Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Discuss lower w/e limits  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
  DNR, angling group discuss lower walleye limits.

:fishing2:                    :fishing:

:Fish: :Fish: :Fish: :Fish: :Fish: :Fish: :Fish: :Fish:

Jan 17, 2017

:scratch: Let's Hear What's Your Opinion?

:reporter;
A Minnesota angler holds a walleye before releasing it. Minnesota Department of Natural Resources officials are considering reducing the state's walleye limit from six to four. News Tribune file

:coffee:
A statewide fisheries advisory group again has brought up the idea of reducing Minnesota's statewide walleye limit from six fish to four, said Chris Kavanaugh, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources regional fisheries supervisor at Grand Rapids.

:popcorn:
The topic was one of several fisheries issues discussed at the DNR's annual Roundtable meeting held Jan. 6 in a Minneapolis suburb. Other topics included the possibility of a fishing license fee increase and establishing new limits for northern pike, Kavanaugh said.

The idea of reducing walleye limits to protect fish populations came up as long ago as 2000, when the DNR re-evaluated limits for several fish species. The agency considered several options at the time, including reducing the walleye limit to four or even three. But no action was taken to change the statewide walleye limit at that time, although several important walleye lakes have special regulations that include a four-fish possession limit on walleyes.

"The walleye working group (an advisory committee to the DNR) has been talking about this for some time," Kavanaugh said. "They're wondering, is it time to take another look at statewide walleye limits?"

On the surface, it seems that reducing the walleye limit from six to four might reduce the harvest by one-third, Kavanaugh said, but that isn't true in practice because so few anglers catch a limit of six walleyes. During discussions in 2000, DNR officials said reducing the walleye limit from six to four would result in only a 5 percent reduction in harvest.

Such a change might be more symbolic, Kavanaugh said.

"It sends a message that this is a finite resource," he said. "This is more conservative. It might spread out the resource among more people. But it wouldn't reduce the harvest that much."

Concern about the state's fisheries resource is directly related to the growth in technology that allows anglers to be more effective, Kavanaugh said.

"Thirty years ago, you'd hear about a hot bite last week on Fish Lake," Kavanaugh said. "Now you hear about it right now. The number of angler-hours is probably a little lower than in the '90s or even in the '80s, but the effective fishing pressure is higher. Boats are bigger and faster. The technology of GPS and getting to the spot-on-the-spot is better... We're throwing a lot of technology at them."

Tom Neustrom, a fishing guide from Grand Rapids, is a member of the walleye advisory group. He said he believes anglers would be open to reducing the walleye limit.

"What is enough?" he asked. "Is four enough? Is six enough? Most people don't catch their limit. If we can lower the limit and save a percentage of the fish for the future, I think that's fine."

He emphasized that the discussion is just beginning.

"This isn't going to get done overnight," Neustrom said. "It's a work in progress for at least another year or two."

Northern pike limit changes

Minnesota anglers probably will see new northern pike regulations in place by this spring's fishing opener, Kavanaugh said. A new slate of pike regulations has been in the works, including public hearings, for months. Only a few DNR administrative hurdles remain to make the new rules official, Kavanaugh said.

"We're expecting the new rule to come in May this year," he said.

Current limits for northern pike statewide (except for waters with special regulations) are three in possession, of which only one may be longer than 30 inches. Under the new limit structure, limits would vary in three regions statewide:

Northeast Zone

(North and east of U.S. Highway 53)
•Angling bag limit: Two, with none from 30 to 40 inches and only one over 40 inches
•Spearing bag limit: One over 26 inches, one under 26 inches

North-central Zone

(U.S. Highway 53 south to a line roughly from Ortonville to Hutchinson to the Twin Cities)
•Angling bag limit: 10, and all pike from 22 to 26 inches must be released, with only two longer than 26 inches
•Spearing bag limit: 10, including one from 22 to 26 inches and one over 26 inches; or, bag limit of 10, with two over 26 inches.

Southern Zone

(South of a line roughly from Ortonville to Twin Cities)
•Angling and spearing bag limit: Two fish, 24-inch minimum size

License fee increase

DNR fisheries officials are beginning to consider the possibility of raising the fee for fishing licenses, which were last increased in 2013, Kavanaugh said. At that time, the fee for a resident fishing license went from $17 to $22.

Historically, a license fee increase has generally carried DNR fisheries programs for about six years. Typically, the agency takes in more than it spends on programs for the first two of those years, breaks even for the middle two years and spends more than it takes in during the last two years, Kavanaugh said.

But the last fee increase came after 10 years rather than six, so budgets were stretched.

"The game and fish fund is projected to go into deficit by about 2019 or 2020," Kavanaugh said. "That's what we projected in 2012. We're right on track.

:scratch: Let's Hear What's Your Opinion?
« Last Edit: January 01/18/17, 03:18:21 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
dont have an opinion on the walleye limit yet............ but the pike one is............... :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :doah: :doah: :doah:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
The increase in pike limits would probably have a similar effect as reducing the walleye limit. So few anglers keep a limit of pike that even a no limit would increase pike take only slightly. I for one only want 1 18-24 inch pike for a meal. My neighbor on the other hand will clean pike all day to pickle them.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Being only (a wanna-be) :cry: Minnesota resident my opinion holds no weight. Although, spending 3 weeks there each summer gives me an entitlement to comment. This last summer in Gods Country Borgie  & I didn't take home any fish by choice. As we've gotten older it's become a big hassle to come off the lake all beat to crap and then have to spend time in da fish house. Just the thought of cleaning and wrapping puts a damper on the process for us. This was the first vacation year we didn't even have fish for dinner.

On the other hand I'm very interested to see what everyone's opinions are. I know opinions will very greatly and folks should not criticize or judged by their feedback as long as they are following the fishing regs. I know that when I started guiding 20 years ago most everyone would would take their limits. When I changed my format to catch and release other than pan fish I lost business. As time went on and people became more aware the future with CPR (catch photo & release) then things picked up for me.

I know that many still get pissed off with DNR changes but, they as a whole are there doing things to protect our sport. :happy1:

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THAT JUST..........
« Last Edit: January 01/18/17, 10:04:06 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
my thoughts with reducing the pike limit???????????? been reading and hearing how there's so many LITTLE pike,,,,,,snot rockets as many call them. so why reduce the limit of these small ones. i have actually had someone tell me it wouldnt hurt a few lakes to get some of these little fish out. kinda like they do on the bowstring system.

on the other hand it make reading the law book and special regs pages easier!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Not a bad idea,some states known for great walleye fishing have lower limits,(5) walleyes to be exact,north dakota and ohio for starters,however these two states with a5 walleye daily donot recongize possession limits or freezer limits just the daily limit,so "whats the point?" but Mn has 3x the amount of anglers than any other state there for a lowerdaily/possession is a good idea@ 4.

My .02

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
there used to be a lake southeast of Aiken that the limit was 6 nords, to get rid of the hammer handles.  not sure how that ever worked out.  I want to say maybe Nord lake?
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Lee, old buddy ole pal, got a question for ya!!!!!!!!  you stated when you did the guiding gig you went to catch and release????? why???? i get it but from my perspective if i hire a guide i would dang well expect to keep at least a few fish. if i hire a guide it would be to fish something a rarely fish for or to go out and get that wall mounter. i wouldnt hire a guide to fish panfish!!!!!

just curious!!!!!! :scratch: :scratch:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
No limit on pike.   Get those slimmers out of the lake.    :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
No limit on pike.   Get those slimmers out of the lake.    :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:
:moon: :moon: :moon: slimmers good.................... :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
So  many people dis the slimmer. I like the slimers. Good eats! :happy1:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
as far as I'm concerned they are better than walleye. :happy1: :happybounce:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
:moon: :moon: :moon: slimmers good.................... :happy1: :happy1:

For years Borgie always complained that she don't like the taste of Northern. So one day I did a fish fry and asked her how she enjoyed the walleye. She was very pleased and enjoyed every bite. Then when I told her that it was all northern the climate changed rapidly. :taz:

Women: :bonk:  Try to figure them out ....On second thought.....Don't even try! :moon:
« Last Edit: January 01/19/17, 10:04:18 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Ahh my friend.  Never said I didn't like the taste. 

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ahh my friend.  Never said I didn't like the taste.
hey there is hope for you after all!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: catching the problem then?????? :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Glenn if you can catch one there is obviously zero skill involved ;).  Probably why your main target is sunfish.  Even they think it's a free buffet when you're around.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We are on the system that our little blue buddy was speaking of & here you can keep 9 "hammerhandles", if they are < 22". I don't think that many do but the special regs have been in effect for close to 10 years & IMO it has helped. As for on the table, we like them, it does seem to help if a little extra time is taken to remove the "Y" bones though. When we 1st started coming up here, I didn't catch that many fish because I was always retying. Finally figured it out, I quit using minnows & still don't, now I'm in the water more & catch most of the fish. ;) I keep some for the table a couple times a year but if I really get into a bunch, I'll give 57 a heads up. He'll pickle 'em & even gave us a jar to try last time.They're pretty good actually. We just started a walleye slot (17-26) last season & I'm not sure it was the main reason but the traffic at the PA was was down.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lee, old buddy ole pal, got a question for ya!!!!!!!!  you stated when you did the guiding gig you went to catch and release????? why???? i get it but from my perspective if i hire a guide i would dang well expect to keep at least a few fish. if i hire a guide it would be to fish something a rarely fish for or to go out and get that wall mounter. i wouldnt hire a guide to fish panfish!!!!!

just curious!!!!!! :scratch: :scratch:

I'll give dis a shot yust fur U Glenn :happy1:

Back in the day most folks kept their limits every time they fished. Since then many but not all of the fisherman have had a change of heart. I think it started to kick in when the Linder's started to promote catch and release philosophies. I have many photos with bragging sticks loaded with fish. In today's changing world I wouldn't dare drag out those photos for display.

If someone calls for the first time to book a guide trip I explain the following:  "We target a mixed bag of game fish (bass, pike & walleye). During the course of the day we will also run into panfish. It's catch and release on game fish unless you get one you want mounted. Bring a small cooler with ice if you want to keep any panfish." Most of the guides on the lake I guide on promote CPR. There is no doubt in my mind that CPR is working on Lake Geneva. Most guides here have recognized the fact that over harvesting does not help the fishery. Very few clients are looking pay for a panfish trip. I explain everything up front to new potential clients so there is no questions or misunderstandings.

It takes me 3 hrs. drive round trip to the lake in Wis and back each time.  In my area very few lakes are around unlike the buffet you have to choose from in Minnesota. I actually haven't bought an Illinois fishing License or fished in my home state for the last 20 yrs. (Be thankful you live where you do.)

I hope I've answered your questions Glenn.

PS. In Wis panfish don't fall under the category of gamefish as I believe they do in Minn.
« Last Edit: January 01/19/17, 11:27:30 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: well put. Makes sense to me. Tanks!!