Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Big W/E left L/Winnipeg?  (Read 2173 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:reporter; Any big walleyes left in Lake Winnipeg? :scratch:

That paunchy Lake Winnipeg greenback came in and SMOKED a Livetarget Golden Shiner Rattlebait (glow/white) just 5' under the ice last week. Only thing more fun than the catching, is watching 'em wave goodbye.

We ended up icing 'round 100 fish over the 2 days -- still can't get over how stinkin' gorgeous those "greenbacks" are! Worth the drive up even just to see the little'uns in the sun, but spoiler alert: we had a handful of BIGS mixed in.

Check the full vid here:

https://www.facebook.com/TargetWalleye/videos/1993754360892779/

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12/29/17, 08:29:46 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I suspect that article came from a local business up there,one always has a chance on big windy for a hog but today few and far between,after years of netting the lake to the tune of over 5 million walleyes from commercial and trible netters the lake is nothing like it was 10years ago,infact the ministry imposed new regs this year on the lake,sound familiar? to little to late I'd say,same story different trophy lake.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Last year was pretty slow compared to past years but I did catch at least one Master (28") each trip I went up there.  I haven't been up yet this winter but my friends both Canuks and Yanks that have been have all caught some beautiful BIG Greenbacks!   Snow it's not tribe netters on Winnipeg it's mainly Canuks of Icelandic heritage that have been commercially netting for about 4 generations.   30 years ago most netted were 16-18".  Minnesotans are their primary customers, where most walleye in restaurants come from.The big green backs caught the last 15 years are from a illegal stocking of rainbow smelt which exploded in the North basin.   The bait population nose dived about 3 years ago.  A lot of the big ones caught last year were skinny.  The pics from my friends were all nice Fat ones this winter.  I can't wait to get up there again..