Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 298397 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
the feeders at home got hammered while i was gone. they were getting hit hard at the cabin to but them f^&*&^ ing blue jays.  :angry2: :angry2:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hey those are god's creatures too!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hey those are god's creatures too!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:tut: those creatures can feed somewhere else. I've been trying to feed them lead  :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Not as bad as tham wrens.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
I can not believe the amount of bird food I’ve been going through. At the cost of it this year I may have to put the birds on a diet ration. I need to find a good source for a good amount of corn. I started putting some corn in the deer feeder and it didn’t take them long to start showing up. First few days just a fork horn. Then he must have told a few friends, and now a few of them are showing up. Fun to get up each morning and check the trail camera pictures on my cell phone. Have a BIG buck I’ve been following for 4 years now. Hope he is still alive. Got picture of him for 3 years now. Been fun watching him grow. He showed up last winter with a bad leg injury. Not sure if he survived winter.
"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I feel like I have gone through more sunflower seeds than ever too.  They just dropped $5 a bag here.  Maybe due to the harvest. ???

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
I feel like I have gone through more sunflower seeds than ever too.  They just dropped $5 a bag here.  Maybe due to the harvest. ???

Yes the sunflower seeds are getting hit hard. The Finch food even harder. Sometimes there are so many birds on the finch feeder I can not see the tube.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Guessing the increased acreage planted in the US & extremely good yields probably made the prices go down some. Even though global production is forecast to be down some, the US isn't one of the major players on the world market & exports a relatively small percentage of the crop. Worked with sunflower growers for 3 years when I got out of college. Fascinating crop & NSA has a fun site to dig thru.

https://www.sunflowernsa.com/buyers/SunflowerPricing/

https://www.sunflowernsa.com/stats/historical-prices-values/

https://www.sunflowernsa.com/stats/us-supply/

https://www.sunflowernsa.com/stats/world-supply/
« Last Edit: October 10/30/23, 10:13:17 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I knew you would have the answer Dotch.   :happy1:

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw a magpie fly across the road as I was driving yesterday. I didn’t know they were around this far East. I’ve seen lots of them west of here.

Offline FishThumper

• Outdoorsman
After the fresh snow and colder temps, The birds were really hitting the feeders this morning. Has to go knock the snow off of them and refill.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
After the fresh snow and colder temps, The birds were really hitting the feeders this morning. Has to go knock the snow off of them and refill.
same here got a bunch of Juncos!!!!! :happy1:

i'll refill them tomorrow before i head north.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
How far east are you fishwidow? Saw some magpies near Blackduck and points north to I Falls last week. They were common when I lived in the Little House on the Prairie in ND. They loved rummaging through the goose gut piles dumped in the slough.

Checked the suet feeders when I was home a little bit ago. They've been getting hit hard too. Just got more suet so will have to restock the feeders in a day or so.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I recall seeing some North of Cass Lake about 10 or 12 miles years ago... 

on a side note the birds and tree rats are sure quiet here today...   
« Last Edit: October 10/31/23, 03:11:17 PM by mike89 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw a magpie fly across the road as I was driving yesterday. I didn’t know they were around this far East. I’ve seen lots of them west of here.
been seeing these magpies up north recently......seems like only in the fall for the most part????????

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey, Dotch. North of Grand Rapids and maybe 6-7 miles East. I can remember seeing them in the Dakotas and points west, but I don’t think I have seen any in Minnesota.

Another bird I recall seeing a lot as a kid was meadowlarks. I have seen them further west in relatively recent times. But then I don’t spend as much time on the prairie as I do in the woods.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have magpies here.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We have magpies here.
Yes, we see lots of them up here
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      Not a backyard bird (well, not my backyard) but I haven't seen many Canada geese this year. They must fear me and stay away.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Since I'm positive Barry is now playing the sunflower market based on these posts, here's the latest on black oil sunflower prices from Fargo ND:

A year ago: $26/cwt

Last week: $16.80/cwt

This week: $16.30/cwt

Projections are prices in the $16.50 range for Dec, $17.35 for Jan-Mar, & $18 for Apr-Jun.

Should be cheaper bird feeding this winter than last year based on that and prices being seen in the stores. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Dotch.  We will hit the Big M today and get some more seeds.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Feeder activity has slowed somewhat with the warmer temperatures. Still a bunch of robins feeding on the fruit and berry trees & bushes. A few goldfinches reappearing & a loyal group of house finches has developed. Been a few years since we've had them consistently.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll trade roony wrens for all these effin....f_&-+++( blue jays up here. :angry2: :confused:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I can cross another bird off the list, we had a pair of Northern Flickers stop by yesterday.  We do get a good variety of wood peckers, although I don't have a suet feeder out they like the tray feeder. I might just try the suet again.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
must be at least 50 swans on the north end of the lake this morning!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Any ice on your lake Mike?

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
thin layer on the south end is all

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I heard/saw a flock of cranes fly over while I was enjoying the warm sunny WI breezes yesterday afternoon.  It must be getting colder up north.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Did see a robin Thanksgiving Day. Three snows on the Robin's tail... :coffee: