Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4901266 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Headed to the landfill today to depose of half a pickup load of deer heads, rotten hides and legs that we have picked up in our Hides for Habitat boxes. Figure it should cost us about $75.00 to $100.00 to get rid of them this trip. Then it's off to the carwash again. When I was in Brainerd yesterday I called a gentleman in St. Cloud and ended up going there after we unloaded my trailer to pick up an acetylene torch set, complete for $400.00. Thought that was a decent price. Time to get to it, later.... :happy1: :happy1:
my brother lives out in wisconsin south of wausau, takes his hides to the fleet farm there, they give a $5.00 in store coupon per hide, he  said they really started looking them over for that same reason Mark..........bad hides!!!!!!!!

morning fellers........ just another day in the life of a former union thug!!!!!! :happy1: think i'll head up town later and check off a few things off the to do list, like get gas for the wheelers and my spearing and shelter license!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: i still have money left from mt st cloud trip!!!!!! :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Cool and not too windy here for a change.  We both go to the Dr. today for checkups.  Will have that done by 10:30 I hope.  Then we are going to the grocery store to get a turkey.  Will put it in the beer fridge in the garage.  It takes 4 or 5 days for it to thaw out there.  Should work perfect.  Then I don't know what is in store for the rest of the day.  I will find out though.  Cool to have a torch Markn.  Especially with a shed like you have.  Couldn't be without one.  Don't use it often but sometimes you just need it.  Have a good one boys.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
markn,
We haven't had any spoiled hides but do get a number of heads and legs. We bag them along with meat and fat trimmed from the hides during salting. Several of us just disposed of them in our trash bins. One guy will get a call from the local DNR warden. Someone deposited a whole carcass head, rib cage, legs, etc in a big plastic bag. He also left is tag on the leg. Besides having to dispose of his garbage there was one other issue. The tag was NOT filled out. No registration number.  The DNR picked up the tag and will handle it. I don't know if the deer was registered or not. If the box had a sign indicating "No Heads or Legs" the person could be charged with littering. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
And while we are on the topic...

I know it is largely dependent on the conditions, but in general, how long can a hide go before it should be salted?

I know sooner is better, but is a couple/few days OK?
What about a week?
Or more?
 :confused:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! Overnite low of 17, 15 at choretime on the way to a high around 40. Oh well at least it's still windy, steady winds around 20 mph gusting to 25 and up to 35 mph. It'll wear all the leaves out I haven't ground up by blowing them back and forth at this rate. Tomorrow sounds like the better day of the weekend here so should be able to get at the leaf grinding along with oil changes, dropping some bales in the feedlot, trimming some trees up, etc. May look at some electric chainsaws over the weekend. Took my gasser to the neighbor to have him fix it. Plenty of bigger stuff to cut up. Be nice tho to have a reliable smaller saw for putzing around the yard, limbing, smaller brush,  etc.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I said it isn't windy here today.   :crazy:  When I walked outside it is blowing like crazy again.  So much for my weather observations.  Got a 14 lb turkey today.  It is in the beer frig. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I said it isn't windy here today.   :crazy:  When I walked outside it is blowing like crazy again.  So much for my weather observations.  Got a 14 lb turkey today.  It is in the beer frig.
Yea gunner woke up. :nerd: :nerd: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have never found this recipe board.  Where is it?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
OK found it in the small red print under BBQ.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
OK found it in the small red print under BBQ.
:happy1: :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
oh my!!   :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: :doah: Whatta you mean :scratch: its ALWAYS windy here :rolleyes:, unless somebody is up at the cabin. :whistling:                 ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: November 11/19/21, 03:43:07 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Afternoon gents,  been thinking gunner you guys spent a pile of time up north this year, any thoughts on making it permanent? That's my goal someday.  The kid and I are heading southwest in the morning to see if there are any ditch chickens left out that away,  just a day shot but im sure the fields will be full of others doing the same. Been trying to hide what's going on from the pooch but I can't get Nuttin by him... See ya!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Afternoon gents,  been thinking gunner you guys spent a pile of time up north this year, any thoughts on making it permanent? That's my goal someday.  The kid and I are heading southwest in the morning to see if there are any ditch chickens left out that away,  just a day shot but im sure the fields will be full of others doing the same. Been trying to hide what's going on from the pooch but I can't get Nuttin by him... See ya!!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: mine either.......he sees my truck keys, put my coat on.....he goes goofy!!!!!! :surrender: :rotflmao:

good luck bud....shoot straight!!!!!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
You get him out chasing birds yet Glenn ? We should do a rowster gtg with HD, the General and whoever wants to go out!
« Last Edit: November 11/19/21, 05:23:29 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea i had him up north chasing tree chickens.......its a work in progress!!!!!!!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye, We lucked out and found a place that will take the bad hides, legs, heads, ect. I dropped off a almost a half a pickup load today. As far as how long hides will last, that's all dependent on the outside temp., how they are done and where they are kept. Whenever we see a black plastic bag and it's above freezing it usually means we'll find something reallllllly bad in it. I had one of them bombs in the box at the end of my driveway this afternoon. Probably one of the worst hides I've ever come across. Almost barfed me. We love to take in the hides because the monies get used for habitat projects, used for kids camperships and shooting sports (firearm safety classes and trapshooting mainly). Leaving heads, legs and carcasses just take the net money away from the MDHA chapters that are participating in the program by paying to get rid of the excess. Thanks to everyone that did and will donate their hides to us this year. I hope to see more people donate next year. Thanks, Mark.   
mm

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 24 here with a westerly breeze. Supposed to get into low 30s today. Got the grandson in a stand and I am in the blind since the wife didn't get out of bed. Deer hunt will be the plan for today. Have a good one boys.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, good luck to ya JB and your grandson!!  28 here and might see 39...   GF's thanksgiving get together is today and I said I'd go..  it will be fun..   I did finally get the gutters cleaned for the last time yesterday for this fall..  kinda of messy but it's done..  have a good day all!!    :happy1: 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Having some java now.  No big plans for the day but I am sure something will pop up.  The wife is watching Hallmark now so I am in the office.  She gets mad when I make my funny to me comments on it when watching.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  It is safer here.  Got a 14 lb turkey yesterday so that is taken care of. 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Heading up to the land today. No hunting planned. Each fall our MDHA chapter and two others sponsor a Youth Mentored Deer hunt in the Near Baker Wilderness Park. 8-12 youths are selected from the Forkhorn Camps held during the summer. One of our Chapter members is a mentor and he is bringing his youth hunter up to our land to scout, climb in stands, shoot and generally learn about deer hunting. Should be fun. I hope to be able to show him some deer as well. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Heading up to the land today. No hunting planned. Each fall our MDHA chapter and two others sponsor a Youth Mentored Deer hunt in the Near Baker Wilderness Park. 8-12 youths are selected from the Forkhorn Camps held during the summer. One of our Chapter members is a mentor and he is bringing his youth hunter up to our land to scout, climb in stands, shoot and generally learn about deer hunting. Should be fun. I hope to be able to show him some deer as well.
nice going deadeye!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Having some java now.  No big plans for the day but I am sure something will pop up.  The wife is watching Hallmark now so I am in the office.  She gets mad when I make my funny to me comments on it when watching.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  It is safer here.  Got a 14 lb turkey yesterday so that is taken care of.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: well your lucky you only have to deal with hallmark........i gotta deal with hallmark and lifetime!!!!!!!! :confused: :thumbs: :doofus: and all the christmas movies already started!!!!!!! :pouty: :puke:

probably leftovers again today!!!!!!! but nuttin wrong with that!!!!!!!

morning fellers..........sounds like today will be the better of the days this weekend to be outside. supposed to be really bad ass windy tomorrow!!!!!! i may take the big terrorist dog with me later and drive by the lakes to see if there still there.  :rotflmao:

i'm one step closer to go up spearing, picked up my spearing and shelter license yesterday....and gas for snowmobile and wheelers!!!!!! :happy1:
« Last Edit: November 11/20/21, 08:27:15 AM by glenn57 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gang, 34* now & it sounds like we'll get close to 50* later. Yeah, Bobber, that's our long range plan. Got a couple things I'd like to get to before the football starts. Not much else here, have a good1.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gang, 34* now & it sounds like we'll get close to 50* later. Yeah, Bobber, that's our long range plan. Got a couple things I'd like to get to before the football starts. Not much else here, have a good1.
oh NO........... not permanent up there.......... :confused: there aint enough room!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :nerd: :laughroll: :laughroll:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 33 at choretime, heading for a high in the low to mid-40's, depending on how much cloud cover we get. Sun breaks thru now and then but looking cloudier than sunnier. :undecided: Got a honeydew list unloaded in my lap for Thanksgiving stuff. Sorta blows any chance of looking at electric chainsaws for today other than online. :sad: Plenty of my own stuff to do as well so better get at it. We're burnin' daylight, pilgrim... :cool:   
« Last Edit: November 11/20/21, 09:55:17 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
You always get all the honeydew.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: I reckon this may be the last one of the year.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice fire! :happy1: morning boys. 26 and hold on to your hat kind of day. It is really blowing and some snow coming down too.  Grandson and I are out hunting this AM. See how long we can make it. He shot a nice big doe yesterday morning. So if it wasn't for him wanting to hunt this morning I would not have come out. They have to head home after breakfast. Just another day in paradise. Have a good one boys.
Hey look your bobber is up!