Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the stove, oven, or crockpot today?  (Read 1488751 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Will be baking our butt half ham today along with some asparagus and some baked yams with lots of butter on them. I also got a Dutch apple pie to bake and some Cool Whip too.  Gonna be a good one. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
BIL isn't a fan of ham so we had ours with some pancakes for breakfast. Ribs for dinner, I hear.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
BIL isn't a fan of ham so we had ours with some pancakes for breakfast. Ribs for dinner, I hear.
say what!!  is he related to Glenn??    :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
nuttin special at the smurfs house for meals today  :pouty: leftovers for din-din, pork egg rolls for supper!!!!!! :happy1:

man i love ham!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
say what!!  is he related to Glenn??    :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :rotflmao:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Easter dinner,seems most famlies make easter dinner a tradition baking ham,great tradition don't get me wrong but then the left over's my mother made her "spilt green pea soup" couldn't get past the green slop,family loved it,now that she has passed my neighbor who is one hell of a pit master/cook will drop a pale of this slop on my back door step,don't have the heart to tell him "keep it" lol,seen my neighbor at our local grocery store last saturday with the biggest bone in rump ham I ever seen,so the green soup is coming.

Me,fired up the webber charcoal grill,had a 3" one bone ribroast/giant steak,slapped on a handfull of large raw shrimp when the steak was done (turf n surf easter sunday) worked out perfect weather wise as snow moved in as I finished grilling.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Momma was in charge of the ham. I did the hobo taters!!! :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks awesome! I see the mail must still be running slow. No Pioneer knives yet!  :sad:  :rotflmao:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks awesome! I see the mail must still be running slow. No Pioneer knives yet!  :sad:  :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :tut: besides what makes you think I'd show off a prized possession like them!!! :mooning: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
enjoy those type meals big time!!! 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have the chuck roast in my new enamel cast iron pot and man do I like that.  Just added the spuds, carrots, celery, and a good jag of Better that Bullion Beef.  Smelling good.   

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is an experimental recipe I tried from Youtube.  Browned thighs on top of onions, carrots, spuds.  Covered with tomato sauce and mozzarella.   

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
It looks like the experiment worked.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wasn't too bad.  I doctored up the tomato sauce too with a little siracha. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Momma made enchiladas with Spanish rice along with my world famous  :sleazy: salsa!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
boiled up some yukon gold taters and some eggs that were so darn fresh there was almost no air pocket...   going to make tater salad tomorrow...  a blend of my ideas and the recipe from LPS!!!   son, his wife and daughter are coming up tomorrow!!   

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Those yolks stand almost straight up too? Sometimes wish I had a few laying hens. Maybe some chickens to put in the freezer. When I think about doing more chores and cleaning barn it passes.  :doah:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I peeled 6 of the eggs, 3 not to bad 3 not so good..   the rest I placed in the fridge til tomorrow...  see how that goes!!!   I even iced them good too!!!   :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
To me it seems sometimes the eggs peel easier when warm. There is no rhyme or reason though.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Can't confirm it but Mom claimed that the fresher the eggs the harder they were to peel. Might explain why when there was a buildup of excess eggs in the fridge stuff like deviled eggs, potato salad and egg salad sandwiches appeared. There seemed to be a lot of angel food cake too when that happened. :scratch:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Can't confirm it but Mom claimed that the fresher the eggs the harder they were to peel. Might explain why when there was a buildup of excess eggs in the fridge stuff like deviled eggs, potato salad and egg salad sandwiches appeared. There seemed to be a lot of angel food cake too when that happened. :scratch:

heard that too many times and I tend to agree with it...   

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

I can confirm that.... fresh eggs suck to peel.

We have had (but, not anymore) hundreds of layers here. And every time we boiled fresh eggs, they didn't peel the shell off as well as an older egg.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good to know HD. Glad Mom didn't lie to me except when she said I was delivered by a stork. I don't recall seeing any storks flying around.  :scratch:

I was just slave labor so I didn't think about this kind of stuff much. Doing a little investigating, I have an idea for dealing with expired eggs in our fridge. Looks like they're good for 3 - 5 weeks past the expiration date. Have tossed way too many eggs over the years when they were cheap. Now they're expensive, when they get into that month old range, think I'll start boiling them. I like boiled eggs. Ready to eat, low carb and packed with protein. Another thing I found was if you're concerned about eggs being too far gone, float them in ~4" of cold water. If they float, put them in the box with the other stuff & mail them to glenn!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: May 05/05/22, 06:49:27 PM by Dotch »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
farm eggs not washed keep way longer!!!   the shell is protected from the hen till they are washed, then time starts to run out on them...  in egg processing plants I seen them there for something like up to 2 months if I remember right before they were used... 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had fried eggs tonite, hard fried. Maple flavored sausage from Neighbor's meat market, hash brown patties made in the air fryer (love doing them that way) & toast slathered with Hope creamery butter. Still not much doing in the taste bud dept.  :sad: Warned the wife ahead of time if she smelled something burning to let me know. Made it without incident but I could've burned the place down and never known the difference.  :embarrassed: 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I remember 60 Minutes had a thing on eggs years ago.  At the egg place when they got too old they just put them in different containers and that gave them life for another 90 days.  They did it all of the time. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
our house for some reason dont use alot of eggs.  :scratch: we like them but just dont eat them much...unless it needs to get added to something. i bet a dozen eggs last 3 months around here and dont seem to have them get bad on us????????