Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 297735 times)

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Just saw the first Rose Breastfed Grosbeak at the feeder.

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Followed by an Oriole at the tuna can grape jelly feeder! A red letter day.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You get all the good orioles  :pouty:

Mebbe I wasn't hearing things... :scratch:
« Last Edit: May 05/05/23, 10:21:42 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I heard a bird singing in the tops of our trees but couldn't locate it.  I'm thinking oriole. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
put the jelly and juice feeders out.............. i put the bluebird feeder out the other day. its a mix of mealworm and various other seeds and nutz. i mix it up with more mealworm and so far i've had cardinals and morning doves on it!!!!!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a Coopers Hawk landing on our feeder almost daily the last few day. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw a rose-breasted grosbeak this a.m. & Mrs. Cheviot claimed to have seen an oriole. Entirely possibly but couldn't prove it by me. More Harris's sparrows, up to 4 at a time under the feeders. No white-crowned sparrows though. They've been a little pokey the past few years.

Update: Just saw an oriole while I was seated in the oval office.  :coffee:
« Last Edit: May 05/06/23, 08:36:53 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
you do your best work there dotch!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: so i've been told!!!!!!

ok i need some bird ID help. this morning i have all kinds of these same birds in the pine tree next to the bird bath. seen as many as 8-10 all at once on the bird bath.

there about the size of a sparrow. grayish but they have to small white stripes on there back on each side of the tail, and some of them they have a white stripe at the end of there tail.

any ideas??? it was fun watching them!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Not sure what you might have had there glenn. Should've had some of my farmer friends take a fuzzy picture of them for you like they do with weed pictures. I swear they're the same guys who post all the grainy pictures of sasquatch online. Had a white-throated sparrow hit the window a little bit ago. Alive but not flying away just yet.

Just saw our first hummingbird on the oriole nectar feeder. Still buzzing around the yard. Must be looking at some of the flowers while he's at it.

« Last Edit: May 05/06/23, 10:45:52 AM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That wasn't them I need to find the bird book later

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Didn't figure it was. The one in the photo is the one that hit the window. As dirty as the window is don't know how he didn't see it... :confused:

Checked on him a minute ago and he can run and flutter short distances. Seems to be regaining function. As long as the cats don't find him he might be OK.
« Last Edit: May 05/06/23, 11:08:23 AM by Dotch »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw our1st white-crowned sparrow. Now it can be spring. :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I went through 3 bird books and still haven't figured out what those birds are  :confused: :pouty: :doofus:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now I am really curious as to what they are.  Weren't just juncos were they?   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope juncos have headed north

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I guess we don't have any of them here now either.  Could they be Phoebe's?

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Heard our first house wrens of the season whilst checking the cutworm moth trap this a.m. Now it can be summer!  :cool:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We spotted some birds we couldn't identify on our walk earlier,  momma snapped some pics and Google tells us cedar wax wings,  havnt seen them at home,just out here. Can always take a pic Glenn and hit da Google button for ID.
« Last Edit: May 05/07/23, 08:29:49 AM by Bobberineyes »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That's pretty high tech for Glenn. ;) Still seeing a couple of juncos here. Not many though.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I struggle with warbler ID in particular. There are so many different kinds, they rarely sit still & many are just passing through so you only get a quick look a lot of the time.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I went through 3 bird books and still haven't figured out what those birds are  :confused: :pouty: :doofus:

Put the "merlin" app on your phone.  It will identify birds by sound or picture.

PS Saw the first hummingbird and the first red winged blackbirds of the season a few minutes ago.   Just put the hummer and oriole feeders out a day or two ago.    Never have much luck with oranges or jelly.  But I'll keep trying..

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Got hummers in God's Country!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's pretty high tech for Glenn. ;) Still seeing a couple of juncos here. Not many though.
I sent him and Mike the know how to do it, havnt a heard back so they must be still trying  ;) . Perty simple hit your search engine ( Google,  bing) a little camera symbol is usually in the upper right, hit that and walk thru the steps to your gallery. You can ID anything and everything.  Just had a rose breasted Grosbeak on the tray feeder, first for us.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the green herons are back in my pine tree!!!  at least 4 of them so I'm thinking the 3 chicks and the folks are checking out... hope they nest there again!!!   :happy1: :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I honestly haven't tried boobers method nor Dels for that matter. Been busy today. I usually don't have much trouble ID'ing  birds but these baffled me. :doah: they where gone today. :scratch:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I sent him and Mike the know how to do it, havnt a heard back so they must be still trying  ;) . Perty simple hit your search engine ( Google,  bing) a little camera symbol is usually in the upper right, hit that and walk thru the steps to your gallery. You can ID anything and everything.  Just had a rose breasted Grosbeak on the tray feeder, first for us.

never used and didn't know why it was there...  maybe I can figure it out sometime....   thanks Bobber!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That is pretty cool, not something I was aware of. I put this pic in & got more Corgi pics

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

never used and didn't know why it was there...  maybe I can figure it out sometime....   thanks Bobber!!!

I just looked at that too.  How cool.  Especially on my new phone that I thought was a 13 but no it is a 14Pro.  More than I can handle.  LOL

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
It comes in handy for Id'ing mushrooms,  it'll let ya know what ya can eat and not.