Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2017 BEAR SEASON  (Read 2348 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
not much bear hunting talk??????? not even from some guy they call ..............BOAR. the so called bear expert   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

so when i headed up to itasca county last sunday then over to duluth i didnt see a whole lotta sign of hunters out baiting? anyone else see any bear hunting/baiting activity in there travels??????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
My brother in law has a tag this year.  He baited a week ago and when I was there on Tuesday, it was cleaned out.  I added some bait and set up a camera. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
well thanks glenn, ill take that as a comlmiment buddy. i just opened a site on saturday and am opening the other this saturday..
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
well thanks glenn, ill take that as a comlmiment buddy. i just opened a site on saturday and am opening the other this saturday..
well did you hit the like button?????????? or the karma button???????? :scratch: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and i'm glad you think its a complemeinet!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: i'll leave it at that!!!!!!!!!! :happy1:

i have to live the bear hunt threw guys that got a license this year!!!!! :undecided: :tongue:
« Last Edit: August 08/24/17, 01:06:26 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:fudd: Bear hunters looking for another good season this fall. :Hunter:

By Sam Cook 8/28/17

:coffee: ....
Last fall, Minnesota bear hunters were beneficiaries of a skimpy supply of natural foods in the woods. In other words, the bears were hungry and especially susceptible to the Gummi Bears and taco chips and sweet syrups that hunters used for bait.

The result: Hunters killed more bears than they had for several years. :banghead: They shot 2,641 bears, the most since 2012.

Consequently, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has reduced the number of bear permits available to hunters from 3,850 last year to 3,350 this fall. :pouty:

:police: ....
"We shot too many bears last year," said Dave Garshelis, DNR bear project leader in Grand Rapids. "We're trying to make up for it."

The DNR is in the process of trying to rebuild the state's bear population, and last fall was a blip in that process. But it made for a lot of happy hunters. The success rate for bear hunters in the Quota Zone, where hunters must apply for a limited number of permits, was a record 50 percent.

This fall, natural foods seem to be fairly plentiful, said Dennis Udovich of Greaney, who is president of the Minnesota Bear Guides Association. Pre-season baiting began Aug. 11. The season opens Friday and continues through Oct. 15. Hunters are allowed to take one bear.

"Of every bait we've checked, only one bait wasn't hit," Udovich said. "They're cleaning it up pretty good."

Minnesota's bear population is estimated at 12,000 to 15,000, Garshelis said. Hunters in the Quota Zone had to apply for the 3,350 permits available. Outside of that zone, hunters may buy permits over the counter.

"I think the (bear) numbers are still there," Udovich said. "Our numbers are really good. I've seen three bears with four cubs."

Garshelis said the state's bear managers are hedging on the side of conservatism in allowing fewer permits this fall.

"That's kind of my bias," he said. "Through the '80s and '90s, I was sort of talked into increasing the harvest to cap the bear population. We did that — and we overdid it. We had about a 40 percent decline in the bear population over about 12 years."

:tut:Don't shoot collared bears

DNR researchers have 35 radio-collared, ear-tagged bears in the woods as part of ongoing studies. Biologists ask that bear hunters avoid shooting collared or ear-tagged bears. It's best to look for the ear tags rather than collars, the DNR's Garshelis said, as the ear tags are more visible.

:Photography:

A black bear clings to a tree in the Duluth area. Bear seasons open soon in Minnesota and Wisconsin. News Tribune file photo

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 08/29/17, 10:11:31 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Seeing lots of bear baiting activity in the south metro-folks are doing 75 m.p.h. in the 55 m.p.h. zones.  Just asking for a ticket!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I had 1 visitor show up. Only showed up one day. I will wait and see if he starts coming more. Looks like a nice bear too.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
boy he looks like a beast! good luck jb. hes makling his rounds!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow!  Nice one JB.