Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289585 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Refilled bird feeders this a.m. Bought a small batch of fresh thistle seed yesterday. Dumped and cleaned a couple thistle feeders to see if the goldfinches become interested. Can hear them when I come out to do chores but never see them on the feeders. Pretty good activity as the morning has worn on otherwise on the sunflower, suet and ear corn. Chickadees, downies, hairies, blue jays, nuthatches and a passel of juncos ground feeding. Cardinals were here yesterday but no shows so far this a.m. Surprisingly no squirrels yet after seeing as many as 5 eating ear corn yesterday. Didn't think there were that many in the neighborhood anymore. Numerous casualties on the road recently.  :scratch:

*~10:45 the fox squirrels made their appearance, at least a couple of them so far. So did a male cardinal. Must've been waiting for the wind to go down some.  :coffee:
« Last Edit: November 11/14/21, 10:57:45 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had gleaned a couple dozen ears of corn while soil sampling this fall but they'd gotten wet in the box of the Gator. Dumped them off in the plum & sumac thicket yesterday so I could harvest winter radishes. Wondered how long it would take the wildlife to find it. This morning almost like clockwork a rooster pheasant was wandering across the yard. Large white collar on him so possibly an old one. Pretty bird nonetheless. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Nothing like the sight & sounds of Pheasants. Wish I had some up here on the Tundra.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That they are db. Are there wild turkeys as far north as you are? Saw some by the turn to Itasca St. Park a few years back.

Curious if we'll see some Huns moving thru the yard this winter. Saw more out and about this summer than in many moons. Back in the late 80's, several groups came thru right by the house. Bizarre behavior. Run forward & then suddenly back up in the snow, almost like they were trying to collect snow under their feathers for water or something.  :scratch:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My kamikaze cardinal is still attacking the windows of my shop and truck thinking he's seeing a rival male. I thought this was more of a springtime behavior but I guess not.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Dotch,

I saw some Turkeys over on Hwy 71 North of Big Falls. I'm amazed they are so far North. I think it was only 15-20 years ago I saw some on Hwy 95 between Princeton and Cambridge. It was unheard of to see Turkeys that far North. They were mostly in the SE corner of the state then. They are everywhere now, kind of like the Eagles that went from almost extinct when I was a kid to being as common as a lying politician today.   :smiley:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have seen 4 or 5 turkeys in 16 years up here but was told they must have been released by someone.  ????  Who knows.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I have seen 4 or 5 turkeys in 16 years up here but was told they must have been released by someone.  ????  Who knows.
Maybe, but they still survived the winter and predator's right?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so,  :scratch: :scratch: to you were in red lake falls huh!!!🤭🤭

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I've seen some up here too :rolleyes: they're usually up by the Spring Lake Store when I see 'em.  ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've seen some up here too :rolleyes: they're usually up by the Spring Lake Store when I see 'em.  ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut:

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I’ve seen turkeys in several places around Grand Rapids and east toward Virginia. Every year I see some further north since first seeing them down around St. Peter maybe 25 years ago.
I remember the first bald eagle I saw. Upper Michigan about 1971 or thereabouts. I stopped the car and tried to get closer with binoculars and a camera to get a picture. These days I see them sitting on my dock or roosting on a tree in my yard.
The turkey thing reminds me of seeing my first possum—dead in the road while pheasant hunting just north of the Iowa border about 30+ years ago. Now they are common at least halfway up the state.
Just read about armadillos that have become pests up through North Carolina and  Virginia.
 Nature is evolving. Hope I never see our northern lakes with walleyes squeezed out and overrun by carp. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hey fishwidow, seen my first vulture driving up the hill west out of Henderson back in the late 70's!!!  kind of like what the heck did I see!!  and I agree with what you say on the other critters too!!!   I came out Mankato back in the day...  like 45 years ago...   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, I see turkey vultures regularly these days. Somebody’s gotta clean up the roadkill.  Although the eagles feast on it all the time, too

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
got that right, and don't forget the crows too!! 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Got some crows here that can't hardly wait for me to get done at the compost pile all the time. They are really on it this time of year though. Got some fox in the neighborhood that know where it's at as well. We had some black & white striped visitors quite often when it was real dry too, finally discouraged those guys ;)........................ with some lead. :smiley:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
must about 50 swans out on the lake this morning!!! 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
When I was rotating my ear corn around yesterday, I dumped some more of it in the thicket. Heard something rustling in the grass and our pet rooster pheasant flew out through all the brush. Must've woke him up from a nap.  :cool:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea no picture, didnt happen.......... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

yea dotch i'm thinkin it was likely the other way around.  :doah: the rooster was scratching around in the corn, you were napping!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and a good monday to you bud!!!!! :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn teach Mike how to do the picture thing. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn teach Mike how to do the picture thing.
i already offered................. :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

yea dotch i'm thinkin it was likely the other way around.  :doah: the rooster was scratching around in the corn, you were napping!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

never took a picture any way...  to far away to get a clear one...   oh well I guess it didn't happen then according to popular demand...    :pouty:   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

:tut: :tut: :tut: Just wait till your father gets home... :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A few sightings yesterday. Had a pileated woodpecker appear briefly and a robin that was hanging around the yard. Ground was still thawed along with lots of crabapples and berries for them to eat. Our suet feeders are all the horizontal type to keep sparrows and starlings from feeding. Thought perhaps if I put one regular feeder back up it might persuade the pileated woodpecker to come back. Not yet but it did attract the damn sparrows and starlings within about 10 minutes!  :angry:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: don't starlings head south???

Yesterday afternoon running some piss and vinegar out of shadow seen a cardinal and a few woodpeckers. Seems to be a few finches around too

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The goldfinches have been cranking it up here. Several times the past several days I'd see all the perches on the thistle seed feeders occupied. Helped to get some fresh seed. Left one screen feeder with the old stuff in it. They know which ones have the new stuff in them.  :cool: