Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: winter onions  (Read 17463 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 anyone interested in winter onion sets?????????? there kinda like dem scallions ya can buy. i have all kinds and am willing to share!

they are usually the first thing edible in spring!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Will you deliver and plant them?  ;D

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i can send them...you get to plant.............not that hard but i suppose like everything else...............us union guys gotta do it all!!!!!!! right boober!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you plant them now?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
you can!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that what you do Glen? 

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn if you get my way I'll take some,How many yah gotz? A whole bunch may be to many for us maybe 1/2 bunch.
 LPS in grocery stores they call em spring onions, small bulbs and large green stems and sweeter than the summer onions they are excellent for anything using raw onion,Kinda taste like scallions but bigger.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya I like those.  I have never planted onions before.  Would be fun to try.  That is what I am wondering if to plant them now or in the spring.  Glen I would send you some Lindell stuff in trade if you are interested.  Thanks for the help to Dew.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
sure can.  both of ya. LPS PM me your mailing address.

plant them now. they will come up in the spring. use what you want but leave some to let grow new sets, replant them and start over!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very cool Glen.  Sounds like fun.  Have you ever grown them in the house to use all winter?  I was just reading about that. AND it said do not plant them near green beans or peas.  lol  how about that.  I may try to raise some in the house....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
nope, never have. i have a seperate spot for them. use to be my kids old sand box.  thgere is rubarb by it though.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Message sent Glen....

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Hey Glenn are these the onions you have??
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yepper looks like them.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your winter onions went in the mail today. my wife called and said you should recieve them by saturday. enjoy.

find a spot to plant them. i'd just loosen up the ground, rake it off to the side so its about 1/2 deep. scatter the onions about and cover them up. they dont need to be very deep. most those i picked where laying on top of the ground and had already established roots!!

dew you will have yours sat morning also.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
i can send them...you get to plant.............not that hard but i suppose like everything else...............us union guys gotta do it all!!!!!!! right boober!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:
         :bow: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Glen this will be a fun project. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
6k, since I now have my sets from Glenn, the dumb questions: Once I plant them, and they grow...I pull'em up and eat them. So, what makes them continue "on"...do I have to keep planting sets, or what? As in, tomatos put out more fruit...so do other crops, I'm not sure on the onion thing.... :scratch: Or, is there a different green top type that seeds itself from roots or something? Don't tell me I haveta keep poking sets in the ground....
« Last Edit: February 02/07/17, 07:40:39 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought winter onions were  the kind you planted in the spring and plucked some but let them stay growing for later picks??
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't harvest all of them. Let a bunch grow. Somewhere about mid to end of June they will start "flowering" or better put producing seeds on the top. By fall they will look like the things I gave you. Before it freezes just replant those sets that grew off the tops.

Hope this helps!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought winter oniotns were  the kind you planted in the spring and plucked some but let them stay growing for later picks??
nope plant them in the fall. They will be one of the first thing harvestable in spring.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb, yea ya kinda have to it keeps them thinned out. They eventually fall off and will start growing. There isn't hardly any work to these if you don't want to.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought winter oniotns were  the kind you planted in the spring and plucked some but let them stay growing for later picks??
nope plant them in the fall. They will be one of the first thing harvestable in spring.

ok I said that wrong, but I think that's what we had for along time..   can they be planted in a pail or something and keep going??

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea they could but I don't see a pail holding much. And yes they can keep going provided you leave some so they are allowed to reseed.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought winter onions were  the kind you planted in the spring and plucked some but let them stay growing for later picks??

Hey Mikey!! Know how they gets the water in the watermelon?? They plants them in the SPRING!!!!! HYUK HYUK!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Hey Mikey!! Know how they gets the water in the watermelon?? They plants them in the SPRING!!!!! HYUK HYUK!!!
DOAH!!! :bonk: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
IS NOT! IS NOT!!! It's about gardening!!! NYA!!  :moon:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

DOAH!!! :bonk: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

Id that one!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am looking forward to the winter onions I planted that Glenn gave me.  Thanks Glenn.  You are a great guy regardless what I hear on here... 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
When the 16" snow on the ground here melt, sometime around July, I'll plant mine!!!   :azn: