Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289584 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have juncos now too.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Making it official: no more hummers, bird-wise or otherwise.  :sad: Took the last nectar feeder down yesterday. Replaced all of them with suet feeders. Couldn't believe what the price of suet cakes has done when at FF yesterday. Was expecting to see some in the $6.99 - $8.99 range. Nothing less than $9.99 for a package of 10. If that keeps up I'll go to the locker plant and get a 10 lb. hunk for $2 like I used to. PITA to cut it up for the smaller feeders but if they keep asking stupid prices for it at FF, it'll be worth it. Still a lot of birds moving through. White-throated sparrows and juncos are here. Lotsa robins too. They've eaten their fill of nannyberries that's for sure. 
« Last Edit: October 10/17/22, 10:04:57 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
bird bath is froze today...    a skating rink!!     :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
bird bath is froze today...    a skating rink!!     :rotflmao:
#minetoo!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
No skating rinks here yet but the Goldfinches are thick,  8 atta crack it seems but the catch is they all look like females.. young ones?? Nonetheless the tube feeder and tray feeder I'm filling daily.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Sitting by the fire and enjoying my beer seen  a group of 10 robins headed south? They telling us something??! :scratch:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Been lots of cedar waxwings thru here lately. They feed on the nannyberries and crabapples then get a drink out of the birdbath. Not much open water for any of the birds lately so been trying to keep that filled and cleaned. Blue jays, red-bellied woodpeckers and squirrels of course like the ear corn I've been putting out.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The feeders were hit hard up until last week.  Lately hardly anything but an occasional single house finch, sparrow and a red bellied woodpecker.  The squirrels are trying to fatten up but nuttin is dropping for em..lol.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Filled the bird feeders at the cabin yesterday. Got about 20 of the evening grosbeaks here. :happy1:

About 50 ducks out on the lake to. :happy1: at least I'm seeing some wildlife  :confused:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
When I get a spare moment I need to fill the feeders and put some ear corn out. Lots if activity including chickadees, house finches, goldfinches, downies, hairies, red-bellies, juncos, & blue jays. Feeders are getting on the lower side. Cardinals have been scarce but there are still some waxwings feeding on crabapples. Pheasants were scrambling along the north side of the grove heading for heavier cover during chores . Good idea.  :coffee:
« Last Edit: November 11/17/22, 08:21:11 PM by Dotch »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just had a flock of Evening Grosbeaks here too.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday afternoon while I was doing my chores ( dog poo, and playing fetch)I know sounds exhausting doesn't it ,the swans were pouring thru, really neat to see that kinda #'s.
« Last Edit: November 11/17/22, 04:22:43 PM by Bobberineyes »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the swans are really loaded on Lake Osakis too...  ....   they are saying 27,000 I think, sand hill cranes were at Sherburn wildlife refuge too!!!   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Would love to go see that crane thing in Nebraska. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I hung one of those large cages and filled it with beef fat. The woodpeckers love it!

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I like to use deer fat the same way. Birds love it.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw bald eagles by Ellendale gnawing on a roadkill deer. Geese & swans overhead getting the hell out of Dodge the past several days. Swans got a bunch of woofs out of Poppy when they honked.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I like to hang a deer rib cage in a tree and watch the birds attack it and go in and out of it.  They pick it clean.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
If I did that I'd have every crow in the county here, besides word would get out with the animal lovers. Maybe I should try a pheasant skeleton just to see.. just don't tell Mrs. Dotch..

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
If I did that I'd have every crow in the county here, besides word would get out with the animal lovers. Maybe I should try a pheasant skeleton just to see.. just don't tell Mrs. Dotch..

tell her it's a chicken carcass!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I like to hang a deer rib cage in a tree and watch the birds attack it and go in and out of it.  They pick it clean.
i 'd like to hang one on my washline pole!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: my dickhead neighbors could see it from there kitchen window!!!!!!1 :evil: :evil: :rolleyes: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
go to the meat locker and and get one!!!  Waite Park will have them!!   or Schrupps!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
go to the meat locker and and get one!!!  Waite Park will have them!!   or Schrupps!!!
naw, they've been known to call the cops on their neighbors!! :confused:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
naw, they've been known to call the cops on their neighbors!! :confused:

no law against feeding the birds with some thing legal.. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very good use of a carcass.  Nothing wrong with it.  The birds love it.  May be some fun shock value too.   :sleazy:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Very good use of a carcass.  Nothing wrong with it.  The birds love it.  May be some fun shock value too.   :sleazy:
  :tut: He doesn't need any tips on pot stirring from you guys.  ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
he's help us!!!  so we help him!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :pouty: yea i was the ultimate alter boy until i ran into you clowns!!!!!!! :pouty: :confused: :evil: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rotflmao: