Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Baltimore Oriole feeder problem  (Read 5625 times)

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
My Oriole feeders are giving me problems with the significant fluctuation in temps.  As the temps rise the liquid starts to leak out.  Yesterday nearly a cup of nectar ended up on the ground.  Anyone else experiencing this?  Any suggestions on how to solve it?   The mess it makes is a pain.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
What sort of a nectar feeder do you have Tom? Never had trouble with that on ours but the wind empties them frequently. Got tired of that too. My solution was to give up on nectar feeders and go to feeding jelly only. 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
funny you brig that up. I bought a new oriole feeder at fleet farm this spring. I refuse to use the one made with the little balls in the holes. apparently its suppose to prevent bugs from getting in. on a perfectly good calm day, like yesterday, I watched it leaked like a siv!!! it now resides in the recycling bin. JUNK. and whats worse, they don't sell the older style that worked just fine.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I had some of those. The bugs got in them anyway even after the wind emptied them!  :angry: I'm looking for an oriole feeder made out of heavier glass so the wind won't affect it so much. Saw one at FF but not it's not as heavy as the hummer nectar feeder we have. Wind doesn't bother that one much.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
The one I have is from the FF and has 3 perches on it.  It was leaking a little when it was just sitting there but it really was dripping when a bird was on it.  I was using a grape jelly/water mix recommended on the Journey North webpage.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
We got the omes with the balls in the holes and they work great no leaks no ants when the hummer feeders get full a ants.Only thing that bothers me about that Oriole feeder is the noise when the birds peck at em,They are 8=10 ft outside a window where I sit,most feeders can be seen from there an a bath click click click irritating! with lots a orioles!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Does it look like this one Tom? Aside from the wind emptying it, my other problem with this one was it was a bugger to clean properly. Can't take the reservoir apart to thoroughly clean it. Could rinse with hot water forever and still have black ants coming out of it.

The hummer feeder we have has an ant moat on top which if kept full of water, keeps ants out. Also use the permethrin ant guards which while not cheap, are effective here. I even use them on the cup type jelly feeder when they get bad some years.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
This is the piece of crap I bought that's in the recycling. Dotch, that's the one I won't buy either.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Sheesh! All the work you guys go thru to fill and clean them....why dontcha just make 'em tiny jelly sammiches and set 'em out a plate full of those? No muss, no fuss!  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
This is the piece of crap I bought that's in the recycling. Dotch, that's the one I won't buy either.
WHAT THE HEY IS THAT???!! A Barnum and Bailey ladder trapeze ball for birds??!?   :laughroll:
« Last Edit: May 05/27/18, 05:43:08 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :moon: awe go feed the neighbor ladies cat!! :moon: :mooning: :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
OH MAN 57 I know when you open yer wallet moths fly out BUT spend a few bucks an get a feeder not a ornament!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Da Orioles loved it at first. Show me one that doesn't leak like a Harley and I'd buy it.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wait 'til Mikey sees that.... :doah:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Now see what you've done...

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I was thinking the leaking was Glenn's depends!!!! 

but not sure about, cause it depends!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:popcorn:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I was thinking the leaking was Glenn's depends!!!! 

but not sure about, cause it depends!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
awe go back to the campfire! :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
well at least I can and have a good night!!! and no depending on help!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1:

night......
« Last Edit: May 05/27/18, 09:09:24 PM by mike89 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Have a good night bud!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey did anyone bring Mikey inside last night or is he still out by the fire?  Like those pictures of partiers the next day after passing out..   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey did anyone bring Mikey inside last night or is he still out by the fire?  Like those pictures of partiers the next day after passing out..   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

now you want in, 12 hours later!!!!  too funny!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Ya, but he and his buddies had a good time, though..... :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Ya, but he and his buddies had a good time, though..... :rotflmao:

who all dat??? Barry Glenn and crew???!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman