Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 298400 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I put enough in the HB feeder down by the shore to make it ~ 2/3 full on Sunday & it was already empty yday. :crazy: We have 1 up here between the outhouse and the generator too & it looks like they haven't hardly touched that 1 since I put some in it just before we went back to Ia. :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Still have orioles up here yet too.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
The hummingbirds are going crazy here. :rolleyes: :happy1:

2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw an immature Baltimore male on the nectar feeder when I was seated in the oval office. Still jelly in the feeder tho. Have a male cardinal singing his lungs out every morning. Lotsa wrens chiming in.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Last night while grilling we heard a birdcall from the other side of the windbreak. Turns out it was the Sandhill Cranes.
« Last Edit: August 08/04/23, 11:48:13 AM by roony »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had to fill the HB feeder again this morning. :cool:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Took them a while but 4 Baltimore orioles were back over lunchtime. They had cleaned up the remaining jelly and were demanding more. Who am I to argue?  :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I cleaned and set these up a little over 24 hours ago. There's gotta be 50 of these wasps in it already.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
These son of breeches! :confused:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had a nest of theirs under the lift canopy a couple days ago, I nuked it the next day.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: it really helps keeping them away from the hummingbird feeders.  :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  :doah: Well, I didn't get 'em all as they were back when I came in this AM. :mad1: I was afraid of that, so the can of spray never left the boat. Might wait 'til they're all sleepin again though.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Those darn wasps find ours every year too. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Nuked 'em on the way out & when I came in again today. What was left of the nest fell in the lake the last time. :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not exactly a bird thing but it involves the bird feeder.  I mentioned about a month ago that a squirrel without a tail was in the feeder.  We don't know if Cooper pulled it off or some other critter.  Mayhaps a fisher.  We have seen them in our trees.  But we never found the tail so who knows.  Well we have never seen that squirrel again.  Life must have been pretty hard for him without a tail for balance. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yup no tail suks!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: sheez....mind is always in the gutter!!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :rolleyes:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
There's that seks thing again... :coffee:

Saw a fully colored Baltimore oriole yesterday hanging around the jelly feeder so reloaded it this a.m. Had to dump the water & jelly mixture out of it 1st. Need to use up the rest of the cheap jelly so I'm not tempted to use it when I run out of the good stuff. Should clean and refill the hummingbird feeders soon. I see the 4 o'clocks are starting to flower so they have lots of alternatives. They really like the cannas that are in full bloom.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: sheez....mind is always in the gutter!!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :rolleyes:

just saved you from saying it is all!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

just saved you from saying it is all!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
:tut: :tut: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's an oddity, I think.
Wife and daughter are canning peaches today. They had some of the syrup left over and decided to dilute the syrup and put it on the hummingbird feeder. Hummingbirds and orioles are all over it.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
One my favorite things was when my Grandma got my mom and our cousins and they canned peaches.  Hard to beat a jar of canned peaches. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Few things better as a kid than home canned pears or peaches with cottage cheese. Gotta start 'em young! 😉

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
One my favorite things was when my Grandma got my mom and our cousins and they canned peaches.  Hard to beat a jar of canned peaches. 
We always did a crate of Colorado's every year when I was in school. Dad loved 'em, especially with a little vanilla ice cream.

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I used to buy lugs of peaches at Eisenbergs Fruit in St Paul. And canned them for the winter. Really cheap snd good stuff. I also bought boxes of bananas from them. When my youngest daughter was born. I had just bought a 40 lb box of bananas. I spent the next four days visiting my wife snd newborn baby daughter and slicing bananas to dehydrate for banana chips. About three days without much sleep.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
we just got a case/box of peaches from our fruit supplier........was $40.00but man are they good!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I think these will make it. The four hens should be able to keep
them out of trouble.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Roony  :confused: :tut: what da hell you do with the wrens! :pouty: mine packed up and headed out  :confused:

Haven't seen them in a week.

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Weren't me. Wish I could take credit.