Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 518008 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
He'll be gone before they have a pick, all the experts have the top QB's gone by ~ pick 10 or 12. The OL from USC is still pretty popular as their 1st rounder according to what I've seen lately. It starts Thursday!!
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
You never know with Trader Rick.  Like all GMs, his selections are miss and hit.  But I think he generally does a good job of moving up and down the board.

And I don't study this stuff religiously, but it seems to me, Trader Rick was ahead of the pack when it came to the value of trading down.  Now every GM wants to do it.

But then there was 2013 when Spielman traded up to take his 3rd player in the first round when Cordarrelle Patterson was available at pick #29.  So Rick will move up too when it makes sense.

I can almost guarantee that they have contingency plans to jump up and take Lance if he falls far enough.  The only question is, how far will Lance drop and how much capital is Trader Rick willing to spend to go up and get him.  And certain there will be other GMs playing the same game.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They are all pretty sharp guys even if they don't pick who we think they should I think.  Looking forward to Thursday night.  Looks like 7 pm our time.
« Last Edit: April 04/26/21, 11:59:33 AM by LPS »

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Zero chance Lance gets beyond 7. It's a feeding frenzy for quarterbacks every year. Queens will grab a linebacker or trade back.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Zero chance Lance gets beyond 7. It's a feeding frenzy for quarterbacks every year. Queens will grab a linebacker or trade back.

I hope you are just joking about the linebacker prediction.   ;)

The only way the Vikes can trade back is if there is someone very valuable available at 14 that the Vikes don't want.  And that has to be balanced against the other side of the trade - do the Vikes still think they can get the guys they need if the trade back.   :confused:

I gotta tell you though, there is nothing more disheartening than waiting for the Vike's 1st round pick - only to find out at the last minute that they traded it for a 2nd, a 4th, and a 6th rounder in 2022.   :doah:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You got that right SteveO.  About 10 years ago one I decided to watch the draft for the first time.  Had to wait a couple of hours it seems to get the Vikes pick.  I waited and waited and then they traded their pick.  I sat there all night for nothing.  LOL  BUT it wasn't funny then.   :rotflmao:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
You must be talking about the 2010 draft.  That is what I was complaining about in my rant.  Here is what they said then.  From Bleacher Report...

"Let me start by being blunt: this was a disappointing draft for the Minnesota Vikings...

When the Vikings traded out of the first round, it was a smart decision. The cornerbacks they were targeting were off the board, so it made sense to acquire more picks and see what fell to them in the second round.

However, the Vikings should have been more aggressive in the first place. Maurkice Pouncey is possibly the best center prospect in ten years. The Vikings could have traded up to get him but instead waited around to make just a decent pick.

There was a ton of buzz around Pouncey, especially with the Vikings and Steelers. The Vikings knew exactly what they needed to do to get him, which was trade ahead of the Steelers; big mistake to not pull the trigger there.

Pouncey would have turned that offensive line into the beast it once was with Matt Birk."

Two years later, in 2012, the Vikes drafted Matt Kalil in the 1st round (4th overall pick).  He was good for a year, but pretty much a bust for the Vikes afterwards.  And in all the years since, the Vikes still haven't figured out how to build a competitive offensive line.

P.S.  Pouncy is still playing for Pittsburg!

:thumbs: :pouty: :crazy:

Fairness in savagery...  Here are the notable names from the 2010 draft.
  • Chris Cook, DB (2nd round)
  • Toby Herhart, RB, (2nd round)
  • Everson Griffen, DE (4th round!!!)
  • Joe Webb, WR (6th round)

« Last Edit: April 04/26/21, 04:25:10 PM by Steve-o »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That was probably it.  They traded so I waited for their next pick and they traded again.  It was late when I gave up and went to bed.  LOL

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I always thought it would make a good book to write about each team's worst mistakes.

I'll bet every team's fan base feels pretty much the same way.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered why Khalil could get to the Pro Bowl his first year and then drop so much in quality after that?  Too much time spent at his pizza place?

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Heard 1 of ESPN's NFL people say that Lance could easily turn out to be the 1st or 2nd best QB in this draft with his skill set. Only havin 1 season of D1 football though makes him a bit of a risk.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Heard 1 of ESPN's NFL people say that Lance could easily turn out to be the 1st or 2nd best QB in this draft with his skill set. Only havin 1 season of D1 football though makes him a bit of a risk.

We will know for sure what the NFL thinks of him in a couple of days. He seems to have the talent & smarts to go in the top 7 so i'll stick with my prediction Vikings don't get him. Pretty cool that a Minnesota kid can be rated this highly.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
they had a nice segment on him last night on the #4 news. he sure seems like a good level headed kid!!!!!!!! and to go that high possibly in the draft from a small school like NDSU is pretty sweet also!!!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just read where it's Jones or him goin @ #3 to SF according to the new $ comin in to Vegas. :scratch: :confused:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man I am so excited about this draft.  I think we made a haul of great talent.  I just ran into this on KFAN and was able to copy it.  This makes Stanley look pretty good too.  This is the WR we drafted in the later rounds I think.  This guy looks good.  https://youtu.be/1pR7m07KLqA

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
They all look pretty good on paper now.  But, yeah... I'm optimistic.  In theory they addressed a lot of need.  They even signed a free-agent kicker without wasting a draft pick on one.  :happy1:  Now they just have to learn, gel, and perform. 

The Pikers have issues with Baby Aaron pouting in Green Bay.  :cry:

The Lions will always be the Lions until they prove otherwise.  What do they think they can get done with Goff that they couldn't do with Stafford?   :confused:

And 'der iz hope for 'da Bears, but weez don't know how long it will take for Fields to get 'dem playin' at a high level.  :blues brothers:

But the real trick will be... can Zim take last year's worst defense and turn it into one of the best this year? - minus CB Jeff Gladney - last year's 1st round pick arrested this year on assault charges.   :doah:  (If he plays at all, it will only be after a lengthy suspension.) 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
MEH.......all you negative nelly's....... :surrender: :pouty: i'm already planning a Vikings super bowl party!!!!!!! :sleazy: :happybounce: :nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Man I am so excited about this draft.  I think we made a haul of great talent.  I just ran into this on KFAN and was able to copy it.  This makes Stanley look pretty good too.  This is the WR we drafted in the later rounds I think.  This guy looks good.  https://youtu.be/1pR7m07KLqA
He's fast, got good hands, & good size.  :scratch: I think the 2 OL will get minutes, maybe a lot, right from the start from what I've read. As will the DE from Pitt & wouldn't be surprised to see his teammate play quite a bit as well. The only 2 who'll sit a lot is the QB & LB. Here's the rest https://www.vikings.com/draft/2021/picks/all-picks

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
MEH.......all you negative nelly's....... :surrender: :pouty: i'm already planning a Vikings super bowl party!!!!!!! :sleazy: :happybounce: :nerd: :nerd: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Well you might plan it but your wife will execute it.  ;) Also be sure see uses neutral colors cuz the only way Purple is the color of choice will be if Baltimore makes it.

No faith in Spielman drafting wide receivers. One was a pot head, the other was blind and couldn't see the ball. We will see, like mentioned they all look good on paper. The question becomes can they and do they want to play.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya mean like Justin Jefferson and Adam Theilen?  Diggsy wasn't bad neither. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Well you might plan it but your wife will execute it.  ;) Also be sure see uses neutral colors cuz the only way Purple is the color of choice will be if Baltimore makes it.

No faith in Spielman drafting wide receivers. One was a pot head, the other was blind and couldn't see the ball. We will see, like mentioned they all look good on paper. The question becomes can they and do they want to play.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: i usually do most of it anyway!!!!!!!!! :doah:

LPS wasnt Thelen a walk on???????????

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That may be.  He may have just tried out on his own.  That sounds familiar. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Diggs was a 5th rounder too. :Clap: This guy & Jefferson can both play in the slot which they did a lot in college. :happy1: :cool:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I really think that guy will fit right in with our program.  I see Hughes probably won't get the fifth year deal.  That is fine with me.  I don't think his body can handle the NFL. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The two big O line guys is great too!  That may make Bradbury better too. 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.

Taking Jefferson was the same as taking Moss. A complete no brainer when the player fell to him.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
You just aren't saying what year you are planning it for.  ;) :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You just aren't saying what year you are planning it for.  ;) :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: NO i didnt!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Taking Jefferson was the same as taking Moss. A complete no brainer when the player fell to him.
One big difference IMO, Moss fell to 'em because a lot of GM's didn't think he would be able to stay on the field because he would be either suspended or in jail. With Jefferson many questioned his ability to play the same position, slot WR, in the pros  because he's not real fast. He's not as big, 6-1/ 200, as they like 'em in the NFL now either. :crazy:
« Last Edit: May 05/04/21, 08:47:33 AM by Gunner55 »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The two big O line guys is great too!  That may make Bradbury better too. 
Read somewhere that the G from Ohio St is a little ornery most of the time. He has a nasty mean streak & likes to end the play with his guy flat on his back. Both are 6'+, over 300#'s, & have long arms, which Zim really likes.