Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289605 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Well that didn't take long. When I got home there was a male Baltimore oriole on the jelly feeder. I'd forgotten that I filled the oriole nectar feeder before leaving on the 20th so they might've been tapping that.
« Last Edit: August 08/29/22, 07:21:22 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Oriole's have came back.....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
As we were sitting by the fire on Sat. we heard an Oriole so the wife got right up and put oranges and grape jelly out for him. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
not a bird, but a big tiger swallowtail butterfly was around the house yesterday..  fun to watch!!   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Love those things! So pretty altho it's hard to get 'em to sit still long enough to get a good pic sometimes.  :happy1:

Been waiting for the white-lined sphinx moths to show up in the evenings but haven't spotted one yet.  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup the rascal just kept fluttering around!!!   then it was gone!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw my first sphinx moth on some petunias night before last. I may get out the flashlight tonite as there are numerous beds & planters of stuff where they may be spotted. Once it gets dark they're really hard to see otherwise.

Barn swallows seem fidgety. Won't be long and they'll skedaddle. Put out what might be the last dose of grape jelly for the orioles. They emptied the cup type feeder but their consumption has slowed. That & I can't tell how much the rest of the birds are eating. Hummingbirds are numerous and really active. Cleaned and refilled their feeders last nite. Enjoy watching them while I'm seated in the oval office. Goldfinches are going through the thistle seed at a pretty good clip. Their colors are starting to fade a little. Don't like seeing that but nothing I can do to stop it.   

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still numerous orioles stopping by today, squabbling with the house sparrows and amongst themselves. Hummingbirds are all over the place. Almost like they fly in circles around the house sometimes. Refilled the main sunflower feeder and got instant house sparrows. Think I'm going to get my repeating sparrow trap out and see if I can thin the herd somewhat. I don't buy that stuff to feed to the crap birds.  :angry: 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
My sunflower feeder out back is getting hit hard. I first that it was the squirrels but after watching it yesterday the finches and a few other feathered friends hit it hard. The feeder holds about 11 lbs.

Hummingbird feeders here a busy also .
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Seems as though the orioles have dispersed from up here. I have not seen any for 3-4 days now. Hummers are still busy at the feeder.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw one oriole earlier this a.m. at the jelly feeder. Also saw house sparrows and a red-bellied woodpecker on it. Jelly isn't disappearing nearly as fast as it was so it's a matter of time. Usually around Labor Day we see the last oriole. Barn swallows might have left. Didn't see any this morning but noticed last night there was a huge gathering of swallows on the power lines just to the north. Hummingbirds are just nuts. Can't go anywhere in the yard or look out the window without one showing up out of nowhere. Sounding more like fall all the time. Blue jays have been calling while the chickadees and nuthatches are busy at the feeders, including one red-breasted nuthatch. Got the flashlight out and saw a couple white-lined sphinx moths last night. Hope the DNR doesn't show up, thinking I'm shining deer!  :doah:
« Last Edit: September 09/04/22, 11:14:31 AM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :sleazy:I already called them. :sleazy: :tut: :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
No shortage of monarchs  flying around,  tried to avoid em but sadly a few found the grill of the pick em up. They best get going if they want to make Mexico..

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
:sleazy:I already called them. :sleazy: :tut: :evil: :rotflmao:

:tut: :tut: :tut: Post office opens at 8 o'clock sharp... :coffee: :happy1:

Spotted one Baltimore type oriole a little bit ago. Was hoping I could get by without buying another jar of grape jelly. Usually happens this way. Buy a couple jars of Welch's from DG so once the orioles are gone for good, we can eat it. The cheap store brand stuff is awful but the birds don't seem to care.  :cool:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
seems the hummingbirds mostly went south up north. took the feeders down. not much for other birds either.  :scratch: :scratch:

even seen one of them misterious moths Dotch see's while shining deer!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: and i didnt even need to go deer shining!!!!!1 :rotflmao:

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen one hummer yesterday morning up here.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We had some yesterday too. 

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
      Here in southern Minnesota, our hummingbird feeders are really busy. We had 7 of them here Sunday. Busy place again today. Wife makes up food every other day lately.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've counted at least 4 then I lose track. Never sure if it's just the same ones making laps around the house or what.  :scratch:

Looks like the orioles are gone for good. Last visual evidence here was Sept. 5th. Jelly is no longer disappearing.  :sad: 
« Last Edit: September 09/12/22, 10:37:03 AM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
still a few hummingbirds around. most my juice seems to be going into the wasp traps. think the wrens went down to Roony's place!!!!! :scratch: :doah:

other birds are hitting the sunflower feeders pretty good. having cardinals and morning doves hitting the mealworm feeder is sweet to watch!!!!! i need to get some more!!!!!

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
My Hummingbirds are gone, at least I hope they are. I brought the feeder in and washed it and put it away.       :pouty:
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Same here dutchboy. They have flown south I presume. Always a bit sad to see them go.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hummers are still here but perhaps not the numbers we had a week ago. Has been an uptick in sphinx moth activity around dusk and after dark. Fun to watch.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I haven't seen a hummer for 2 days.  Will take the feeders down tomorrow. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I will take the feeder down this afternoon when we get home.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Thinkin ours may be gone too. I'll check with the neighbor & see if he's seen any the last 3-4 days. :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Had a hummer this morning before work.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
That’s a great way to start the day!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That’s a great way to start the day!
:tut: :tut: we know where your mind is!! :tut: :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Think the hummingbirds around here went AWOL to

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't seen a hummer for days.  I will take our feeders down and warsh them out today.