Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289479 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This morning's contestants. They were heading towards the garden when I shooed them away.  :tut:

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
This morning's contestants. They were heading towards the garden when I shooed them away.  :tut:
that coulda been a funniest home video moment!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
or on the grill!!!   :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
that coulda been a funniest home video moment!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

:taz: :taz: :banghead: :banghead: training-087 training-087

Aw, go eat yer smurfberries, ya gol durn pot stirrer!
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I thought you only had one of them. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I was hoping. These two are different from what appeared to be a jake that was terrorizing the place earlier. He had no fear. These skedaddled pretty quickly once they saw and heard me.  Not sure if they're hens or just younguns from an early hatch this season. Maybe someone who knows a lot more about wild turkeys than I do could chime in. I know next to nothing about them other than they can raise a lot of cain in a hurry. All the more reason to eat them!  :cool:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:taz: :taz: :banghead: :banghead: training-087 training-087

Aw, go eat yer smurfberries, ya gol durn pot stirrer!
:sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

IMO those are to big to be this year's batch, maybe last year's youngins.

I'd like a full tom turkey mount. If I want turkey to eat, I'll go to the frozen section. I did dehydrate a wild turkey and that wasn't bad.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The jerky that I've had made from them isn't too bad. And when they were first turning them loose a neighbor had some of one type the DNR decided not to release. Butchered one of those. It was a young bird so it was pretty tasty. Pretty much all trophy hunting going on now from the sound of it tho.   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Out the cabin window

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pretty nice Glenn!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Change of the season is in the air at my placemy place,robins and youngens left the area,grackles gone,downies gone,just a few chickadee's.fenches and cardinals left.

pheasant hatch in sodak looks like a good one plus the 200 chicks we released at twelve weeks old now have color,the few sharptail broods are growin up,should be a good hunting season along the missouri river system this season.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Cool pics, Glenn! So yer wife took them?  :nerd:

I'm not seeing any birds, because this family of Coopers is decimating everything. Continual kak-kak-kak calling all day long, and they're continually swooping all over. Did see some big crows in an aerial fight with them. That was cool. A bit unnerving....even went after a neighbors tiny chihuaha. Wonder if ya could get rid of 'em somehow, as in move along? They've been around here for about 15 years.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Cool pics, Glenn! So yer wife took them?  :nerd:

I'm not seeing any birds, because this family of Coopers is decimating everything. Continual kak-kak-kak calling all day long, and they're continually swooping all over. Did see some big crows in an aerial fight with them. That was cool. A bit unnerving....even went after a neighbors tiny chihuaha. Wonder if ya could get rid of 'em somehow, as in move along? They've been around here for about 15 years.
:mooning: :mooning: no she was sitting in here recliner in cold spring.........these where taken in itasca county 3 1/2 hours north!!!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

she hasnt been up there since labor day last year. BUT......i might get her up there twice this year. maybe labor day IF her granddaughter and boyfriend come up, but we do have a trip planned end of sept with some friends so i  know she will be up there once.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll trade yer hummers for these!!!  Looks like my deck is the new Hawk Central today..... and they sure do leave a mess on the deck. :angry: Appears they don't like the 76* dewpoint we're havin'. Notice the 3 of 'em in second pic. There are 4, but couldn't get one with all of them together. Hope those two aren't trying to lay an egg...... :doah:
« Last Edit: August 08/11/21, 10:08:29 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I prolly posted this before, but it is appropriate again for Reb...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: Gotta love Larson. If this keeps up, I'll need a wind sock and landing lights....

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Cool pics Reb, I  had  a family of cooper's couple years ago,was fun watching them hunt,they also swooped my dog and chased his chucket ball,for some reason the hawks chased the lime green ball the  most,they're stealth while nailing a rabbit was amazing,incredible in air agility,crows took over the hawks nesting area in my pine tree's,plus the nesting barred owls across the creek didn't help.

Today a kestrel hawk will swing over my back 40 alerting all the song birds once they get busted,all the birds warn each other,jays are the siren,all take to tree tops to spot danger.
« Last Edit: August 08/11/21, 10:29:38 AM by snow1 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Damn Reb, he gets all the cool birds. :pouty: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
all i get are mouning doves and crows.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
all i get are mouning doves and crows.   

You have a lithp? "I thaw a mouning dove"... :rotflmao:  :bonk:

Did you want one of my hawks? I might be able to deliver one to yer mailbox.....
« Last Edit: August 08/11/21, 06:15:12 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
That's what I get typing on a phone...  You can drop off a hawk or two, just let them loose in the back yard.   Not there to get them out of the mailbox.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
So what's this creature??? See them every year about this time on my hummingbird feeders and wasp traps??? Not the wasp, he is now RIP. By the way the hummingbirds are quite active too!! :happy1:
« Last Edit: August 08/21/21, 03:58:14 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
looks like a flying turd!  :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Pic's a little fuzzy but could be one of the stink bugs. Hopefully not the brown marmorated stink bug, once touted as being the next multi-colored Asian lady beetle as far as invading houses for winter. Hasn't been the case, yet.

https://www.mda.state.mn.us/sites/default/files/inline-files/BMSB%20Lookalikes%20Flyer%20MDA.pdf

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  :happy1: yep that's it all right. They will ALL DIE!! :confused:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And who else would have stinkbugs?  :rotflmao:    :nerd: