Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1488493 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
about the same here too, a treat now and then... 

and now ya got me thinking, Reb said a long time ago that Aldi's had real good braunschweiger that had a German name.. I'm going to have to get some now..
« Last Edit: October 10/10/20, 01:08:34 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife had some hoagie buns in the freezer so she thawed them out and baked some Omaha Steak meatballs that we had and put them on provolone cheese and marinara sauce on those buns.  Was great!!  Will do that again.  Easy too.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't care if they were paying me, not eating liver.  Except braunschweiger.

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman

and now ya got me thinking, Reb said a long time ago that Aldi's had real good braunschweiger that had a German name.. I'm going to have to get some now..
Mike, I hope you really like braunschweiger, it comes in a 1lb chub. I suppose you could freeze some.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks Coop, yes I would freeze 1/2 and that is the brand too!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
my wife buys it once in a while, think she gets a schweigert brand but its got to be labeled up north>
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
I believe the Aldi’s braunschweiger is made by Frick’s meats, and I think it is the same as theirs. You can find the Frick’s brand in some of the local stores. I think a Cub sell it.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll have to check both out now!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
butternut squash in the over, with butter and brown sugar..  chicken after that is done will be in the oven... 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Chicken and squash sounds great!  I made a ham chowder last night.  Turned out great. 

4 cans of cream of potato soup
1 pkg of cream cheese
1 or 2 cups of milk to thin it out some
1 big can of mushrooms
1 can corn
1 can peas
2 or 3 lbs of ham, cut into pieces
butter to sauté  onion
carrots and celery if you have it.
First sauté the veggies.
Pour everything else in and cook real low until it is almost to a boil.  Stir gently often. 
I added a pkg of shredded cheese to it too and let it melt in. 

Take an extra cholesterol pill!!!  LOL
« Last Edit: October 10/13/20, 12:17:27 PM by LPS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds good!!  and yer right on the pill!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
nice simple lunch I'm making today..  beer brats and sauerkraut simmering away as I write this!!   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice combo Mike.  I have been thinking of sauerkraut too.  The pork steaks we had the other night just about got the sauerkraut treatment.  I lightly browned them in a cast iron pan with onions and mushrooms and then threw it in the oven at 350 for 40 minutes.  Turned out great. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
turned out very tasty too!!!   :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
pork chops with onions, mushrooms in a white gravy sauce..  simmering super slow right now!!   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
leftovers for lunch today.venny neck roast. tonight its gonna be Glenn's WORLD FAMOUS sketti!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: the rest will go for deer camp as i double the reciepe!!!! :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The other night I did the sauerkraut and spare ribs thing you had been talking about Mike.  Excellent meal!!!  I used a bag of Willy's Kraut.  I put the whole bag with juices in a pot.  Added sliced onions.  Lots of fresh ground pepper.  Already plenty of salt in the kraut.  I cut the spare ribs in 2 bone chunks and put them on top of the kraut.  I tried to get all of them showing.  Spiced them too with pepper.  Had oven preheated to 350.  Cooked uncovered for two hours.  The ribs ended up browned some and tender and it all tasted great!  Easy too. 

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a great combo Glenn!! I trained momma right, she ended up using several bags of frozen maters but it made lots of sauce.  The one with the funky lid were using tonight over spaghetti.  But the rest we'll freeze and not actually can.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Mike, I hope you really like braunschweiger, it comes in a 1lb chub. I suppose you could freeze some.

I've tried the Aldi's brand before, it's not bad.......just a little dryer in texture
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
That's a great combo Glenn!! I trained momma right, she ended up using several bags of frozen maters but it made lots of sauce.  The one with the funky lid were using tonight over spaghetti.  But the rest we'll freeze and not actually can.

looks great Bobber!!!!  Linda made a batch yesterday and another today!!!  good eats coming up here too!!!!   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Tonight's menu consists of turkey chow mein. Num num. Me loves chow mein. :hubba: :hubba:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i promised momma  :smoking: :sleazy: good things is she made an apple crisp.so i helped her peel and core apples. we got a pile if apples from my stepdads place!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
 Good stuff Glenn,  spose you gots egg rolls n wantons also. Good things you say? What you headin north again.. :rotflmao: I'm kidding, apple crisp n ice cream is the bomb..Gots a big beef roast with all the fixings burbling this away.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Good stuff Glenn,  spose you gots egg rolls n wantons also. Good things you say? What you headin north again.. :rotflmao: I'm kidding, apple crisp n ice cream is the bomb..Gots a big beef roast with all the fixings burbling this away.
naw she gotta deal with me till deer hunting....then all bets are off!!!!!! :rotflmao:

nope no egg rolls or wantons. i actually never think of them nor would i know where or what to buy???? :scratch: :scratch:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I cooked a 4 bone beef short rib yesterday.  Took 4 hours wrapped in foil at 275 in the oven.  Smothered it with spices, liquid smoke, and a slather of apple cider vinegar.  Then we opened it up turned on the broiler and gave it another 4 minutes to get it darker colored.  Turned out absolutely great!  I will show a pic of it ready to cook and will try to remember to get a pic of it when I heat it up for supper.  Using that Tiny Pic thing.  I like it.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ok got a question about this apple cider vinegar. i read alot of people use it???? what does it do for the reciepe or meat????

i've also read that people will drink a small amount every day claiming it is good for the body. i asked my doctor once about it and he told me he sees not value in it??? of course that's just 1 docs opinion??????

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
vinegar helps marinate and break down the muscles... 

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh boy,kraut and spare ribs... what a delicous treat.

Apple cider vinegar,table spoon/day burns fat,and mixed with apple juice and apple sauce sometimes all three mixed together sprayed on a rack of ribs towards the end of bbq and/or smoking then wrapped in foil add's a nice sweet/tangy glaze.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My SIL is a nurse and her and others swear by Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with "Mothers" in it.  Some health nut thing.  We keep a bottle around.  I put a shot in soups etc.  Might give a little kick to it.  ???