Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: FISHING REPORT PIERRE AREA FOR MAY 20TH 21TH 2017  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Hutch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Fishing & Hunting South Dakota's Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe
I finished guiding the three guys I had with the WILKE group by going after Northern and catfish on Oahe. These guys had full limits of walleye and some bass the first two days so they decided to do something different the last day. Clayton McKee got the only northern we caught an 18 lb. plus fish but we also had good action on catfish so they got a lot of extra fish to take home. Clayton was very happy as this was his first big northern. We caught these fish with slip bobber rigs/smelt in 3 fow way in the back of feeder creeks on Oahe. I then started a trip with repeat customers the Stumillers from ST EDWARD NE. down at West Bend on Sharpe in what turned out to be a real windy day. Fortunately the bite was great and we put limits in the boat by noon along with some nice smallmouth bass. Here we caught the fish in 7 fow or less on minnow/bouncer rigs. Fishing is in a full spring mode with limits for most experienced anglers the norm. Size is around an 17 inch average with some over 20 inch fish along with some 15 inchers. Water temps dipped back into surface around 48 degrees with very cold nights but it didn't seem to slow the bite on Sharpe. Lots of boat/angler traffic so the tip of the days is to avoid community spots and try and find batches of fish away from traffic when possible. This leads to more fish and usually bigger ones. Most of the guides try to avoid other boat traffic on a daily basis just to give customers a better experience and quite often bigger stringers. With the Stumillers we caught over 50 walleye by noon and never had another boat around us so finding a spot to fish by ourselves paid off. I think the fishing should continue to be great on Sharpe and action on the big lake (OAHE) should start to go as water temps rise.

HUTCH'S GUIDE SERVICE

Hutch
Good fishing Hutch