Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1490439 times)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Gotta get up purty early in the mornin' to put one past ol' delbert!  :shocked:
« Last Edit: April 04/15/20, 07:53:00 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That's cuz they were the only friends that would play with him. 🤡

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
That's cuz they were the only friends that would play with him. 🤡
Sort of anachronistic there Reb.  I was in 5th grade when we first got a TV.    Axel's treehouse.   Howdy Doody and buffalo bob.   Sesame Street was the era of my kids.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And just look how it rotted yer mind. Norwegian shows do that.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
And just look how it rotted yer mind. Norwegian shows do that.

Nah, it was all those Little Rascals shorts they played.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
picked up a spiral cut ham, normally don't buy them, to make sandwiches with tonight..  got that all sliced off the bone and saved the bone to make some bean soup sometime!!!  made coleslaw too.   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
picked up a spiral cut ham, normally don't buy them, to make sandwiches with tonight..  got that all sliced off the bone and saved the bone to make some bean soup sometime!!!  made coleslaw too.
hey Mike, its up to you but I posted a reciepe in the food thread under the child board for Garbanzo bean soup..you gotta try that.  I like that better then any bean soup made from a ham bone.

just a thought!!!!!!!! just another of the reciepies I've posted from my WORLD FAMOUS  catalog!!!!!! :sleazy: :laugh: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Depends on how many people I need to serve.  If there are a lot of people, I don't mind the spiral cut because it is easy to plate and it goes a long way.  If there are fewer people, I am happy to slice it by hand into thicker slices and chunks.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
personally I've never had a good spiral ham...I would pay 5 bucks more for a better ham. I have been eating the leftover ham we had via microwave, its ok but the dog gets plenty of treats!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: of course the horseradish adds good flavor.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Depends on how many people I need to serve.  If there are a lot of people, I don't mind the spiral cut because it is easy to plate and it goes a long way.  If there are fewer people, I am happy to slice it by hand into thicker slices and chunks.

Chunked up fine with mayo, some smoke flavor,  and dill relish = a good ham salad.  :tongue:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Steve is right, but this was 95 cents a pound...  price was the factor here!!!  tastes good too!!  Glenn I'll look at that...

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
personally I've never had a good spiral ham...I would pay 5 bucks more for a better ham. I have been eating the leftover ham we had via microwave, its ok but the dog gets plenty of treats!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: of course the horseradish adds good flavor.

That way when smurfette smells glenn's farts he can blame the dog!  :rolleyes:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

That way when smurfette smells glenn's farts he can blame the dog!  :rolleyes:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :moon: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Spiral cut with bone in? Momma will buy a small boneless spiral now and then for different dishes, but I guess I haven't looked at all the different hams on the shelf.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Never seen a spiral cut one with the bone in either. :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The one we had was a bone in. I never seen them either, kinda surprised me.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Bone in spiral ham's?????  Those are the only one's that are spiral ham's because they have a bone in.  Boneless hams are simply sliced.  There are a ton of bone in spiral hams on the market.  Years ago they did not exist but they are popular for some reason.  I still like the normal bone in ham.  good luck.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
For us it seems like the spiral cut hams dry out too easily.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
exactly. :happy1: :happy1: and this was put in an oven bag.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Bone in spiral ham's?????  Those are the only one's that are spiral ham's because they have a bone in.  Boneless hams are simply sliced.  There are a ton of bone in spiral hams on the market.  Years ago they did not exist but they are popular for some reason.  I still like the normal bone in ham.  good luck.

yes only bone in are spiral sliced, all others are just sliced...  and like I said for 95 cents, I was in..  and it was NOT water added, it was a natural juice ham.. tasted darn good too!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
exactly. :happy1: :happy1: and this was put in an oven bag.

They just need to get warm, not cooked.   Very easy to over do it in an oven.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
A bone-in ham said Sam I am? Eat it warm, said Del the souse-I-am.
« Last Edit: April 04/17/20, 08:07:52 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, warm them is all I do. I usually put them in da Crock-Pot on warm and that keeps them from drying out. I have one in the Crock-Pot now. Supper for tonight.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Many years ago when I first started as a butcher I worked in a meat market.  They would get hams in [bone in] already cooked and lightly smoked.  What we did then is put them in cotton netting.  Then put them in the big smoker and smoked them again.  So they became double smoked.  So by seeing the results first hand I have done this myself every time I buy a bone in ham.   Glen had the right idea with spiral hams with a cooking bag.  They need to be kept moist.  And like Jerkbiat, heated in a crock pot also keeps the slices moist.  Some spiral hams also come with a glaze pack attached.  Brown sugar or honey glaze packs for example.  Lot of people like those.  I can see by the sales.  Why are they spiral sliced.  In my opinion it's mostly for those who just don't like to slice hams by by themselves.  Convenience.  So I'm old school when it comes to bone in hams I guess,  but those spirals sure do sell well.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
and some of the glazes they send with the ham, to me, are no good.....  just like the gravy that comes with turkeys, yuk!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Rubbed with butter, sprinkled with brown sugar, and in the cork pot in a cork pot liner bag on low, for about 45 mns or so... :tongue:
« Last Edit: April 04/18/20, 01:58:11 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman