Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1489474 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
tater salad is made, tastes good!!  pig wings are soaking in a raspberry jalapeno marinate and will go in the over later today!!!   

What the hey are pig wings??!!  :confused:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
O ya...didn't we discuss them some years back? Like where to get them...and aren't they really spendy or something? I still haven't ever seen 'em down here...'course, most people in this town think Lloyd's chopped up pork in a tub with kraft BBQ sauce is the real deal... :rolleyes:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
we have and yes they are a bit spendy...  but darn good eats!!! 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After last nite's car club episode I was pretty worked up. Not every day one sees a friend go through something like that, wondering if they're gonna make it. When I get worked up I do one of two things: (A) drink or, (B) make a bunch of food. Since I needed to keep my wits about me I chose B. Had some maters handy and enough bacon to make a couple BLT's. I was starving, hadn't eaten much since breakfast so pitter patter, let's get at 'er! 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks darn good Dotch!!  just made breakfast burritos, taters, onions, red peppers, sausage plenty of eggs!!!  darn good!!! 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Darn tootin' that sounds good! :happy1: Reminds me, I need to get some lamburger out to thaw as well as another package of bacon. Lots more BLT's to be had methinks.  :cool:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Stopped at my farm truck to get some more cawn....put 2 ears in a bag, and 3 small tomatoes. Guys says $5......say what ??!  "Corn is a dollar an ear, and everything else is a $1 apiece".  Told him good luck, and left him holding the bag. (literally) Headed out to an apple orchard on the east end of town that's been in business for many years and sells everything. Bought 4 of the biggest ears of corn I've ever seen, all of it was huge. Never seen any with a big diameter around like this. Sign says "Montauk" variety, never heard of it. Four ears of corn, four beautiful 'mato's, and one huge green pepper...$5. The corn is only .50 an ear.  :azn:
We'll see how this "Montauk" tatses tonite...got a pigger steak melding with sweet 'n smoky, and a pot of beans bubbling away.. :happy1:

Maybe ol' Dotcheroo can tell me more about "Montauk".....
« Last Edit: September 09/05/21, 12:44:06 PM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Had Roast Beef hash with 2 sunny side up eggs on top for brunch.  Warshed it down with a glass of Clamato juice.  I posted this earlier but forgot to hit the post button.  LOL 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
says it a good sweet tasting corn.  16 to 18 rows per cob..  so I'm guessing it should be good..

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Rumored to be a favorite of smurfs as well as roony's little buddies... :whistling:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Aren't there Montauk clams?  :scratch: What I know about cawn is if it looks good, eat it!! Never could understand why people paw thru Florida week old or longer dried-up corn at Walmart, when there sits a farm truck selling it in their lot....at least here, anyways, at both Walmarts. It's Minnysoda, king of corn! (Iowegian's dispute that, though..) 'Course, we all know what I O W A stands for..I Owe the World an Apology.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: September 09/05/21, 01:14:34 PM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  He said it Gunner not me.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Iowa and Illinois usually battle it out for regular dent corn production honors. MN is typically 3rd - 5th. Sweet corn for processing is between MN & WA although Birdseye is building a massive new processing plant in Waseca which will mean more acres in order to keep it full. We may surpass WA once it comes online. Fresh market, production is usually CA, Fl & GA leading the pack due to their lengthy growing season.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/Todays_Reports/reports/vegean21.pdf
« Last Edit: September 09/05/21, 01:42:18 PM by Dotch »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And we lost our Libby's plant here. Oh, the folks that would come up here every year from Eagle Pass, Texas for the Fall corn pack....wow! Lotsa families.
At least this town saved and just finished refurbishing the old Libby's water tower...

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
One of my favorite memories of Rochester as a kid is that water tower. Purty doggone kewl.  :happy1: Were a lot of acres of peas and sweet corn grown for the Libby's plant around that area. They had a field shop in Spring Valley along the railroad track on the west side of town. Reid-Murdoch was the predecessor in the area but not sure of whether they built the plant and Libby's later bought it or just what. There was a Reid Murdoch "No Smoking" sign in our barn on a door inside. Reid Murdoch ran a lot of farm land themselves at one point, back to the days prior to tractors being used. Read an article once upon a time that they actually preferred mules to draft horses for some reason. They had several farms devoted to raising mules. Not sure but ours might've one of them at some point. Would occasionally find mule shoes when we were picking rocks as well as scattered around the property.  :scratch:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very interesting.  Great to hear those stories of history in the area.   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lotsa farms around here grew sweetcorn for Libby's. I know when we were drinking beer soda pop and cruising for chicks as a teen, we often made a "field trip" and would pick bags of that corn...we all knew which fields they were, thanks to some of the kids we went to school with who's parents farmed 'em.
In fact, the fields were close to where I live now, long gone. Often found us some melons to grab too. I probably shoulda worded that one different on this site.... :rolleyes:  :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A little more research found that Libby's bought the Rochester plant from Reid-Murdoch in 1949. Was built by Reid-Murdoch in 1925. The ear of corn water tower was built in 1931.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Reb started it. That iconic ear of corn water tower is as much a part of Rochester's history as the Plummer building, geese crapping around Silver Lake or delbert working at the Blue Zoo! 😘

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The pot roast turned out great!  The arm roast was more tender than a chuck roast.  Now have leftovers for a couple of days.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
A little more research found that Libby's bought the Rochester plant from Reid-Murdoch in 1949. Was built by Reid-Murdoch in 1925. The ear of corn water tower was built in 1931.
Dad's mother lived over in Eyota when I was young so we drove by that tower many times back then.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
The pot roast turned out great!  The arm roast was more tender than a chuck roast.  Now have leftovers for a couple of days.

I like arm roasts! The injecting really seems to help too, at least for me. Now ya can have roast beef sandwiches slatherd in avacodo mayo!!!!!!  With a slice of swiss even!  :tongue:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb started it. That iconic ear of corn water tower is as much a part of Rochester's history as the Plummer building, geese crapping around Silver Lake or delbert working at the Blue Zoo! 😘

Dotch is milking it.  :rotflmao:  I used to live in an apt with 2 buddies a block away from Libby's....if ya wandered over there duruing corn pack, they'd either give ya some or let ya buy a bag dirt cheap, depending on how poor ya looked. Only downside was during pea pack, really smelled pretty funky during that.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

I like arm roasts! The injecting really seems to help too, at least for me. Now ya can have roast beef sandwiches slatherd in avacodo mayo!!!!!!  With a slice of swiss even!  :tongue:

look at Reb!!  advocating the avacado mayo!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:party1:          :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
went to Cubs today, and Reb they have pearl onions at this one...  was getting some frozen veggies and found them on the top shelf...  I think others were looking for them too...