Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Deer Stories and pictures - 2017 deer 3 of 5  (Read 1529 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After leaving camp at noon on Tuesday, we returned at noon on Thursday to finish out the season.  It was a good sign when I was barely unloaded and 4 deer  began feeding in front of the cabin.  It was 16 degrees out and 26 in the cabin so I wasn't sure if the heater would keep it warm enough.  Being the temp was steadily dropping through the single digits, I decided to stay at camp with my grandson and see if a big doe or buck of some sort shows up in the field.  At 3:30 a nice looking deer showed up about 100 yards away.  My grandson got ready to shoot it but I told him to hold off until I can get a better look at it.  After watching it for 10 minutes I finally could see it was a nubbin buck.  Just before 5 a doe and two fawns came on the field.  This was a small doe and really small fawns so we decided not to shoot the doe.  Following them came a small buck who proceeded to run to the apple trees and start feeding.  My grandson got ready but had to wait a while until it presented a broadside shot.  Boom, the deer ran into the nearby woods.  The other 4 deer scampered around and finally left the field.  We didn't find any blood where the deer was standing but did find a fine mist a few yards into the woods.  We were able to see the path it took in the snow.  Turned over sticks and leaves along with a fine mist of blood.  After about 40 yards we had stopped to check the blood trail when my grandson said, "grandpa, I smell a deer".  I told him that we just need to look around and we should find him.  He was dead about 10 yards away.  My grandson is 11 and this was his second year deer hunting. 

Small 5 point but big smiles

On Saturday evening my grandson and I went to a shed we have about 1/2 mile from camp.
We watched 10 deer feed on the field in front of the shed.  Four does and six fawns. 
I guess that is the average 1.5 fawns per doe.   

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Its neat when you can smell 'em during the track.  Its confirmation that all your wood craft "Spidey Senses" are working well.