Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's Wrong Wit Athletes!  (Read 61688 times)

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Not the first.  Won't be the last.  Adrian Peterson earned more than $100 million in his NFL career from 2007 to 2021.  :doofus: :pouty: :coffee:

Judge orders former NFL star Adrian Peterson to turn over assets to pay $12M debt

Former NFL running back Adrian Peterson has been ordered by a Texas judge to turn over personal assets to help pay a debt that has ballooned to more than $12 million.

A court-appointed receiver has been seeking to collect money from Peterson as part of a judgment from a lawsuit filed against the four-time All-Pro running back over a $5.2 million loan he failed to repay to a Pennsylvania lending company. Interest and fees resulted in that debt more than doubling.

The receiver, Robert Berleth, asked a judge in July to order that constables accompany him to Peterson’s home in the Houston suburb of Missouri City so he can inventory assets that can be sold off.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Isn't that sad.  I lost my respect for him long ago but what a waste of all he earned.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Right. Pretty sad.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Netflix has an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary.  Director Billy Corben examines the harsh realities behind the flashy careers of professional athletes, most of whom will go bankrupt after retiring.

Some stories are as you'd expect; some, like Bernie Kosar's, are revealing and heartbreaking.

Broke

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The strib had a little tid bit on Bernie a couple weeks back stating he has cirrhosis of the liver, 60 yrs old. Speaking of AP, wasn't his child support at like 100 grand a month or something stupid, can't remember. Word has it he paid big bucks not to do any time after his whipping of the stick on his kid, just dumb.

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Just my opinion but they are so grossly over paid to begin with it's not even funny.  They bitch and complain they want new stadiums and more money.   Why the hell is any player making this kind of money with zero investment?   They want a new stadiums then invest their millions in the "business" they work in to make better working conditions.   

Just throw me the da ball man.  I run weel fast......See I won weel fast!!  oh that's worth another million for sure.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I spose they get such used to such a big monthly budget that it consumes them.   Then when the money slows down they can't get back to normal.  Then it runs out. And their friends probably leave them too.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Money is the problem. 

I don't care who you are:  a professional athlete, a lottery winner, or someone who inherits a fortune from a long lost relative - time and time again, history shows that people struggle to manage a fortune that they aren't prepared to deal with - and many go broke.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree.  The wife and I talk about how good it is we haven't won the lottery.  Then we look at each other and laugh.  Would sure be fun to try for awhile.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
We always joke... "What would you do with your half."   ;)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My dad always said "Some people can't stand prosperity.

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Money is the problem. 

I don't care who you are:  a professional athlete, a lottery winner, or someone who inherits a fortune from a long lost relative - time and time again, history shows that people struggle to manage a fortune that they aren't prepared to deal with - and many go broke.
I used to work for a lady who was broke and had 4 kids and who's husband was an alcoholic and passes away. She started a company which took off and they all made millions of dollars in a short time. Once she passed away, the company closed and her kids are now all broke again.  The vision and drive was all her's.
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our Union rep talked to us about how 80-90% of all successful family businesses fail when passed to another family member.  It took Mom and Dad 30 years to afford a new house and car.  The kids get it the first year etc etc.  Sinks them.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Bodycam footage of Tyreek Hill's detention released.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bodycam-footage-tyreek-hills-detention-released

I don't know...  speeding, reckless driving (he was hauling  :moon: ), not following cops orders...  Asking for problems.
But you heard him, I didn't do nutten!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Dolphins' Tyreek Hill explains 4-word message "Let’s make a change" after bodycam footage of detention is released

Hey Tyreek...  How 'bout you simply roll y'er window down when the cop tells you to and leave it down - and NONE of this happens.

Its always someone else's fault.

A little humility from Hill...  Dolphins' Tyreek Hill says he could have handled some elements of traffic stop better, calls for officer to be fired

"I will say I could have been better," Hill said. "I could have let down my window in that instant. But the thing about me is, I don't want attention. I don't want to be cameras-out, phones-on-you in that moment. But at the end of the day, I'm human. I've got to follow rules. I've got to do what everyone else would do. ... Now, does that give them the right to literally beat the dog out of me? Absolutely not," Hill continued. "But at the end of the day, I wish I could go back and do things a bit differently."

In part, I can now understand (but not excuse) his reaction based on 'his side of the story'.  He is the center of his world and he doesn't want to "hurt his brand" by anyone taking pictures of him while he is getting pulled over for a ticket.  So he rolls his window back up.  Trouble is, he was also living in the world where a cop was giving him an order and he wasn't obeying.  And despite his admonition, he feels compelled to make race a factor in what followed afterwards.  We'll have to wait and see how the Miami-Dade Police Department deals with this in a post-George Floyd world.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
He could have left the window part way open so him and the cop could communicate. That being said after watching the footage I do think the cop also had an ego that got in the way.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Probably so.  To me the most telling part was when the office mumbled something to the effect of, "I'm not doing this today," which presumably referred to taking $#!T from a non-compliant citizen.

Was it racially motivated?

Was it motivated by the fact that he was clearly dealing with a wealthy individual appeared to be acting as if he was above the law?

Both?  Neither?   :confused:  Time will tell.

I did read this opinion piece from the Miami Herald.  Two wrongs don’t add up to anyone being right in Tyreek Hill sagal

The article covers a lot of ground, from a lot of different perspectives - one of them Tyreek Hill calling for the cops firing.  For your consideration...

But for Hill to request that Torres lose his job over Sunday’s incident is unnecessary, and short sighted.

We don’t know officer Torres’ history, and his track record with civilians. One horrendous day shouldn’t lead to someone losing a career he or she has spent nearly three decades building.

[Hill] happens to be on his fifth, or sixth NFL life because of the numerous legal situations he has put himself in this past decade, which includes domestic violence, alleged child abuse and last year’s assault of a boat captain. Hill’s history and consistent misbehavior proves he’s no altar boy, which is why it’s not fair for someone to consistently request a second, third and fifth chance to demand the removal of the officer.

We need to learn from this, and grow from it. All of us.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Seen that too, mike, only the pc I read said he'd told some of his teammates that he wanted the season to be over. :bs: Well, now he got his wish, but his baseball career is probably over too. :doah:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Amazingly stupid.

« Last Edit: September 09/13/24, 09:48:11 AM by Steve-o »

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Agreed, he may have wanted the season over. But, someone needs to hit a ball?

Lakeland scored four runs in the second inning on the way to a "6-0 victory" and won the Florida State League West division.

Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I'd say the kids career is over. MLB will accept cheating but they won't tolerate quitters. As a going away present he will be allowed to keep the $297,000 signing bonus.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I read that too and thought it was a job suicide thing for sure.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I read a blog post someplace where a teammate of his kinda stuck up for him - but in no way excused his actions.  He characterized him as a good teammate, a tough competitor, and a 21-year-old who made a stupid mistake.

Professional sports is the one place where raw talent will get you two, three, four, and more chances.

How do those Semisonic song lyrics from "Closing Time" go..?  "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here."