Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 4952800 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dr. Pol might have a flask! I do but don't have a permit to carry. :doah: I definitely ain't no Dr. Pol but am smart enough to know when I'm in over my head. I've been fortunate to be acquainted with a lot of good vets over the years. Blood and gore don't bother me much. My wife can't  hack it so I've assisted on oodles of procedures on lots of farm animals. Can learn all kinds of things at 3 a.m. out in the barn, a lot of it non-livestock related.  :coffee:

& yes glenn, there are several explanations for the ewes, cows, sows, etc., eating afterbirth. One is stimulating milk production but it's hard to document, with & without.There are lots of electrolytes especially in the liquid portion. If you want your hands to crack open, that stuff will do it. The warm soft water we give the ewe shortly after giving birth might simulate the warm placenta and they glug it down. We add extra mineral in their feed to provide any electrolytes they have lost.
« Last Edit: February 02/05/22, 10:59:48 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey Dotch!  I was watching a car auction last night for a bit and seen a 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk sell for $52,000..  real good good looking car!!!    :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just came back back in from the barn. We decided to put extra bedding in the lambing barn so the brood ewes would pick through it & keep it warmer for the lambs. We were also going to pen the ewe up that went down yesterday so we could monitor her more closely. I went to get straw out of the main barn & when I came back, Mrs. Cheviot was yelling & chasing a ewe running out the door ahead of her. Yup, same ewe that was down for the count yesterday. Guess maybe we won't pen her up.  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hey Dotch!  I was watching a car auction last night for a bit and seen a 57 Studebaker Golden Hawk sell for $52,000..  real good good looking car!!!    :happy1:

That they were. McCulloch supercharger on a 289 Stude V8 under the hood in '57 & '58. The '56 had a 352 Packard in it. Some consider the Golden Hawk & the Chrysler 300 the birth of the muscle car.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, do you think another reason for eating the placenta is so it doesn't draw predators? That and because it tastes so dang good.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, do you think another reason for eating the placenta is so it doesn't draw predators? That and because it tastes so dang good.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :puke:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: as I understand it, certain wild critters do because of predators.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I know that's true

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :puke:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I thought maybe they liked the chewy texture!  :scratch: I'm sure going way back eating the placenta did help keep predators away. However, it must not have stuck in all cases. These Cheviots are known for lambs that hit the ground running & the ewes expedite the process. Some breeds of sheep, you question how their ancestors ever survived long enough to become a breed.

We lambed out a bunch of the neighbor's Columbia's one year when they went on vacation. Won't have any lambs while we're gone he said. They couldn't have been to the end of the driveway when the 1st lambs hit the ground. The Columbia ewes didn't mother the lambs, just dumped them, stood up & took off. The lambs were big & really stupid, super slow to figure out how to nurse once you corralled the ewe. We had 8-10 lambs in their house trying to save them using a bunch of our own emergency supplies. Meanwhile we were lambing at home too. Gave me a real appreciation for just how easy lambing the Cheviots were by comparison.
« Last Edit: February 02/05/22, 02:40:23 PM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
man oh man Dotch.......iffin i only had half the fun you always have!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :pouty: :scratch:

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Balmy +7 this morning in International Falls. While the snow is piled up pretty good it's great to see the sun rising earlier and setting later. I hate the gloomy feel of dead winter. The sun is getting some power now when it shines through the window. I like it!!

Stay safe.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  I'm up early so the wife can sleep in.  The coffee is a brewing.  The other day when it was 0 out there was water dripping off the roof of the boat shed here.  That is how warm the sun is already.  I'm with you Dutch.  Looking forward to longer and warmer days ahead.  We are going to do our shopping today.  Stayed home with all of the snowing and blowing yesterday.  I did the ribs in the oven and they turned out great! 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, 14 here and that is the high almost for today..   got some stuff done yesterday and make the chicken in tomato sauce too, that came out good too!!  made some cole slaw too..  that's always good too!!   have a good day all!!    :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gang, we have 9 & 11* will be the high, they're sayin. We were on the low side(~3") of forecasted snow yday. We had a hiccup with the blower though as it slipped the drive belt while we were workin on clearing the boat shed. So we'll be haulin that into L&M in the next couple days. Prepping that for the trailer will be at the top of the list today. I see a trip over to the BStore for the paper comin early today too. Just started snowin again too, enjoy your day.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. 4 on the plus side here this morning heading for 8 it says. We didn't do much at all yesterday until mid afternoon. Watched it snow most of the day. Got 3-4". Went out to the garage and sharpened some chains for the chainsaw. Then went and cut a load of wood for the wood shed. Then I cleaned up the fresh snow from the yard. And since I seemed to have some ambition I went out and moved the fish house out of the donut hole and got that ready to go. We will go out fishing for awhile today now. Just another day in paradise. Have a good one boys.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin forum fellas 22 at the moment.  We did our shopping yesterday,  hit total wine, Costco and cub wanted to pick up a brisket but they were way to big for the 3 of us so I cold smoked some cheese instead.  Not much going today, looking forward to thus weeks temps,  talking 40 on Tuesday  :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
morning fellers......did my shopping yesterday also....FF even had everything on my list!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shocked: meandered through the whole store and practiced self control.......... no other goodies!!!!!!!! :happy1:

watched some Olympics last nite. womens snowboarding!!!!! iffin i tried that...i'd be in a hospital with alot of broken bones.  :doah: the reigning champ from the USA didnt fair to well, but another USA gal took the silver!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

getting closer to thursdays's departure to LOTW's so i might get some things a bit more organized. trying to figure out what i need for clothes?????

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Well we got a 125 miles on the sleds yesterday. A little stiff, a little sore, but still able to move which is what counts. Didn't win anything gun wise at bingo last night, did win a meat raffle which had four rib-eyes in it. More coffee, later.... :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' gang! 23 at choretime with temps falling the rest of the day. Trying to get motivated to move bales after breakfast but finding it easier to stay under the blankie while I finish my coffee. No newbies so better get at it before that changes. Then I can get mentally prepared for the Hawkeyes to beat on the Gophers this afternoon. No Frannie (COVID) to watch erupt so a bit of a letdown there... :sad:
« Last Edit: February 02/06/22, 09:50:46 AM by Dotch »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Well we got a 125 miles on the sleds yesterday. A little stiff, a little sore, but still able to move which is what counts. Didn't win anything gun wise at bingo last night, did win a meat raffle which had four rib-eyes in it. More coffee, later.... :happy1: :happy1:

sure was a whole lot of sleds yesterday!!!  resort had many stop in for food and refreshments!!!  even knew some of them!! 

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Got home from Misery a bit ago, it was great to see the kids and my almost 1 year old granddaughter. It took just a little over 6 hours, wish they lived closer. Temp was 49 as we got into Iowa but cooled off quickly from there. It's always good to get home. The warden warmed me up a few enchiladas we had frozen, they hit the spot!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. -5 here today heading for 19 today. Feeling a little under the weather this morning. So since they gave me a computer to work from home that is what I am going to do today. They don't want us to come in if we are sick. And I have an achy body and coughing. Sitting here under the blanky now. Well, you boys have a good Monday.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Get better JB
« Last Edit: February 02/07/22, 06:07:33 AM by roony »

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
It's 2 above this morning here. May have to try to get the roof cleaned off looking at the weather coming up. Don't think there's much on it with all of the wind we've had lately. After that fire up the Kubota and clean up around the place. Looks like we may go for another ride tomorrow or Wednesday afternoon after the grandson gets out of school. Might head over towards mikes to have a beer at the resort. Time for more coffee, later..... :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
6 above here this morning. Mid 20's today. Getting warmer over night. 35 tomorrow. Time to go fishing again. Have to get some fish for Lent. Can't eat tune every Friday.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gents,-2 out the door  in Hugo,looking forward to the thaw tomorrow,hopefully the weather gal isn't pulling our leg....shootin for 40 degrees,yeah baby.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gents, -11 now & 16* is gonna be the top. Got the Husqvarna workin again yday but only for ~ 10 minutes. :scratch: So the blower is off it & it's 'bout ready for a trailer ride in to GR. Need to get it on the trailer & then we're headed to town. Need some other stuff too so it may take most of the day. Better roll, hopin your Monday's a good 1.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, get better JB! good luck Gunner!!  sounds like a good time roony!!  other than the drive!!  1 above here and hoping for 22 maybe.  got a few things to do today but nothing big and I'm ok with that...  have a good day all!!    :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  -3 here and looking forward to the warmer weather this week.  So I am laying in the nice warm bed and the wife says the dreaded words at this time of year:  "I don't think the furnace is working".  Drat.  Last year we needed a new igniter for it.  Seems like that is happening again.  Will call my guy after 8  this morning.  Always something.  Got us all plowed out again yesterday so things are looking good.  Will do the feedlot in the pasture today.  Have a couple of electric heaters running now so not too bad here yet.  May be time for a new furnace but they aren't cheap neither.  I think he told me about $2,500 installed last year.  We shall see what he says when he comes today.  Hope you feel better JB. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck on the furnace LPS!!!    :happy1: