying at home and fishing more. Went and picked another 2 gallons of blue berries yesterday afternoon. Was a nice cool day for it. Otherwise just another day in paradise. Have a good one boys.