Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Anti freeze in campers  (Read 2560 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I put pink antifreeze in my lines of my camper.  A guy told me to make sure you don't get any in your hot water heater.  OHO..   I don't know if any got in it or not.  I will pull the drain plug on it again tonight.  SO do you think it is a bad deal to get pink antifreeze in the hot water heater????

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
not sure what itd do to the system but the pink is biodegradable,  maybe if its in the water heater he's concerned for human encounter with in the shower or faucet, so I'd certainly run the water for a bit in the spring, I dont see what it'd hurt with in the system.... but I dont have a camper with a water system either.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Barry....from an RV tech forum....hope this helps.

While it will not hurt anything, it may leave an aftertaste that can be hard to get rid of. About 10 years ago we had a Bounder that we put antifreeze in to the water lines and the hot water heater for winterizing. After draining and flushing the lines and preparing for our summer travels it took almost a month to get rid of the taste it left behind. We flushed the hot water heater at least 6 times and used the rv for a month before the taste went away.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks you two and that is what I thought too.  We bring drinking water and don't drink the water in the camper anyway so will be fine.  We just use it for washing dishes and showers. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Even if there was antifreeze in the hot water heater that left an after taste nuttin a little while wouldn't take care of.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I will have to say that I have never-ever drank "Hot" water out of our camper. Cold water heated up but never out of the hot side.   :puke:

So not sure why it would hurt anything.

Also, out of the 4 RV's and Park Model campers that we have had I only blow out the lines and put Pink Stuff in the traps and toilet.  So I have never had any bad tasting water in the spring or leaks.  ;)
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I will have to say that I have never-ever drank "Hot" water out of our camper. Cold water heated up but never out of the hot side.   :puke:

So not sure why it would hurt anything.

Also, out of the 4 RV's and Park Model campers that we have had I only blow out the lines and put Pink Stuff in the traps and toilet.  So I have never had any bad tasting water in the spring or leaks.  ;)

I also blow the lines. After pumping pink thru the system one year the water was undrinkable. We now use bottled water and only use camper water for washing and toilet use

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Winterized my Mallard fifth wheel a couple weeks ago and it has by-pass valves on the water heater so you can put the anti-freeze in the lines and not in the water heater. You just have to be sure you drain the water heater. I did have a camper someone left the pink anti-freeze in the water heater and light it with the anti-freeze still in it. Never got that funky smell or taste out it.
mm