Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 524750 times)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
 :doah:  I missed the Donatell part of the headline.   :embarrassed:

Yeah, the Vikings season wasn't a flop, but Donatell's certainly was.   :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Thanks, Dutchy.   :bow:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: i just read that article from Scoggins on MSN!!!!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: January 01/19/23, 03:07:03 PM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My brother just texted me that Donatell is gone.  ???

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well as expected Donatell got his walking papers. :happy1:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
No reason to let him twist in the breeze.  No good way to get fired, but this will let him look for his next job - NFL defensive position coach, college D-coord, whatever - and then the Vikes can start searching for his replacement.

10 candidates to replace Ed Donatell as Vikings defensive coordinator

• Vikings assistant head coach Mike Pettine
  • Broncos defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero
  • Former Broncos head coach Vic Fangio
  • Rams defensive coordinator Raheem Morris
  • Former Wisconsin Badgers defensive coordinator Jim Leonhard
  • Seahawks assistant Sean Desai
  • Steelers linebackers coach Brian Flores
  • Chargers defensive coordinator Renaldo Hill
  • Rams defensive backs coach Jonathan Cooley
  • Cowboys secondary coach Joe Whitt Jr.
I don't know if any of these names grab you or are even recognizable.  Good luck to them hiring the best guy out there when the Vikings defensive re-build ain't much past Square One.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I realize change was needed & he was the easiest move to make. I agree Steve-O, & read this pc yday that makes some very good points about the issues with the D this season. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/3-reasons-why-vikings-firing-ed-donatell-is-not-the-answer-to-their-defensive-problems/ar-AA16xzND?ocid=

Online fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Good article. You gotta have the horses to do it.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Couldn't agree more.  They underperformed at all three levels of the defense, but to me, this was the one thing from your article that stood out.

"Their two primary tacklers (linebackers) simply did not produce enough big plays, and when it came to covering opposing running backs and tight ends, they were regularly chasing them down from behind and unable to prevent key receptions."

And I think that was Pete Percich's Monday morning after the loss take, when the Giants ate them alive in the first two series with the middle of the field wide open.  At some point the coach has to devise a scheme that can shut something down.  Yeah, that'll open up something else, but the longer the season went on, the more teams exploited his "shell" defense. 

Still, to Donatell's credit, if the Vikings D would have gotten lucky with just one interception, and turned one of those Giants TDs into points going the other way, it would have been a different game.  That is the way the whole Vikings season went.  Unfortunately in the Vikings loss, they didn't get that key turnover.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
with all the blurbs i've read it seems like Flores and the dude from Wisconsin are the most likely???????????

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I'd take Morris from the Rams. If the Vikings think they are close they should have a experienced D-Coordinator. Not only to handle the defense but to be another voice for the head coach. They worked together for the Super Bowl run the Rams had so it's not like starting at square one in a relationship. Also at that time Darnold was there only true star on defense. Plus he's Black so that will make the NFL happy.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
That's the thing about the 3 / 4 defense is that everybody at all 3 levels need to be able to do more. Such as the DL has to stop the run, pressure the QB, & even drop off in coverage sometimes. Much the same for LB's & DB's except their priorities often differ by what the guys up front are doing. One thing about the loss to the Giants that not many are talking about is how many carries Jones had. He was by far their leading rusher, 17/78 & Barkley was 9/53. There aren't very many teams in the NFL that are real good at stopping a running QB no matter what kind of defense they play or who their coach is. The Vikings have never been 1 of them.
« Last Edit: January 01/20/23, 10:57:06 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I've seen 3-4 lists too but I'm not sure any of 'em had all of Steve-o's guys on it. Personally, I like Leonard, the Seattle guy, & think Pettine should get a look too. :scratch: I don't know that much about the bottom 3 on his list though. :confused:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd take Morris from the Rams. If the Vikings think they are close they should have a experienced D-Coordinator. Not only to handle the defense but to be another voice for the head coach. They worked together for the Super Bowl run the Rams had so it's not like starting at square one in a relationship. Also at that time Darnold was there only true star on defense. Plus he's Black so that will make the NFL happy.
Might be tough to get Morris to leave the Rams and Sean McVay.  Didn't McVay flirt with leaving this year.  Maybe Morris thinks if he sticks it out a couple more years with the Rams, he might have a leg-up on McVay's head coaching job.

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
I only listed him because he was on the list you posted.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
And I do like your logic - I just think he is going to be a tough get.

I do like those guys who were great defensive coordinators, went on to be so-so head coaches, and then went back to being great defensive coordinators again - like Leslie Frazier and - maybe some day - Zim (but on some other team NOT the Vikings).

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
One of the Zimmers, I'm not sure which one is headed to Colorado to be Coach Dion Sanders (Prime Time) DC with the Buffalos.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
One of the Zimmers, I'm not sure which one is headed to Colorado to be Coach Dion Sanders (Prime Time) DC with the Buffalos.
it's Mikey. Think his kid that was a coach passed away recently. Although I don't know how many kids he has involved in football  :scratch:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 3 kids, only Adam, the oldest, was in football.
« Last Edit: January 01/21/23, 06:40:55 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I know it is all talk at this stage but the 49ers have made Purdy their designated starting QB.  So we need to get Trey Lance on our roster.  Cousins may only have a year or two left in him and we need a change of scenery at QB.  And to think that Purdy was the last player taken in the draft. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'm on the Purdy bandwagon and hope he takes it all the way!!!!!!!!! but that 49ers team is sure stacked with talent!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree Glenn.  Fun to watch them. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Lance was the #3 overall pick & his price tag will be very high. Way too high for the Vikes IMO. So will Jimmy G's, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: January 01/21/23, 01:13:20 PM by Gunner55 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: It sounds like they've already been pretty busy trying to find the new DC. :cool: Read where they've asked to talk to coaches from NO, Seattle, 2 from the LAR, & Flores. At least 3 of those are rumored to be in the running for new HC jobs too. Most all have worked with O'Connell before somewhere.

Online dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
#1 interview question should be...."Can you beat the Packers?"

#2 interview question should be "How would you stop our offense?"

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: After the GB & Dallas games everybody in the league should know the answer to #2. Put Cousins on his back &/or double JJ with your best cover guy along with a safety over the top. :rolleyes:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Kapt. Kirk always has been, always will be a lightening rod.  He hasn't shaken the rap of being able to put up good regular season numbers, but can't win the big game - or does he?

My question at the beginning of the season was this:  Will Cousins do better with Zim gone?

Statistically, this year was very similar to his last two years with Zim (see attachment).

The big difference is that in 2020 there were 7 wins, 8 in 2021, and 13 in 2022.

Maybe Kapt. Kirk DOES have some "It Factor" in him after all.   :scratch:

CousinsStats

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Imagine a Minnesota Vikings defense next season without Harrison Smith, Patrick Peterson, Eric Kendricks, Za'Darius Smith and Jordan Hicks – and an offense without Adam Thielen, Dalvin Cook and CJ Ham.

Playing in 2023 with aging, high-priced veterans isn't an option for a Vikings team that is $24.5 million over the salary cap. Cuts need to be made and the seven popular players mentioned above (excluding Peterson, who is an unrestricted free agent) are the most obvious potential cap casualties.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Scary isn't it?  Pretty much has to happen. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Imagine a Minnesota Vikings defense next season without Harrison Smith, Patrick Peterson, Eric Kendricks, Za'Darius Smith and Jordan Hicks –
It was bound to happen.  Most of those guys are getting older and slower and more expensive. 

Remember when Spielman started?  I seem to recall he got rid of all the veterans and started with new young talent.  'Course Trader Rick had lots of draft capital to work with.  I don't think the Vikes have as much of that for Kwesi Adofo-Mensah to rebuild, and it seems to me the Vikes have been trading future draft pics to get players for the last two seasons.  I could be wrong on that.