Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4901217 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Everyone else must be sleeping late but Mike and me.  We had some thunder and lightning and a little over a 1/4" of rain.  We needed it.  Our grass is actually crunch in spots.  Not sure what is up today.  No big plans and that is ok.  We have gotten a lot done lately so maybe a relaxing day today. ??? 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin all, we had 68* & 2.5" of rain yday when I looked earlier. We left Austin ~ 1:30 Friday morning & were in Deer River at Sportsman's Cafe at 6:30 yday. Some bfast & a couple things from the grocery store & we were out here by 8. The yard looked like we needed the rain but I don't know about that much. Sis & BIL are on their way & should be arriving shortly. That's all I've got for today, have a good day.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 64 here this morning heading for 80 something today. Yep I was comfy in bed this morning. We to got some thunder and lightning overnight, but only .02" of rain. Have the sprinklers running now. Not sure what the plans are for today. Move dirt or go scouting for bear hunting spots. I think I know where I am leaning. First thing though will be to finish putting my skid steer back together. Otherwise just another day in paradise. Have a good one boys.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
no rain here at all!!  Gunner got the majority of it!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 71 at choretime heading for a high in the mid-80's. A lot of tearing around on the slate for today. Need to make a run to get sweet corn and then to the meat market. After that it's run the other direction to get charcoal, dog food & gin. In the meantime I gotta compost a smaller ewe lamb. She didn't want to eat last nite. When I caught her to see what night be ailing her she was difficult to catch so thought she would probably be OK. Wrong. Deader'n a doornail this a.m. Suspect she might've grabbed a small nightshade plant in their lot yesterday. Couldn't find any but if it was a small one and she ate all of it, I wouldn't see it. Toxins are the most concentrated in it when it's small and smaller lambs are more susceptible.  :sad:   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Isn't there a fruit from nightshade that's eatable?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
this is what I found;

Some birds can eat the berries of deadly nightshade although they are more likely to take fruits from other plant species. The berries are also poisonous to various mammals, but eaten by rabbits and even cows!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Nightshade has been on my s**t list since I was a kid. I remember Dad believing he found some in frozen peas one time so that got me started. Never had any trouble with it on livestock growing up. Once I got over this direction, nightshade became the devil. In the mid-80's, we still didn't have good herbicides to consistently control it in soybeans. The sticky purple berries stained the soybeans, plugged combines and pit drags in the elevator where I worked. Got to the point where wouldn't take them if it was bad enough. The stain on the beans would get a field of soybeans being raised for seed rejected. Same thing for a field of peas only since they're harvested earlier, the berries were green and nearly indistinguishable from the peas at first glance. If it was found in the field in small areas they'd harvest around it. If it was widespread the field would be rejected. If you ate some it probably wouldn't kill you but it could give you a pretty nasty gut ache. Since we've been raising sheep here and in particular lambs I've probably lost a half dozen over the last 30 years to it. Sneaky weed, comes later and can grow in the shady areas. Birds distribute the seed after they eat the berries making it tough to stay on top of.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't actually "like" it Dotch just found it very interesting.  We have some kind of ornamental small tree/bush in our grove.  If we keep them trimmed up they are nice but we don't even know what they are.  Seems they last 10 years or so.  Kind of a flower like a lilac then turns into a clump of small reddish/orangish berries.  10-12 tall or so.  I will get a pick of one for you to look at. 

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Isn't there a fruit from nightshade that's eatable?
Tomatoes and peppers are related to nightshade. I think there’s a couple others, too. Eggplant and maybe even potatoes.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Correct on all counts fw.  :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, 68 going for 85 here today..  got some rain but just enough to wet the ground..  looks like north and east of us is getting the most of it so far...  have a good day all!! 

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
morning boys. 64 here this morning. I think it is supposed to be around that 80 mark again here today. I think we are supposed to get some rain at some point today too. I got my skid steer all back together and gave it an oil change while I was at it. Good to go now. Went and did some scouting for bear hunting. Pretty much have our spots picked out. Boy the mcskeeters are thick out there. Going to need lots of bug spray. Well if the rains holds off, I will try and do some dirt moving today. Otherwise just another day in paradise. Have a good one boys.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  It got cool last night.  I woke up cuz my feet were cold.  Hard to believe it id going to get hot today.  Didn't get as hot as they said yesterday.  Got some brush burning done but nothing too strenuous.  Came in and saw the Twins were playing.  Watched an inning or two and the wife noticed it was a replay.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  That ended that program.  LOL  Not sure what is in the cards today.  May watch some more golf.  Have a great day.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin boys, we had 65* when I went to watch the sun come up from the boat. Just as I was motorin around checkin a spot out & thinkin about comin in, it started to pour. :pouty: That round let up but it's started again after bfast. It got pretty dark here ~ a 1/2 hours or so again.  Can tell glenn's been in the neighborhood.  ;) :laugh: :laugh: Nothin big in the works here, hope your Sunday's a good 1.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 71 at choretime heading for a high in the mid-80's. Had .10" of rain at the ranch and .15" in Bugtussle over the past 24 hrs. Not a lot on tap for today other than play with the weedeater & maybe take a nap. Got a little drunk out last nite. Hadn't been able to get together w/Auntie Mar Mar for the 4th of July so we feasted & tied one on. Then some damn kids set off fireworks! Oh wait, there were no kids... :scratch: Just fortunate we decided not to do any shots to end the evening. Was tempting. That might not have ended well.  :embarrassed:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks and sounds like a good time Dotch!!!!     :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Give her a hug from all of us Dotch.  Aunts are special people. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
she looks younger than him too!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Truth be told Barry that ain't my aunt!  :rotflmao: She's a family friend who has worked with Mrs. Cheviot over the years. We pastured some sheep at her & Unkie Greggie's place when they lived by Clarks Grove. She got that name because her nieces and nephews couldn't pronounce Marilynne so they just called her Mar Mar. The name stuck. The lady is funnier than hell not to mention a regular party animal.  :happy1: 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great!  Sound like a wonderful lady!  You can still give her a hug.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There is some pretty bad weather going right through Boars country right now.  Hail, damaging winds and telling people to head for the basement.  I am betting Boar is on the roof watching.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Seriously I hope he is ok. 

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Earlier there was a bunch of carp coming straight at us but fortunately it petered out some and all we got was some thunder and rain.    Now the sun is out, hummer is at feeder, all is good.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Funny you should say that Del.  Carp is a small community in southern LOW county.  It is going to hit there in a few minutes with a tornado warning.  JB should be in the bad stuff in half an hour and us right behind him.  Lot of red and I don't mean Republicans coming this way.   :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Mornin all, we had 68* & 2.5" of rain yday when I looked earlier. We left Austin ~ 1:30 Friday morning & were in Deer River at Sportsman's Cafe at 6:30 yday. Some bfast & a couple things from the grocery store & we were out here by 8. The yard looked like we needed the rain but I don't know about that much. Sis & BIL are on their way & should be arriving shortly. That's all I've got for today, have a good day.
i dumped 3 inches out sat morning. no wind. when i left this morning it was raining.. bemidji radio station said it could get a little nasty today.

OH YEA..........I/M BAAACCCCK!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd: :happy1: THINGS went well in grand rapids thursday.........after 6 years we have a contract with the assembly group.......42 new members!!!! :happy1: that was the last negotiations i will do and the easiest. last wed i also had my last Arbitration. hope i go out a winner there.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Atta boy Glenn,  pertnear 1 foot out the door. I see its pretty crappy up north gents, grab some cellar if need be but don't grab yur ankles..lol. We went and checked out the new Sheels sporting goods store today,  grabbed the kid a bait casting rod, myself a new bird vest, this one has several inside zipper pockets and a couple of water bottle pockets which is a must. Well short work week again then its water time..See ya!!
« Last Edit: August 08/09/20, 06:20:56 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :pouty: you've been having a lot of short workweeks lately.. :scratch: :doah: :rotflmao: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Kinda nice, although we saved days for another west coast road trip but we all know why that ain't happening this year. Use em or lose em.
« Last Edit: August 08/09/20, 06:28:41 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Just went through another wave.   Good thing I didn't need to go to the basement since the cabin doesn't have one.  Buddy down the road put in at "texas room" as the closet in their bedroom when he did his new cabin.   Supposed to be tornado proof.   

I just take my chances.   

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 53 and clear here this morning. We were just on the northern tip of the nasty weather yesterday. Ended up with .7" of rain. The nasty stuff was heading straight for LPS. Hope it wasn't to nasty Barry. Glad we weren't down in Beltrami when that came through. I got started on my dirt work project and then the rain shut me down. Not much new here. Just another day in the salt mines.