Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289580 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Well ya, it IS morning..... :rolleyes:
OH, you mean Mourning doves....due to their mournful call...  :azn:
yea whatever!!!!!!!!!!! :tut: :tut: :tut: dont start wit me or it'll be al ong day for you.!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :evil: :evil:

OH MY!!!!  :shocked:    :bow:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you two loony birds!!!!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Well hello, Daffy!!!  :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

if he's daffy........you must be rooster cogburn!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: or whatever that big chicken was called that was a doofus!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 04/18/19, 09:17:11 AM by glenn57 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
O ya?! Well, then take this!!  *SLAP*  :doah:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

if he's daffy........you must be rooster cogburn!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: or whatever that big chicken was called that was a doofus!!!!!!

I think you be referring to foghorn leghorn.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I think you be referring to foghorn leghorn.
:happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey the tree swallows are here.  Were looking for them all weekend and here they are this morning.  We have 2 houses for them near the house.  So tame.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I had to look those up, I've never seen one! Wow! They're neat!   Are they all that bright blue?! 

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Tree_Swallow/overview
« Last Edit: April 04/22/19, 09:05:38 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
they are cool birds, bug eating machines too!!!!!!! we usually have a pair or 2 each summer. havent seen any yet, however we had out first MORNING dove yesterday!!!! :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Always had lots of Purple Martins when I worked at the golf course  :happy1: & thought they were a  :cool: little bug eating bird too. Don't see many of them anymore, there was just a pc on 60 minutes this week about 'em & it said they're 'bout all gone because they're 1 of the few that rely on us to make 'em shelters. The TV segment featured some couple that had 94 houses & each house had room for 15 -18 nesting couples. It showed 'em bringin all the houses down to the ground, they were on a tall pole using a winch & cordless drill, to count how many little ones were in each 1. Most had 2-4 but 1 had 7
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes they are cool colored Rebs.  They are super tame too.  They like to sit with their head sticking out of the hole in the house and watch what is going on.  I walk right up to them and talk to them and they just sit there and look at me.   LOL  I think they even raise a couple of hatches here.  Not sure though.  They have lots of babies as Gunner said so a typical Peterson Bluebird house is too small for them.  I have them too for bluebirds. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds a lot like talking to Glenn.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
also, with most utilities going underground, purple martins like sitting on power lines and in open spaces.

people always lose them too, thats the only bird house you DONT clean out every year.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
also, with most utilities going underground, purple martins like sitting on power lines and in open spaces.

people always lose them too, thats the only bird house you DONT clean out every year.
:scratch: Thought in the pc on TV the old boy said something at the end about it would be soon be time to clean their houses out & get ready for the next year, as all the Purple Martins would be headed for South America soon. :confused:
« Last Edit: April 04/22/19, 09:51:38 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
my mom had alot of martins at home, still have some but not near as many. they actually have a purple martin club in the area. i definetely remember cleaning out a nest made by the martins needed to stay. now we always cleaned out nests made by the starlings and sparrows.

we have a friend that has a lake place by annadale somewhere, he had a bunch of martins, he cleaned out the houses, the next spring he didnt get any martins.

just what i learned growing up. i had a martin house at one time when i moved to the place i'm at now. it didnt have enough wide open space or power lines for then to sit on so i never had any. :doah:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My brother has a lot of Martin houses.  Gourds and big multiplex houses.  He is swamped with them every year.  We play our Martin CD on the deck and have some lookers landing but none have stayed.  They are on a steep decline too so they need all of the help they can get.  Just like duck houses turned around the sharp decline of wood ducks years ago.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
2 pair of them tree swallows showed up here yesterday...….spring gotta be close!!!!!!! :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thought I saw some yesterday!!  cool!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wish I could see some!!!!!!!!!  :angry: Did hear some RW blackbirds along a creek the other day when I went out to see Mom.
« Last Edit: April 04/28/19, 09:40:44 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
When I first bought the farm, I put up a purple martin condo. I had a friend that worked at the power company, and he gave me an old telephone pole to put it on. It's like 25 feet in the air.....never got a martin....ever....  :confused:

Now the trees have grown up around it, after 30 years. So, I don't think anything has ever nested in it.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
When I first bought the farm, I put up a purple martin condo. I had a friend that worked at the power company, and he gave me an old telephone pole to put it on. It's like 25 feet in the air.....never got a martin....ever....  :confused:

Now the trees have grown up around it, after 30 years. So, I don't think anything has ever nested in it.
HD, martins a finicky, they seemed to like power lines to sit on. when they took the lines down at my moms, she lost a bunch.

you don't have starlings or sparrows using it??? them buggers usually take over a martin house in a hurry iffin you don't watch!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
They may have taken it over now...I'm not sure...never really see anything hanging around it.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Smokey Hills Bandit

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: September 09/26/19, 08:13:00 PM by jlynch3 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Thought I might've seen a hummingbird out of the corner of my eye so put out the hummer feeder and the oriole jelly feeder. Looked back at last years data to see that the 1st hummingbird we spotted was on May 2nd and the 1st oriole was on May 8th. Bring 'em on!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Thought I might've seen a hummingbird out of the corner of my eye so put out the hummer feeder and the oriole jelly feeder. Looked back at last years data to see that the 1st hummingbird we spotted was on May 2nd and the 1st oriole was on May 8th. Bring 'em on!  :happy1:

nice!!!!! :happy1: