Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289570 times)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Wish we had some dragonflies right about now. The mosquitoes are fierce. Haven't seen any bats at night either, yet.

skeeters are really bad here too...   picking asparagus was nuts!!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Here in the city of clean living I,ve had very few skeeters.

On a side note I have been watching a bluebird adding nesting material to a blue bird house.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Even after spraying the skeeters are still thick here late evening. Daytime is good.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Had big owl swoop across the yard at about 5 feet yesterday. Probably a great grey.
 Not birds but we have a mama bear with three cubs hanging around. The dogs were pretty interested but cautious this afternoon.  The cubs were up a tree and mom staked out the bottom and snarled when they got within about 20 yards. I managed to get them herded to the house and she waited for about an hour before she let the little ones come down. I’m hoping she took them further back into the woods so there’s no confrontation when I take the dogs out about 10;30 tonight.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Even after spraying the skeeters are still thick here late evening. Daytime is good.
:scratch: I think the neighbor sprayed at least 2, maybe 3, times in about a week or 2 before we dared to sit out on his patio for a little HH before we left.  :rolleyes:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The city sprayed last night but still some squites around.  Sure helps though.  I did see my first Monarch of the year the other day.  Some yellow butterflies too. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: I think the neighbor sprayed at least 2, maybe 3, times in about a week or 2 before we dared to sit out on his patio for a little HH before we left.  :rolleyes:
The wife was talking about doing it again this weekend too.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen my first fawn Monday evening. Standing up, pretty shaking and mom was busy cleaning him/her up. :happy1:
mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen my first fawn Monday evening. Standing up, pretty shaking and mom was busy cleaning him/her up. :happy1:
i'll have to look at my bird books to see what that kind of bird looks like!!!!!!!! :evil: :rolleyes: :scratch: :nerd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

just giving ya grief!!!!!!! :happy1: awesome to hear!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Was wondering when those fawns would start showing up. Have to be on the lookout for them. Not like we need more deer in these parts but never like hitting deer of any size with a vehicle. Jelly consumption by the orioles has slowed some. They must be in nesting mode. Saw a female oriole last week looking for nest building material. Need to take some of the suet feeders down and replace them with a couple hummingbird feeders the next couple days. Have been lots of hummers around. Hope they're nesting here. The little ones are really cute when they first show up at the nectar feeders. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
man does the bird bath really go down in this weather...   got to keep full for the tweety birds!!!    :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hmm, interesting. We have our jelly in a cup on the feeder. Have never seen a hummer get into it. The hummer feeder hangs about 16" away from the cup too. Doesn't really say how the jelly is affecting them?

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
said something about getting it into their feathers!!!   I have never seen anything like that ever happen...

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We offer grape jelly & orange halves for the orioles. Nectar (4:1 ratio sugar water) is provided for both hummingbirds and orioles, with numerous flowering plants to provide nectar to hummingbirds and pollinators of all kinds throughout the season. Like jb, have rarely seen hummingbirds so much as sniff at the jelly over the decades we've been feeding it. Have no problem with it liquifying either aside from after a rain. When that happens, it usually gets dumped. Our feeders are also cleaned routinely. If they wanna whine about lack of protein provided by jelly to the young, they obviously haven't noticed the orioles picking the ants out of the jelly feeder and carrying them back to the nest to feed their young. We have more hummingbirds and orioles than we've ever had. Until I see something not using conjecture and speculation to arrive at a conclusion, in other words sound, multiple-location data, the jelly feeding will continue at the ranch. 

« Last Edit: June 06/03/23, 12:09:36 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: atta boy Dotch.........you tell'em!!!!! :rotflmao: same here!!!!!!!!

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Anyone else noticing fewer Baltimore Orioles at their feeders? I think I saw a Orchard Oriole only a few times.
Now that I think of it, I haven't seen many woodpeckers, either. I have heard them in my grove, though.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i've still got orioles around.............they might be starting to nest  :scratch: thats when they seem to disappear for me!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i know robins typically have 2 broods a year............sometimes anyway. do they use the same nest?????? i havent seen any activity in the one under my deck recently! :scratch: thinking of taking it down!!

one of her youngins got sckmucked out on the street in front of the house the other day!!!!!!!1 :confused: bummer!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Normally they don't reuse the nest altho we had one in the barn that did for a couple years. The nest got to look like a chimney about a foot tall. The 3rd year they didn't show up again. Only one I've ever seen do that.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
had one that nested in the brush and used it 2 or 3 years,,   then nothing....  if it was the same bird anyway.. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
When the kids were young we built a platform unser the eves by the windows.  We did that after watching the robins try to build a nest on the angled downspout.

Sometimes, if i forgot to clean out the old nest, they'd build a new nest on top of the old.

We usually had two broods a year.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
One of glenn's buddies having a little lunch... :coffee:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice peaceful birds. Love em.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Just saw a newly fledged robin in the back yard:  speckled (not red) breast and tiny tail feathers.  :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just seen my 1st baby robin today too!!!!    :happy1: :happy1:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday I saw a female cardinal hopping around with a twig in its mouth.  I was hoping it would fly up into one of our trees and betray her nest location, but she flew out of the yard and out of sight.  She was back this morning - no stick this time - so her nest must not be too far away.   :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
oh happy day!!!   seen the pair of loons just a few minutes ago on the lake with a chick on their back!!!!!!  sure hope they don't lose it!!! 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I was wrong!!!   it's a pair of chicks!!!!   nice!!!!! 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I was wrong!!!   it's a pair of chicks!!!!   nice!!!!!
put the beer away, it might really be only one!! :sleazy: :rotflmao: :happy1: