Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: General 2017 rifle season information  (Read 1574 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I can't say enough about our 2017 rifle season.  Judging from the deer we saw, the herd has completely recovered from the low numbers two years ago.  Many does with fawns.  About half the does had twins which results in 1.5 fawns per doe.  Lots of 1.5 year old bucks. Interestingly the does and fawns were still in groups and not harassed by the bucks.  Maybe there were so many the bucks were simply tired. The first weekend we did not see one doe being chased or followed by a buck.  This activity picked up considerably over the last Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Oddly the deer, both bucks and does, would feed on the fields all throughout the day.  Maybe this was due to the snow cover? At any rate, they would simply move off 30 yards into the woods and come back out after you passed by.  I guessing it was a late rut this year. 

Dumb buck waiting to be shot

This is how you hunt when you are 11 years old and it's 4 degrees outside.

Last Saturday evening viewing from the shed.  We watched 10 deer feed on the field

Thursday at 1:00 PM.  I took this 15 minutes after I arrived at camp.  They didn't even wait for me to unload

View from stand my brother in law was in when he shot the big 11 pointer.  After crossing the field in the background,
it approached the stand from between the alders.  Probably a 20 yard shot

One last picture of the 11 pointer
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Awsome! weve got good numbers here, the second buck I shot was crusin for a doe, and seen only 1 other fork chase a doe. I to think the rut was running alte for wat ever reason.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That was a very fun pic story.  I really enjoyed it.  Thanks.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Deadeye-I saw the pics when I picked up the gear in Eagan Saturday evening.  Man, you guys sure got some nice deer.  This was a great, albeit very short season for us too.  Three guys in the woods and we were all done by 11 a.m the first morning, and all of us saw lots of deer.  Not a single wolf track, never heard one, never saw one.  It was a very good hunt.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Great season for your camp.  Thanks for sharing.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.