Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1488617 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am going to just cook it in the oven.  Going to go do it now.  I decided to wrap it in bacon too.  So I will do it uncovered. 

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Good idea LPS.  I have wrapped a brisket and whole chickens in bacon.  Nothing but a plus.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
great thinking LPS!!!!  bacon always good!!!  as Rh says a plus!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok after talking to youse guys I decided to butterfly the whole chunk of pork loin.  Filleted it out at about 3/4" thick so must have rolled out appx. a foot long????   SO I rubbed a half container of whipped cream cheese the wife had on the laid out loin.  (nice stuff) Then I cut up some onions, colby cheese cut in strips, mushrooms and sprinkled minced garlic and juice on all of it.  I then rolled it all up nicely and put fresh ground pepper and salt on it.  I then laid the bacon on it and sprinkled that new favorite spice of mine on top.  (I kept 3 strips of bacon for breakfast.  2 for me and I know the wife will want one)  The spice is that Excaliber Smoke House BBQ.  Great stuff. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
And what time should I get there??? Buddy eats bacon right!! :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
great thinking LPS!!!!  bacon always good!!!  as Rh says a plus!!!!

Says Mikey from HH!  :rotflmao: :bonk:
« Last Edit: April 04/21/20, 05:58:59 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
So what temp are you cooking it at?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
can't wait to hear how it turns out!!!   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I put it in the oven at 350 until it got to 150.  Came out kind of dry.  I should have taken it out a little sooner I guess.  I will reheat it today with the lid on and some moisture in the pan to try to make it more moist and tender. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
150 should be still moist.  Did you baste it???  Did you cover it first ??  Next time you don't have a smoker put it in at 250 and spritz it with apple juice periodicly.  You can also wrap it in bacon or put strips of bacon on top of the roast.  Hopefully making some gravy of something will help the slice tender up a bit.  good luck.

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS, Sous vide! It will melt in your mouth. When done sear it on the grill, cast iron pan or broiler.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Modern pork loin is very very lean.   So anything much over 140 is dry.   And to get the center to 140 in the oven means the outside  is like 160 or 170.     

Sous Vide is way to go.  Or else reverse sear in oven aka redneck sous vide.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been thinking about this.  I butterflied it so it was much bigger around with all of the stuff in it.  I think your theory is spot on Delman.   :happy1:   Lots of the cheese is in the bottom of the corningware pan so I just sliced it up and layed them down in the cheese.  Reheating it in the oven now so should be great this time.  It is covered.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Del, I agree with the rig you have but do not discount the smoker.  I have never had a pork loin get dry while in the smoker.  The temps are lower and care must be taken during the process.  So the term low and slow is the thing.  Basting and spritzing also are a part.  But you can do it in the oven also.  Lower temp and cover and at the end you can take the cove off and get a crust if you like at a higher temp.  But at that point the internal should be around 130 while cranking up the temp to get a crust if that's what you want.  Still the end result at 150 should be still moist.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Del, I agree with the rig you have but do not discount the smoker.  I have never had a pork loin get dry while in the smoker.  The temps are lower and care must be taken during the process.  So the term low and slow is the thing.  Basting and spritzing also are a part.  But you can do it in the oven also.  Lower temp and cover and at the end you can take the cove off and get a crust if you like at a higher temp.  But at that point the internal should be around 130 while cranking up the temp to get a crust if that's what you want.  Still the end result at 150 should be still moist.  good luck.

my only difference is I try to stop at about 145...    thanks Rh spot on!!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

my only difference is I try to stop at about 145...    thanks Rh spot on!!!

Yep, low and slow so the outside doesn't get over done.   

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Had it again tonight sliced like I said and in the cheese sauce for an hour in the oven.  Turned out great!  Well pretty darn good. 

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
[quote author=mik

as a matter of fact Linda just got me a pineapple slicer/corer yesterday!!  so a pineapple will be coming home with me this week for sure!!!    and thank you for asking!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:
[/quote]
Mike, have you used the corer/slicer yet?  We have fresh pineapple fairly often just cut into sticks. But we also do grilled pork chops marinated in a variety of sauces with grilled pineapple slices. Just wondering if the corer/slicer would be something we would find useful enough to justify dedicating storage space for it.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
[quote author=mik

as a matter of fact Linda just got me a pineapple slicer/corer yesterday!!  so a pineapple will be coming home with me this week for sure!!!    and thank you for asking!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:
Mike, have you used the corer/slicer yet?  We have fresh pineapple fairly often just cut into sticks. But we also do grilled pork chops marinated in a variety of sauces with grilled pineapple slices. Just wondering if the corer/slicer would be something we would find useful enough to justify dedicating storage space for it.
[/quote]

yes I have and I like it!!!  it's like 8 or 9 dollars at wally world...  I did the same thing you were doing cutting them, way less mess this way too!!!
« Last Edit: April 04/23/20, 11:12:25 AM by mike89 »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Made some Texas Hash for the first time yesterday and it was a winner.  good luck.  https://www.afamilyfeast.com/texas-hash/

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks darn good Rh!!!  might have to make some thing like that too!!!   :happy1:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Only half cup of rice?   Seems like more rice would be better.   

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Del with the amount of moisture used in this recipe that half cup was plenty.  I will be making this again.  I added about a cup and a half of water instead of the one cup in the recipe.  If I added more rice it would not be the moist meal it turned out to be.  You would have to keep adding water to get the texture you need and that would cut down on the flavor.  good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That does look great!  It printed out great!  Very quick to make too.
« Last Edit: April 04/23/20, 04:19:19 PM by LPS »

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Only half cup of rice?   Seems like more rice would be better.
Del, it’s says 1/2 cup uncooked rice, which when cooked would be 1 1/2 cups cooked rice.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
OK, I guess it depends on how many servings you are going for.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Del with the amount of moisture used in this recipe that half cup was plenty.  I will be making this again.  I added about a cup and a half of water instead of the one cup in the recipe.  If I added more rice it would not be the moist meal it turned out to be.  You would have to keep adding water to get the texture you need and that would cut down on the flavor.  good luck.
you ever use broth in place of water?? I've been doing That for a while and like it.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes Glenn I do it all the time, but I go with the recipe first and then if I think I need it I use it.  It's great without it but I will use broth next time to even step it up.  I use a Korean dry soup base if I need it.  good luck.