Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Good Morning!!!!!!  (Read 5325142 times)

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Good morning campers. Beautiful sunrise this morning. Nothing big on the agenda for today. Deweeding my way back to an old, small lean-to that holds only an old Van Brunt seed drill. No urgency.
      Spoke with a friend of mine yesterday. He's been fighting cancer over the last few years. He decided that, since the cancer is spreading rather quickly, he's done with chemo. He has about six months. He still laughs and smiles a lot.
      Realized that Saturday is the small game hunting opener. Way too warm for me to go out. Wouldn't eat a wild rabbit this time of year anyway. Not hunting weather yet.
      Stay safe everyone.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin boys, 63 here when I headed for the boat & we should see 83. Barely got the boat back on the lift today, so that's project #1.  :scratch: I don't think the lake has dropped much more than ~ 3-4", so we should've had 'em set it deeper when it was delivered. :doah: Bout it here, have a good day.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good luck to your friend TT...  that's a big pill to swallow.. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Morning fellers.   Nice Morning.  Not sure yet what lake yet. Sure we will hot 2 today.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
good luck to your friend TT...  that's a big pill to swallow..
what Mike said!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  It is cloudy/foggy here and breezy.  Lot of yellow boxelder leaves falling.  I keep looking at the deck to see if it is wet as it seems like a drizzly day but almost no chance of rain.  It was great to see you again JB.  We had a good time cruising around on the Ranger seeing the acreage.  He is a great guy.  Your knee seems pretty good too now JB.  That was a nice looking loaner they gave you.  A brand new Chevy Blazer.  They are cars now, not a big truck like they used to be.  It seems almost like your SUV was in the water with all of that mold and rust JB. I need to change water in one of the hummer feeders today.  I may even take one down.  I haven't seen a hummer for a day or two now that I think of it.  We used to have 2 of them fighting so I liked two of them up.  ??? I will find some trouble to get in today.  You all have a good one.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' fellow gulag comrades! Fitty six at choretime heading for a high in the low to mid-80's. About the same yesterday but with the humidity down around 40% and taking most of the day to get to the high then cooling down fairly quickly, it was comfortable. Sure nice to open the windows for sleeping. Poppy & I worked in the garden until dark last nite, made a little supper then cleaned up the kitchen so I can freeze string beans tonite. Still got some burger in the fridge to grill so best get that done too. Pick up a few things at the grocery store 1st and let 'er buck. Sad deal for your friend tt & as mike said, I wish him well. Family of a friend of mine who has ALS is having a 79th birthday party for him on the 22nd. The way it's progressed it'll probably be his last one.  :sad:   
« Last Edit: September 09/12/24, 09:10:54 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes TT.  That is quite a thing to be on ones mind.  Can't imagine.

Man we had those 4 lamb chops last night that we got at Aldi's.  They looked beautiful.  Were thick and I cut the fat off of them. I opened up the vac pac and they had a stink to them.  Been awhile since I had them so I warshed them to get the smell off and it helped some.  I put olive oil on them then Lawry's, garlic powder, pepper, and sea salt on them.  I grilled them and they came out tender and juicy.  I took a bite and there was that strong flavor and I tried another bite and that's all I could take.  When I ate my salad in a bowl I had to take the chops into the kitchen.  The smell was that bad.  I watched the wife and she thought the same thing.  I think it was old mutton.  I have had chops before and they were tender morsels of goodness.  Will not buy them there again.  Darn, was really looking forward to them.

A couple of guys I worked with were at a school in the cities and they went to that Brazil type of place where you put the green thing on the table and they brought you more meat.  They had lots of beef and pork.  They thought they should try lamb.  The guy brought the lamb/mutton and they could smell it before he cut it.  They each took a bite and almost lost it it was so bad tasting.  Couldn't get the taste out of their mouths for hours.  That is all I could think about.  LOL
« Last Edit: September 09/12/24, 09:25:18 AM by LPS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and that's why I won't buy any at all...   don't want to take a chance when I can have chicken or pork... and for a lot less money

I would try Dotch's product I think..   
« Last Edit: September 09/12/24, 09:58:23 AM by mike89 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Right on mikey.  :happy1:  Buying lamb in a store or ordering it in a restaurant is like playing Russian roulette. Very sorry to hear that Barry. It's one of the major problems with the sheep and lamb industry. There are a lot of people from the packers on down trying to pass off an inferior product for a ridiculous price and giving producers who are producing quality lamb a black eye. I just took a nice load of lambs to Central Livestock in Zumbrota on Monday. Some were light but those should've commanded a higher price per lb. for feeder lambs. Haven't got my check yet but have a feeling I probably got screwed over by them if what my buddy told me was true when he watched mine go thru the online auction. He sold some lambs to them the same day and topped the market altho they're a breed that tastes like crap IMO. There have also been a lot of market lambs coming off the numerous county and state fairs across the country. I wouldn't knowingly eat any of those these days for fear of what they might've been dosed with or fed. That can also make them taste like crap. As a consumer, I'd let them know you weren't happy next time you're in Aldi's. Repeat business is the name of the game. The message needs to be sent up the ladder loud and clear to these charlatans.     
« Last Edit: September 09/12/24, 09:56:43 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I was hoping you would comment Dotch.  Many years ago I bought a lamb from friend that is know for having good sheep.  They were just natural colored wool black face.  I raised it and had it butchered when they had theirs done at the same place.  That whole thing was so good.  I don't remember any negative flavors or smells at all. 

Mike, I want a potato chip now.  Old Dutch are great.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so do I!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys. TGIF ! 64 here and supposed to hit 79. Was warmer than that yesterday and I sure it will be today too. We will need to go for a ranger toodle when we get home and check out where they are logging next to one of my favorite deer hunting spots. The bone head loggers also ripped a huge chunk out of the road that just got new chip seal put on it the week before. Didn't even make it a week before getting wrecked. I hope the county gets after them. Otherwise one more day in the salt mines. Have a good one boys.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin  all, 59 going for 82 again today..  the south east winds yesterday sure cleared out the haze
in the sky!!!  it was very bright out in the afternoon..  got a few things done yesterday and got another
bike ride in..  all rides are good!!   got a few things I need to do today..  pick up apples is one..  I need
to mow the yard again..  have a good day all.. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gang, 61 @ 1st peek here & I'm seeing 81 for the high. Got the lift moved & it was easier than I expected. Going be a breezy day the way it looks so I'll probably start with my deadwood project & go from there. Have a good day.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Day 2 at the Albany Pioneer Days. Spent five hours going thur the flea market yesterday. One purchase, a vintage Hamms cooler and only one stop to the beer garden. Today I hope to get a look at some equipment, watch the trashing machines and sawmill. Later…… :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning boys.  Very nice and cool morning.  Can feel fall in the air.  We sat on the deck for awhile last night when it was 82.  The wind made it almost cool out.  I think I will go get a few pails of crushed granite to fill a couple of hole in the driveway today.  Need to hit the grocery store too.  Get some fun stuff to eat this weekend.  Was gonna sleep a little late but my two yellow alarm clocks had different ideas.  Jake kept licking my elbow and Cooper sits at the edge of the bed and looks right at me.  I can't fake sleep anymore then and start laughing so I give up and get up.  LOL

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Mornin' fellow gulag comrades! Fitty eight at choretime heading for a high in the low 80's. Made 83 yesterday but felt warmer than that out in the corn fields. Froze a bunch of string beans last nite. Stude is in for a lookover this a.m. Little puddle of gas on the garage floor all the sudden.  Could smell it & old my fat @$$ doesn't crawl around under stuff very well anymore. My Studebaker mechanic said to drop it off & he'd take a look at it. Hopefully it's just a hose or a clamp. Got some fertilizer recs to do this a.m. so can get that done while he's got it up on the hoist. I got a retirement party to go to this afternoon then my wife stuck me with a wedding reception tomorrow on her side of the family while she's in MA. None too happy about it. It'll burn up at least 4 or 5 hours, most of it driving. PITA. If you want to make me crabby, make me go to a wedding. I got enough crap to do without that.  :angry:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Bad news on the Studebaker front, sort of. Mechanic replaced the hose and clamp but said after letting it set up on the hoist, noticed there's some seepage coming from behind the nipple (glenn suddenly gets aroused) where it's clamped. He showed me a picture he'd taken when he had it apart. Appears to be a tiny crack where the supply tube is soldered into the gas tank. Mechanic said by the time he takes the tank off and attempts to fix it, it might be wiser to get a new tank. They are available from several Studebaker parts vendors for ~$480 + freight. Ouch. There's an outfit in Monticello IA that sells fuel tanks for all kinds of collector automobiles that I need to check out 1st. Someone is manufacturing tanks for these parts vendors and it's possible it's those folks. Could pick it up or have my brother grab it for me if that's the case. Would also like to keep the sending unit that's on it if possible as it's been amazingly accurate. It's also unlikely it was made in China. For now it's safe to drive but those kind of leaks never get any better with time.   
« Last Edit: September 09/13/24, 01:03:28 PM by Dotch »

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Bazooka Bubble Gum. Accept no substitute.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
piece of innertube with a hose clamp.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Surprised someone didn't suggest patching it with cottage cheese! :scratch: All good ideas for the right situation but tough to implement given the position of the tube coming out of the tank & where the crack is. I think Ike did put some kind of goo on it as there's no gas puddle on the floor since I brought it home. There is still gas on the outside of the bottom of the tank making it damp however. No go on a Studebaker tank in iA so bit the bullet & ordered a new tank from Studebaker International. Should be here next week sometime. It comes with a new sending unit gasket so we should be able to keep the sending unit that's on it. Ran it on fumes one time coming back from a road trip. Gauge was as low as it could go. Took my pickup & grabbed a 5 gallon can of non-oxy gas in Waseca after I got home. None in Bugtussle yet at that time. Dumped that in the Stude & drove it to Waseca to fill it up. 18 miles & I get roughly 14 - 16 mpg. Put in 13.5 gallons. Tank holds 18. D'oh!  :doah:   
« Last Edit: September 09/13/24, 06:13:35 PM by Dotch »

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't understand.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm surprised nobody mentioned a fuel friendly silicone, hmmm I'm onto something, or on something. That stinks Dotch,  you need that chick magnet up and running, good luck. Evening peoples,  75 now but the pick em up said 84 pretty much all the way out to the lake. Rolled in bout 4:30, traffic was way better than the usual summer Fridays.  You can see it on the lake and surprisingly the dock has no floating weeds around it..go figure. Anywho,  thinking on throwing top water in the morning....See ya!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
mornin all, 58 here and going for 79 today..  got everything done yesterday that I wanted
to get to..  some more today but a bike for sure today..  have a good day all!! 

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Have fun Mike, should be a great day for a ride. Had a good day at the flea market yesterday. Only spent $156.00. I did get to watch the saw mills and thrashing machines too. Today’s mission is to grab a bag of tators and onions. Maybe hit the beer garden. Later….. :happy1: :happy1:
mm

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Mornin gents, we had 60 early & we should see 79 here too before the day's over. That breeze helped my pile of wood shrink a little extra yday. :happy1: Did a little trimming down by the road & while I was down there, I grabbed the bent driveway markers too. Pretty sure the propane truck got 'em. No biggie, they're back in place now. Can mow down there today, if I want. No more now, have a great day.