Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: FISHING REPORT LAKES OAHE/SHARPE PIERRE AREA FOR LAST OF AUGUST AND FIRST WEEK O  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Hutch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Fishing & Hunting South Dakota's Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe
I have been out of town for over a week hence I have been behind on these reports. Things have changed after the 1st of September on Lake Sharpe as the size limit of 15 inches is back on until next July. This has made coming in with limits of walleye more challenging however most days if conditions are right fishing is still very good. The conditions I mean are weather and the amount of current the corps run. Strong winds make for harder boat control and too much or not enough current can slow down the bite. On Sharpe right know as long as you can catch numbers of fish you can get limits but you have to throw back around 3 walleye in the under 15 inch range to get an over 15 inch fish so that is why it is a numbers game. The last trip I did was with repeat customers the SEDERLIN group from down Kansas way and we had a great time. They went home with their full possession limit of walleye and also had a nice limit of smallmouth bass on Oahe to round out the trip. We caught all the fish on Sharpe with either nightcrawler/ bouncer or minnow/bouncer rigs in around 10 fow. On Oahe we caught the bass in around 30 fow on minnow /bouncers. Lots of good eating for these guys and just a great bunch that make my guiding job easy and fun. Had a few other trips including the Wilke bunch that we did not picture the fish but basically it was the same story on methods and fow. Fall weather is starting to arrive with some 40 degree nights and cooler days. I might also mention the GFPS are stocking big numbers of catchable trout below the dam so for those liking to catch a few rainbow that is going on now. Salmon fishing has been and still is very spotty and although I am not in real touch with this bite from what I have heard is hard. Once again especially on weekends lots of boat traffic on Sharpe but you can pretty well have Oahe just about to yourself in many areas. If you want that kind of experience it is a great choice. We caught limits of bass easily and saw two other boats all day.

HUTCH'S GUIDE SERVICE

Hutch
Good fishing Hutch