Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289500 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Lots of bird activity out back this morning. Fiches, chickadees and even a woodpecker!!👍
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Pheasants on parade yesterday. Saw 8, mostly roosters, digging through the garden & trying to pluck off the few remaining nannyberries. Hilarious watching as they got out on the smaller branches & fell out of the trees.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Later afternoon yesterday & this morning the pheasants were in the crabapple trees. Really tough to get good shots of them as they're so spooky. There's a reason they're survivors.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a nice raised deer stand that I hunt in when I go to my buddies farm in SW MN.  I can open a window when a deer isn't looking and they don't even know I am there.  The pheasants all fly  away when I even wiggle it.  Much more wary than deers. 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Living up here in the Falls I really miss Pheasants.    :pouty:
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Well, I'll try to keep you supplied with some pics from time to time. The pheasants like our yard and some of the plantings we've made over the years. They've been sleeping in the evergreen trees lately. About scare the living crap out of me when I accidentally scare them off their roost.

I see the wind blew my bulk sunflower feeder out of the tree last nite along with a lot of other stuff. Poppy & I will have to retrieve and refill it after the Mrs. dr. appt.
« Last Edit: January 01/27/23, 11:51:55 AM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: grouse scare the bejesus outta to up in the Northwoods. Even when your hunting them! :confused:

But then again then buggers flush when you least expect it!🙄

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I need to find a bigger feeder for my sunflower seeds. I wonder if one of those chick watering cans would work? That thing must hold a gallon?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dutchy, get one of these!! All metal and plastic. Skurrels proof. A bit more spendy then most but I've had these for I bet over 15 years. You can replace the plastic, i have but it's  not because of bird or skurrels abuse.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the wishing well???   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

That's what I was wondering...🤔

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
How do ya train them birds to turn the crank?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :moon: :banghead: :banghead: :pouty: :pouty:.it's hard to soar with eagles when you gotta deal with a bunch of turkeys!! :pouty: :doah: :surrender: :surrender:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Thats ok Glenn, I knew what you was talkin about.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I can see why them Pheasants are so skiddish tho, imagine getting chased from day one from the air and ground predators.  Then come fall you got guys like me with dogs chasing them more..no thanks don't sign me up for 1 after life..

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The small group of pheasants through the yard this afternoon wasn't as camera shy as others. Think I might've figured out why the ear corn disappears so fast some days... :scratch:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's pretty cool to see that rooster actually jumps up on it like that. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
With all them being corn fed I'd bet they'd taste pretty good!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
These guys (& gals) look really healthy so far. I was surprised to see the one up on the ear corn feeder too. That's where the blue jays, red-bellied woodpeckers, cardinals & occasionally a nuthatch come to feed. Usually the pheasants perform clean up duties under the feeders. There were 3 back again earlier this morning, 2 roosters & a hen. Guessing it was the same bunch as yesterday.
« Last Edit: January 01/29/23, 11:02:27 AM by Dotch »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Very nice Dotch.  Good for you to feed them. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I really haven't put feed out for the pheasants specifically. Some days they have to share.

« Last Edit: February 02/01/23, 01:52:27 PM by Dotch »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Them pheasants would be fun to watch.  Think if I lived outside the land of Tar and houses I'd have them fed til they can't fly! Anywho the Rabbits are destroying the bushes out front (we were going to yank em this year anyway) as I took this pic a bunny was getting all it could with bird seed on the ground,  during the day. It looks they leave the greens and chew on the stems.. :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i dont have bushes at home.......but up at the cabin you can pretty much tell where the snow line was........alot stuff chewed off!!!!!!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
My favorite invasive species!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I get they need to eat, but we've been here for almost 19 yrs and this is the first year they destroyed them.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Them pheasants would be fun to watch.  Think if I lived outside the land of Tar and houses I'd have them fed til they can't fly! Anywho the Rabbits are destroying the bushes out front (we were going to yank em this year anyway) as I took this pic a bunny was getting all it could with bird seed on the ground,  during the day. It looks they leave the greens and chew on the stems.. :confused:

They've been terrible here as well. I noticed they were messing with my apple trees. Wrong answer.  :coffee: 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
One year I had Rabbits. Next year I had Hawks and less  Rabbits. Following year I had neither. Rinse & repeat.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I need to burn some brush piles so the great horned owls can get a better whack at 'em. At least the pheasants are smart enough to roost in the trees. The bunnies not so much.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Had some corn screenings spilled in the barn so scooped them into a bucket, added some oats & scattered them in the backyard. Put them out yesterday afternoon & took off on some errands. Wife said I wasn't gone a half hour & the pheasants found it. Lots of takers this morning including cardinals, blue jays, juncos, & these roosters.