Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: how do u make ur backstraps  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
jusr might try this, since everyone gose gaga ove backstrap. jerky meat is all i say. how do ya fix ig so its edible??
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
do ya deep fry them like fish to hide the taste?
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
depending on the animal, cut into steaks and grill.  season to your liking first or marinate.  I don't marinate  much.   just like the meat...   same with hanging tender...

and do not over cook it!!!!
« Last Edit: November 11/06/17, 03:15:17 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Sous Vide...... 
https://www.outdoorlife.com/venison-sous-vide-recipe-for-perfectly-cooked-wild-meat#page-4

A Venison Sous Vide Recipe for Perfectly Cooked Wild Meat

Medium-rare without fail
By Jamie Carlson April 6, 2017

A finished sous vide backstrap.

Jamie Carlson

Most people who have cooked venison have at some point left their venison steak or chop on the heat too long, and ended up with a dry hockey puck that was barely edible. This is not necessarily an indictment of their cooking skills, but rather an example of just how fragile venison can be when cooking it.

The difference between meat cooked to 130 degrees and 165 degrees is only a matter of minutes. I have seen venison cooking recommendations that suggest that all venison be cooked to 165 degrees, and I would never discourage anyone from taking the safe road. If you choose, however, to live life on the edge because you prefer venison medium-rare (or, as I prefer it, rare), hitting that magical 125-130 degree temperature range can be difficult.

When cooking venison backstrap, for instance, cutting it into chops or medallions will reduces cook time to a matter of minutes. This is why I prefer to leave my backstraps in large, whole pieces so that I can maintain some control. When grilling a large piece, I leave it on the grill for about 4 minutes per side on the direct heat, then move it to the top rack for about 5 minutes to finish. This usually gets me pretty close to what I want, but there’s still a lot of room for error and overcooking.

A more controlled method is to sear the backstrap in a pan with butter, then move to a 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes. Again, this will get me close, but depending on the size of the backtrap there is still too much room for error. Sure, I could throw a thermometer in there and monitor the internal temp of the meat and that would tell me what I need to know and get me close to exact on my 125-130 degree preference. But you still run into the problem of taper: this is where the back strap is larger on one end than it is on the other and you don’t get and even cooking temp throughout the meat.
vacuum sealed backstrap

Vacuum-sealed venison backstrap.

Jamie Carlson

This is where fancy gadgets and good friends can be helpful. For my birthday this year my buddy Shawn Bergeth got me an Anova Precision cooker. It’s also called a sous vide, which is a French term meaning “under vacuum." The basic gist is that you can vacuum seal what you want to cook—meat, fish, fowl, eggs, and vegetables—and then submerge it in a water bath set to an exact temperature. This is an old restaurant technique that has become very popular in the last few years.
venison rare potatoes

Venison backstrap with bourbon sauce and potatoes.

Jamie Carlson

For my first try with the precision cooker, I thought I would go right to the venison backstrap and attempt to produce a perfectly rare piece of meat. I seasoned the meat with salt and pepper and sealed it in a vacuum bag. I set the temperature to 122 degrees, dropped the meat into the water, and left for four hours. When I got home, I cut open the bag, seared the meat in a cast-iron pan for about 90 seconds on each side, and then let it rest for 5 minutes. (The searing raised the temp a few degrees, which is why I set the water bath at 122 degrees.) What I ended up with was a rare piece of venison that hit 128 degrees and was as tender as any piece of meat I have ever had. I served it up with a little bourbon cream sauce and some roasted potatoes.
venison tenderloin medallions

Perfectly cooked venison tenderloin.

Jamie Carlson

I think it worked wonderfully, especially considering that was my first time using the gadget. The really nice thing is that if you wanted it to be more toward medium, you could set the temp at 130 degrees and then sear, and that would get you up around 135. You could also follow the recommended food guidelines and cook it to 145 degrees, but that is just a bit overdone for my tastes. I am really looking forward to giving this thing a try on other cuts and a variety of fish and game.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
depending on the animal, cut into steaks and grill.  season to your liking first or marinate.  I don't marinate  much.   just like the meat...   same with hanging tender...

and do not over cook it!!!!
:happy1: :happy1: what mike said!!!!!!!!!!

i wont marinate backstraps. but i do marinate other venny steaks.  gotz a good korean marinate years back we use!!!!!!! good stuff!!!! or season and fry on the sto e in butter and onions.....again do not overcook!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I marinate then cook a pile of 'em just like Glenn said. Of course, skwirrel backstraps ain't very big.  :rotflmao:

Any one make stroganoff with the backstrap? I bet that would be good...or venny kabobs.... :tongue:
« Last Edit: November 11/07/17, 08:44:20 AM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good back strap does not need to be in any thing, good ol plain steak!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Minnesota Volunteer magazine ran an article in Nov/Dec 1999:  "The Sweet Taste of Success."  Anything i do to a backstrap is a variation of the recipe listed here.

I can't directly link to the article, but you can go to the Volunteer magazine archive, search for the title, and download a PDF.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mcvmagazine/archive.html

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Hmmm...that looks tasty!  :happy1:
« Last Edit: November 11/07/17, 12:30:07 PM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
it does sound good, thanks Steve-o....

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I almost forgot one of my go-to back strap recipes:  Venado Asada (Carne Asada using venison).  Actually I don't grill it either, but I do serve it on tortillas.

I use the ends of the back straps or other choice chunks that are too small to be cooked as individual steaks.  I either cut them into pieces and stir fry them in a hot pan or I flash fry them for a bit on each side and chop them up afterwards.  It doesn't take long to cook at all.  I serve them with caramelized onions in warm tortillas.

Feel free to use any spices your Carne Asade recipes suggest, but for me this one is just salt, pepper, and sweet onions; nothing to get in the way of the medium rare venison flavor.

(I tried to post this earlier this morning, but I think system glitches wiped it out.)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Thanks stevo, Ive had fajita on my minde and that sounds delicious!!
78.50"