Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4901095 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 15 at choretime heading for a high near 30. Blustery wind out of the south making it feel a lot colder than yesterday. Ground thru 6 loads of chit yesterday. Some of the orneriest pack manure I've ever dealt with. Doesn't come loose, have to pick at it to get a bucket full & goes thru the spreader kinda crappy, pun intended. Gotta fuel up & time to get back at it. Hopefully can finish the main barn today. Fun never stops.  :rolleyes:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Went to the Falls yesterday to do some shopping.  Ate at Hardees and the burger was 1/2 as thick as usual and seemed like some precooked thing.  Disappointing.  Otherwise had a fun trip.  SO the wind is howling here and the little windmill said from the NW.  The snow is blowing off the roofs heading to the north.  HHmm..   When I fed the horses I checked the windmill and it froze in position when we had that freezing rain.  No wonder we have had a NW wind for a week.  LOL  I broke it loose and lubed it up. It is 18 here now but feels a lot colder with the wind howling.  Gonna watch some football today.  We have been watching Yellowstone lately.  Bought it on Amazon.  Now it is on the Paramount channel every Sunday and it is so loaded with commercials that we bought it and rewatched it up to date with no commercials.  Like a different show.  It is awesome too.  Not some pansy show neither.  Great scenery in many ways and is a kick ass cowboy show.  It was $19.95 per season and about 10 episodes per season.  Well worth it if you like cowboy shows.  Great trucks too....  You all have a good one.  Be careful out there JB.  Good luck with the spear Cooperman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya have fun jb!! Mornin peoples looks like a couple inches of snow outside,  kinda crazy a week ago we got 17" and by Thursday it was all gone. Well I tried out the Traeger last night, was pretty full with 3 spuds, 3 thick ribeyes,  6 skewers of shrimp and a small cast iron pan with shrooms.  The problem was I had it set at 450 and the highest it got was 366, so it took a while.  The taters and shrimp were wonderful,  the steak got done but didn't get seared which I like. Might hafta give Traeger a call to see what one can do. Anywho,  got Xmas this afternoon with da wife's side. See ya!!

I really like our pellet grill but even if it can get up to 500 degrees that is not hot enough to sear a steak unless it is right by the fire.  I even got those grill grates for $100.  They are aluminum and supposed to absorb enough heat so you can grill a steak on a pellet grill.  Still didn't work.  That's why I bought another gas grill so I could sear a steak.  I will sell you the grill grates for $20 plus shipping if you are interested.  I may even drop the price.  LOL  I like some smoke on my steak too so was disappointed so I just throw some wood on the gas grill to get the smoked flavor.  They are more like an oven.  I had a Holland grill years ago and it too didn't do a good job on steaks.  More like an oven.  Also I lay one of my remote probes on the grate of the pellet stove to get the real grate temp. 
« Last Edit: December 12/19/21, 12:15:24 PM by LPS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: so?????? by searing the meat, do you mean darkening the outside???????

me no like burnt meat or taters fer that matter!!!!!!! :tut: :tut:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
   :doah: That's NOT searing a steak, that's burning a steak!  :pouty:  :doofus: https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/how-to-properly-sear-a-steak/
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
afternoon folks, made it back from Monticello..  the area on 94 from Waite park to almost Collegeville were very nasty!!!  accidents all over there!!!  seen crap that didn't look good so I had already slowed down..  very glad we did!!!  still folks don't seem to care...  had a good time with the kids and grandkids!!  and had a great porketta supper too!!!  and the we had a great tasting biscuit and gravy with eggs casserole for breakfast!!  nice fish JB!!   and Glenn congrats to the grand daughter!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Glenn, searing it is tossing the meat on a hot grill and sealing the juices inside. What you do is drying the meat out, but it works that way with the swill you drink.

I have a electric countertop Treager, I don't like it. Have only used it a couple of times. I have a higher end gas Weber that I like. In fact just did a couple thick cut pork chops yesterday. Awesome grill.

Got some snow coming down now, looks like the wind is from the South.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, searing it is tossing the meat on a hot grill and sealing the juices inside. What you do is drying the meat out, but it works that way with the swill you drink.

I have a electric countertop Treager, I don't like it. Have only used it a couple of times. I have a higher end gas Weber that I like. In fact just did a couple thick cut pork chops yesterday. Awesome grill.

Got some snow coming down now, looks like the wind is from the South.
:pouty: :pouty: :rotflmao: I have no problem with dried out meat!!👍 And that so called swill as you call it is top of the line swill bud!!🤭 :happy1:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
6 cases for $10 isn't top of the line.   ;) 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
6 cases for $10 isn't top of the line.   ;)
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea i wish!!!!!!!!! but i did just buy 3 cases and will get a $15.00 rebate!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Dutchboy wanna sell that counter top treager??
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya have fun jb!! Mornin peoples looks like a couple inches of snow outside,  kinda crazy a week ago we got 17" and by Thursday it was all gone. Well I tried out the Traeger last night, was pretty full with 3 spuds, 3 thick ribeyes,  6 skewers of shrimp and a small cast iron pan with shrooms.  The problem was I had it set at 450 and the highest it got was 366, so it took a while.  The taters and shrimp were wonderful,  the steak got done but didn't get seared which I like. Might hafta give Traeger a call to see what one can do. Anywho,  got Xmas this afternoon with da wife's side. See ya!!

I really like our pellet grill but even if it can get up to 500 degrees that is not hot enough to sear a steak unless it is right by the fire.  I even got those grill grates for $100.  They are aluminum and supposed to absorb enough heat so you can grill a steak on a pellet grill.  Still didn't work.  That's why I bought another gas grill so I could sear a steak.  I will sell you the grill grates for $20 plus shipping if you are interested.  I may even drop the price.  LOL  I like some smoke on my steak too so was disappointed so I just throw some wood on the gas grill to get the smoked flavor.  They are more like an oven.  I had a Holland grill years ago and it too didn't do a good job on steaks.  More like an oven.  Also I lay one of my remote probes on the grate of the pellet stove to get the real grate temp.
Your right about  it being an outdoor oven. Today I did chicken quarters,  set it at 350 and it did super, really moist meat but not so crunchy skin. If ya ask me the flame shield pan is way to big, but that's the way this thing is designed, at an angle to hit the drip bucket. It wasn't the brand I'd buy, it was a freebie.. God I hate watching the packers..
« Last Edit: December 12/19/21, 05:59:55 PM by Bobberineyes »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We like the Yellowstone series too LPS.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Dutchboy wanna sell that counter top treager??

Make a offer more than Glenn pays for beer.    :rotflmao:

Yes, I will. Make me a reasonable offer.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Morin monday fellers.... cold damp out the door 20 degrees,less wind from yesterday which helps,took a long country drive heading north along the missouri river from chamberlain,creedmoor 6.5 in tow just in case we came across a few coyotes....,sadly neglected to bring our shotguns,late evening pheasants were all grouped up graveling along the gravel roads,huge flocks of mallards tornadoing picked corn fields,other than the wind it was a great day/weekend.

couldn't shake the chills when we got home late yesterday,cranked up the fireplace,hot shower helped and put me to sleep around 630pm last I remember,then wide awake at 12am,pup needed out...gonna be a long day as falling back to sleep was outof the question,pup decided enough sleep,he emptied his entire toy box in my lap sitting on the recliner,he decided it was play time,little rascal.
« Last Edit: December 12/20/21, 07:28:06 AM by snow1 »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 4 above here this morning and not getting above 10 today. Making some more ice is a good thing I guess. Ya Snow that waking up and not being able to get back to sleep makes for a long day at work. Caught some nice keepers yesterday. Went in at 10:30 and cooked them up with eggs and hashbrowns. Wife and I had ourselves a good brunch. Not much else here, just another day in the salt mines. Have a good one boys.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice JB... fishing the river?,are the fish shallow? curious as the walleyes we are catching in south dakota are in they're fall pattern,8-10fow,mixed in with perch,white bass,catfish,buddy caught a couple dandy black crappie,never know what lurks below.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Going to car wash today to clean out the bed of the pick up and tandem trailer of deer hide residue. Stop for a box of beer and maybe lunch in town before heading home. Other than that not much, later.... :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, 13 here and that sounds like the high today too..  sounds like a chance for light snow...  same tomorrow for snow, it's winter..  sure is nice to be back home..  but it was a great get together too!!  got a couple things to do today and make one errand too.. got a few things to do here too..  so I'll be busy enough..   have a good day all!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gents, it's 21* here in the southland & 31* is 'sposed to be the high. Got a couple things on my radar for early today, nothin urgent. Not much else here, enjoy your day.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice JB... fishing the river?,are the fish shallow? curious as the walleyes we are catching in south dakota are in they're fall pattern,8-10fow,mixed in with perch,white bass,catfish,buddy caught a couple dandy black crappie,never know what lurks below.
I am fishing the Lake Snow. Out in 25 FOW. LPS fishes the river mainly. I live on the lake and Barry lives on the river.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: How far are you from town & work, JB?

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 21 at choretime with temps rising to about 23 then falling this afternoon. Pretty sunrise this a.m. as I took half a second to look whilst smashing ice out of water buckets.  :huh: Got the last 4 loads of chit hauled out of the main barn yesterday. Need to swipe my neighbor's cab-less skidsteer to clean 3 loads out of the lambing barn yet. In the meantime it kinda stinks around the ranch when the wind is the wrong direction.  :shocked: More bookwork today before hitting the coast button for Christmas...🎄   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Kinda?  Who you trying to kid Dotch lol...Living with farm critters is all part of country living..

Got a neighbor down the road from me that raises hogs,that's one stink that I can't get use to.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  It is a sunny day but it is cold like JB said.  Bobber my brother also has a Green Mountain and he told me this chicken thing and it is great.  Using thighs.  Get them nice and dried off, then apply spices and rub butter on them.  Put in at 400 degrees.  I leave them for 45 minutes and they come out perfectly done and a nice brown on them.  Still juicy too.  Man I may have to do some soon.  LOL  Well it is just a stay warm day today.  May not even go fishing.  Vikes tonight.  Have a great day!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Kinda?  Who you trying to kid Dotch lol...Living with farm critters is all part of country living..

Got a neighbor down the road from me that raises hogs,that's one stink that I can't get use to.

You got that right snow. One never knows what the wind'll blow in around here. Around us we have hogs, turkeys and beef. The finishing barn hog manure really stinks. Luckily in these parts it's primarily injected in the fall so it doesn't last long. The turkey manure is the one that'll clean yer sinuses out here. They spread it on top then work it in. Usually that process takes a day or two per field but there are usually multiple fields in the same area when the custom spreading outfits show up. The neighbors to the south haul their beef pack & lot manure in between then I usually finish up cleaning our barns. In both cases, once it freezes the odor dissipates, at least until it warms up again. Ours is a small operation but I've still received comments/complaints. Helps keep the riff raff out.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
morning fellers........ mom isnt doing her normal christmas eve deal....not feeling up to it........to me it was really stressful and i dispised going.

we will do our christmas on the 26th with the kids whomever shows up...........dont care who does or not................ba-humbug. then its over  :evil: :happybounce: :happybounce: :party1: :happy1:

then i can start skeeming when my next fishing trip north will be!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

You got that right snow. One never knows what the wind'll blow in around here. Around us we have hogs, turkeys and beef. The finishing barn hog manure really stinks. Luckily in these parts it's primarily injected in the fall so it doesn't last long. The turkey manure is the one that'll clean yer sinuses out here. They spread it on top then work it in. Usually that process takes a day or two per field but there are usually multiple fields in the same area when the custom spreading outfits show up. The neighbors to the south haul their beef pack & lot manure in between then I usually finish up cleaning our barns. In both cases, once it freezes the odor dissipates, at least until it warms up again. Ours is a small operation but I've still received comments/complaints. Helps keep the riff raff out.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: i used to get either turkey poop or some older cow manure for my garden from a friend/farmer just out of town.  i liked to leave it on the garden 4-5 days, especially when the wind/breeze came out of the south  :evil: just for my jerkoff neighbor to enjoy!!!!! :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd:

growing up as a kid we lived intown but about a mile west of town was a pretty good sized hog operation, yea when the wind came from the west....oh the aroma!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman

Agreed Dotch...forgot about turkey barns,that' stink might be the worst...

Late season honkers,this time of year are attracted to farms spreading manure in plowed fields with snow covering,man they love eating that shete....usually layered with field corn kernels,dang birds just wallow in that cow shete all day.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: How far are you from town & work, JB?
Gunner. We live 25 miles from work(Warroad) and 31 miles from Baudette.