Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289560 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'll have to remember that. I bumble into lots of fungi when out and about. Saw a whole slug of inky caps growing around an ash stump a couple days ago. Have never eaten them & probably shouldn't. I'd have to plan ahead if I did.

https://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/inky-cap-mushrooms.html

Repaired the birdbath over the weekend. It got left out over the winter. It's a plastic model that a large branch must've fallen on & cracked it where the bowl hooks onto the pedestal. Cleaned it up, put some super glue in the crack, let 'er dry for a day, put some water in it overnite to see if it held water. Didn't leak so screwed it back on the base. Backyard is fully functional for birdwatching again. Added some jelly to the dishes. Just waiting for the orchard orioles to show up.  :whistling:
« Last Edit: May 05/08/23, 10:17:12 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Have the first oriole!! :happy1: :happy1: :cheerleader:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm sure I heard one today too..   good for you!!! :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Just saw our 1st orchard orioles of the season. Recognized their scolding call while Poppy was pooping 💩
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw a cat bird just now at the jelly feeder.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hummers made there arrival here!! :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Have an indigo bunting here this afternoon.  :cool:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice! Haven't seen one yet this season.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have an indigo bunting here this afternoon.  :cool:

I've only seen a couple in my life.  Beautiful birds.  The Tree Swallows showed up yesterday.  They are what we confused as martins for awhile.  They live in the martin house. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Hummers made there arrival here!! :happy1:
feeders went out Monday, seen the 1st one Wednesday. :cool:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'll get the hummingbird feeders out when i get up there on the 22nd. brother has no interest in feeding birds.  :doah: :embarrassed:

i havent seen any tree swallows yet....they usually occupy a bluebird house, which i dont mind....they eat lotz of bugs!!!!! :happy1: when i went up to moms last week she had all kinds of purple martins...... thye like to have power lines to perch on, and i have nothing here.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We got to the cabin yesterday afternoon, put out the oriole feeder and within minutes they were doing fly bys. There really not sure, maybe I have it too close to the woods  :confused: Or could be us and the pooches running around.  1 humming bird so far, Lotta roonys wrens tho.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Rooster pheasant crowing in the back yard. Hear him off and on every day.

:happy1: :happy1: :happy1:
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
No wrens flying around here.  :sleazy: :sleazy: :sleazy:

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have confused birds. I had orioles and grosbeaks on our finch feeder. Had goldfinches and indigo buntings on our seed feeders. The starlings and grackles like the suet.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have confused birds. I had orioles and grosbeaks on our finch feeder. Had goldfinches and indigo buntings on our seed feeders. The starlings and grackles like the suet.

spring fever!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife put out the hummer feeders and some jelly for the orioles.  I came in from fishing and there were already hummers here.  We have orioles this morning.   :happy1: :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I went through 3 bird books and still haven't figured out what those birds are  :confused: :pouty: :doofus:

Put the "merlin" app on your phone.  It will identify birds by sound or picture.

PS Saw the first hummingbird and the first red winged blackbirds of the season a few minutes ago.   Just put the hummer and oriole feeders out a day or two ago.    Never have much luck with oranges or jelly.  But I'll keep trying..

The orioles preferences here seem to vary with the group passing through and what's available. Early on they were only eating jelly with an occasional drink from the nectar feeder. Lately I can't keep up with their jelly feeding habits. When that happens, now they've opted to go after the orange halves. They wasted no time eating the two halves I put out so I put 4 halves out just a little bit ago. Hope they eat them up as I have lots of leftover oranges that are squishy on the outside but just fine on the inside.     

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll get a bag of oranges when I hit the store tomorrow.  I like them too. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Watching the robin under my deck I'd wager her eggs hatched. She's out gathering food and there's a hatched blue egg shell in my garden

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
While making me a little something to eat had a red breasted grosbeak on the birdbath.  :happy1: :clap: :dancinred: :rocker;

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Watching the robin under my deck I'd wager her eggs hatched. She's out gathering food and there's a hatched blue egg shell in my garden
How far is that from the nest? I'm thinking a dirty nest raiding wren dragged it there. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
How far is that from the nest? I'm thinking a dirty nest raiding wren dragged it there. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:just yesterday i seen cowbirds, a cardinal and a WREN in my black walnut tree all at the same time. those wrens are friendly and eat alot of damn bugs!!!!!! :happy1: :rolleyes:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:just yesterday i seen cowbirds, a cardinal and a WREN in my black walnut tree all at the same time. those wrens are friendly and eat alot of damn bugs!!!!!! :happy1: :rolleyes:
One out of three worth having around

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
not a bird but seen the first monarch butterfly's yesterday and a couple more today!!!   :happy1:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Must be a cowbird that hangs around Bucko in the pasture.  Walks around right next to the horse. Like a female red wing blackbird.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
after a 2 year absence we finally seen bluebirds, so we opened up the bluebird houses..........got home last night and picking up dog crap i find a dead bluebird below are big living room window!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: musta bonked himslef on the window chasing bugs!!!!!!

BUMMER!!!!!!!! :doah: :confused: :pouty:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Bummer. Ya windows are tuff on them. We get plenty of window hits here too.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yea birds in the patio doors suk...   too many here to... 

not birds, but dragonflies!!!   was going to say last week I was seeing them, well now they are are everywhere!!!   cool to watch and the colors!!!    :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wish we had some dragonflies right about now. The mosquitoes are fierce. Haven't seen any bats at night either, yet.