Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wireing challanged  (Read 2268 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I went to a friends farm to help out the other day and this is what I see.  No, this is not what I went help him with.
Turns out that when the insulator pulls out of the shed, you simply use a piece of wire and cobble it to the weather vane.
Question is, where do you attach it when the weather vane is pulled off the roof?

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
OMIGOD......It scares the hell outta me seeing what some people do with electrical..... :doah:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I can kinda relate. For lots of years at the cabin our underground romex went up a pole then went from tree to tree through insulators to a shed then out to more trees and down to the lake. I've since buried it all but gramps back in the day grabbed what he had at the time to make it work.. limbs and branches were always taking out the power.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
dat not good.......
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wired a ceiling fan up in a friends kitchen once, in an older house they'd just bought. Put in a junction box and ran the wires to the light/fan from there, since there was a dimmer switch on the kitchen light and he wanted to keep it. (Big no-no with a fan light) He called later, and said it wouldn't work...go back over there, no power to it. WTH?! Checked the fusebox; A-OK. He goes into the bathroom, while I'm in the kitchen...and the fan goes on. ??!?! Found out that the circuit I had tapped, was a secondary that someone had run from the SWITCHED part of the BATHROOM light. What a mess...so I start checking circuits, and it just gets worse. They had two big junction boxes in THE ATTIC, laying in the cellulose insulation, that had no covers...and originated from an original knob and tube wiring, that was spliced into 14 ga AWG. I told him I was done right there, and to get a licensed electrician over ASAP and and inspector, since he'd just bought the house. He did neither, and lived there for another 4-5 years.....*shudder*  :doah:
« Last Edit: October 10/25/17, 07:08:47 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I told him I was done right there, and to get a licensed electrician over ASAP and and inspector, since he'd just bought the house. He did neither, and lived there for another 4-5 years.....*shudder*  :doah:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's about it, Steve-o..... :doah:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Dad was always good with that stuff, brother still does a lot of ours here.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Checked the fusebox; A-OK.

What could go wrong?

They had two big junction boxes in THE ATTIC, laying in the cellulose insulation, that had no covers...

Apparently he wasn't the first and only...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
It was worse......ends were twisted together and wrapped with FRICTION TAPE.................*ZZZT*  :shocked:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
So DEADEYE, why wouldn't it get refastened back to the building?? One would think attached to the weather vane, a lightning strike could be trouble.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Glenn57,
As they say, it gets worse.  This is on a farm and the wires go from the power pole to the shed.  He was pulling a hay wagon loaded with bales when the bales caught the wire and pulled it out of the shed.  He managed to stop before completely tearing it down.  Not have the time to fix it right, he simply found some old wire and you see the results.  Of course, that was several years ago.  BTW, half the circuits in the shed blow the fuse but being there are two fuses, he gets by.
 :crazy:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!