Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 298429 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Watch out for them cowbirds... :coffee:

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
My wily cocker spaniel showed up with a flicker in his mouth. When told to drop it he immediately complied snd looked at me for praise.  The bird is doing ok, just seems a little shocked. It’s spending the night in a crate and hopefully will be ready to head back outside in the morning.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hearing and seeing more white-throated sparrows daily moving through the area. They stay temporarily but eventually they move along, heading to their summer homes far to the north. Love their song. It says it's spring here in SC MN. Or if it isn't, it should be.

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have seen them here before.  Had our first male redwing blackbird here today.  Lots of juncos and other small birds.  Better get out the bird book.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
an article i read on bring me the news this morning titled loons falling out of the sky.

apparently up in northern Mn and Wi, with this crappy wet snow, rain and freezing rain ., loons are having a difficult time flying in that stuff. they get froze up on there wings and cany fly and fall down!!!!!

friggin crazy. ONE would think thye'd maybe know better  :doah: :scratch:
« Last Edit: April 04/22/23, 04:17:13 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
articleread an aertilse

?????? Boar!!!!!! A little help here please!  :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
an article i read on bring me the news this morning titled loons falling out of the sky.

apparently up in northern Mn and Wi, with this crappy wet snow, rain and freezing rain ., loons are having a difficult time flying in that stuff. they get froze up on there wings and cany fly and fall down!!!!!

friggin crazy. ONE would think thye'd maybe know better  :doah: :scratch:

here's the article   

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/loons-are-falling-from-the-sky-in-minnesota-and-wisconsin
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw a pair of cardinals in the rhododendron bush just outside the front door.  He had a twig in his mouth and she was watching attentively.  Next he tried to bend and break other wigs into place, but the green twigs would not yield.  I was hoping they would build a nest there, but they both moved on.
« Last Edit: April 04/24/23, 08:30:23 AM by Steve-o »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Heard the first brown thrasher of the season this morning.  :coffee:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: i thought you heard that every morning in the oval office!!!!!!!!!! :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and what kind of a bush......Steveo!!!!!! :scratch: :doah:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: i thought you heard that every morning in the oval office!!!!!!!!!! :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

and what kind of a bush......Steveo!!!!!! :scratch: :doah:
I'll take the high road...  ;)

You can also call them azaleas - like the bushes you see blooming all around Augusta National Golf Course when the broadcast The Masters.

We did have a pair of birds build a nest in our bush a couple-few years back, but I am hard pressed to remember what they were now.  Sparrows?  House finches?   Yellow-bellied sap-suckers?  :scratch:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: i wouldnt know.........i dont watch golf............ :confused:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Barn swallows are back and they brought some tree swallows with them. Lots of white-throated sparrows this morning. Juncos are pretty much gone. Haven't seen any white-crowned or Harris's sparrows yet. Thinking I should put out some grape jelly & maybe some orange halves over the weekend. If the weather warms up like they're talking next week, wouldn't be surprised to see an oriole or two.  :coffee:
« Last Edit: April 04/28/23, 10:46:43 AM by Dotch »

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We ususally see the first orioles and grosbeaks around Cinco de Mayo. This past week I saw my first Blue Heron of the season.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have been waiting for the tree swallows.  They nest in our martin house.  I thought they were martins at first.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
judging by the bird feeders here at home they havent been busy here.

at the cabin the past couple days some birds came around, so did the 2 black skurrels!!!!!but they havent been fed either since mid feb. last time someone was up there was super bowl weekend!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Put the jelly feeder out with a couple orange slices on it. Forgot to pick up grape jelly but found a squeeze bottle of cheap stuff in the fridge I must've finished out the season with last year. Keep thinking I'm seeing a hummingbird out of the corner of my eye when seated in the oval office so will likely mix up some sugar water and put a dual purpose feeder out. It's orange and intended for orioles but the hummers like it too. Lots of goldfinches at the feeders and cardinals singing their lungs out. A whole herd of white-throated sparrows too. Great to hear all the birdsong after essentially none most of the winter.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-weather/how-minnesotas-stalled-spring-is-creating-a-bird-traffic-jam?utm_source=Bring+Me+The+Newsletter&utm_campaign=3064f94265-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2023_01_14_12_44_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-4c39b4d6ff-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Keep thinking I'm seeing a hummingbird out of the corner of my eye when seated in the oval office so will likely mix up some sugar water and put a dual purpose feeder out.

Mike and Boober texted me....they think its the "WEED" Timmy dropped off for ya!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
At leastya havent hallucinate about wrens.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I usually put out the hummingbird feeders and oriole feeders the week prior to fishing opener. I want to set out the mealworm feeder but haven't seen any yet. Maybe next week??!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
At leastya havent hallucinate about wrens.

I keep having flashbacks tho... 😵‍💫

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
A Redheaded Woodpecker this morning!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Beautiful birds.  I haven't seen one in years.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
anyone seen any orioles or hummingbirds yet??? thinkin i'll wait on the juice feeders but gonna put out the jelly today. mayhaps next week for the juice?????

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw a female yellow rumped (Myrtle subspecies) warbler yesterday in the kindly neighbor's backyard. Warblers would be a lot easier to ID if they'd just sit still for a little bit. Guessing we probably have some at the ranch too. They're likely in the plum & sumac thicket where all the wood ticks hang out.  :doah:

Haven't seen any orioles or hummers yet. Nothing eating the jelly except house sparrows. :mad1: Nothing has touched the orange halves. When I head home for lunch today, I might put the nectar feeder out. Punted on it over the weekend after it cooled down & we had gale force winds.  :angry:  Almost forgot, my neighbors also saw bluebirds there yesterday. They said when the sun caught them the blue color was so intense they stuck out like a sore thumb.
« Last Edit: May 05/03/23, 10:08:30 AM by Dotch »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
maybe i'll wait a bit then!!!!!!! :pouty:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They gotta be getting close here. Seems like they'll show up in municipalities first where it's more sheltered & they know there's food. We're usually a few days off the pace at the ranch as we're more like an oasis in the middle of the desert. The bottom link lists a lot of sightings from other species of note including some insects. Did notice more red admiral butterflies out and about yesterday afternoon at the ranch. Their sightings sometimes coincide with true armyworm flights. I haven't seen the Harris's or white-crowned sparrows yet but, usually the orioles and hummingbirds are right on their heels. As I said, got to be close.

https://maps.journeynorth.org/map/?map=oriole-first-baltimore&year=2023

https://maps.journeynorth.org/map/?map=hummingbird-ruby-throated-first&year=2023

https://maps.journeynorth.org/maps

« Last Edit: May 05/03/23, 09:59:06 AM by Dotch »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw the 1st Harris's sparrow of the spring here this morning. When checking the cutworm trap thought I heard an oriole in the windbreak too. There's getting to be enough evergreens and foliage for them to hide in so doubled down and filled the jelly feeder. Effin' house sparrows keep eating it so it needed to be replenished. Put the oriole nectar feeder out too in case there's an errant hummingbird passing thru. More red admiral butterflies along with armyworm moths. Also noticing what appear to be queen bumblebees that have emerged from hibernation. At least that's what my friend the Boy Entomologist told me. One flowering bulb they're particularly fond of. The queens are very large relative to the workers and sends a clear signal that spring is underway at the ranch.   
« Last Edit: May 05/05/23, 10:10:35 AM by Dotch »