Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 518045 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: January 01/27/22, 09:57:29 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: I read this differently.  :confused: https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=E211US1289G0&p=Brown%27s+compensation+for+Mensah+signing:

Yeah, I read your article the same way you did, but I don't think it is correct.  Not because I think I know so much or want to be right, but I want to find out if the Vikes are really going to lose two draft pics or not.

I found this source that indicates "compensatory" picks will be added to the end of the 3rd round, which implies the NFL is adding them, rather than taking them from a team.  What would happen if the Vikings didn't have a 3rd round pick in the next two years?

NFL compensatory picks for minority coaches and executives explained

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I don' think I've ever heard of these compensatory picks before but I was of the opinion that if they did have to give up 2 of their 3rd round picks that some teams might consider that a bit steep & reconsider going after the minority employee they were looking at. That could derail the whole minority hiring program for those positions the league wants. :crazy:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I think their logic goes the other way - whether we agree or not.

They say if you hire a minority into your executive office, and he gets promoted out of there by another team, the league will reward the team that lost him team with two extra draft pics - with are a valuable commodity to a team.

If they hire a white guy who gets hired by another team, the team who loses the guy gets nothing.

That is the NFLs way of providing incentives to hire more minorities.  They figure if they feed the system at lower levels with more minority hires, eventually more minorities will be promoted into the top positions.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Makes no sense to me neither and may even be more racist by even doing it.  Sounds like a penalty for hiring a minority person to me.  Even if the NFL gave the team that lost the minority person the draft picks, I don't see how that makes any sense either.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
No, I agree Steve-O, the league giving extra picks is an incentive to hire more minorities but penalizing the team that hires them to more managment type positions with the loss of 2 3rd rounders didn't make a lot of sense to me.  :doofus:
« Last Edit: January 01/27/22, 07:43:37 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Rick Spielman Takes Another Veiled Shot At Mike Zimmer

Here's the shot...  :fudd:

“I think the No. 1 thing you’re looking for is that head coach has to have a relationship with that quarterback, and can a defensive head coach connect with that quarterback?”

With the #1 defense in 2017 and Case Keenum running the offense, Spielman thought they were one Quarterback away from making a Superbowl run and went "all in" on Cousins.  Zimmer was never on board with the move.  Think about it...  Zimmer and Cousins only just started watching film together last season.   :scratch:

Rumor has it Spielman started the process of looking for a new head coach part way thru last season (obviously in hopes of saving his job if he could find the right coach and convince the Wilfs to keep him).  So it seems plausible that Deion Sanders' claim that Spielman and Zim didn't speak to each other for the last 6 months makes some sense.  :lipsrsealed:

This Zimmer/Cousins thing is really starting to remind me of Childress/Favre in 2009.  Favre, the gunslinger, who had the experience and talent to keep defenses off balance by calling audibles at the line and Chili, whose ego would not allow himself to surrender any control.  Were it not for that strained relationship, the Vikings might have had a Superbowl that year.  :doah:

The Patriots are successful - in part - because they make moves one year too early rather than one year too late.  :happy1:

Starting to hear all these rumors really makes me wish Spielman and the Wilfs would have fired Zimmer earlier and promoted Stefanski to head coach instead of letting him get away to the Browns.  :pouty:

The Patriots were somehow able to keep coveted Offensive Coordinator Josh McDaniels in the fold.  Too bad the Vikes aren't as forward thinking as the Patriots organization. :tut:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I believe 1 of McDaniels incentives to stay is that he's getting paid almost entry-level HC's pay, rumored to be $4 mil/year. Pretty sure he has a lot of the GM duties now as well. Not many teams approach it like the Pats & that's a huge reason for their success IMO. I think the Krafts deserve a lot of credit for having a good working relationship with their guys too.
« Last Edit: January 01/28/22, 08:12:16 AM by Gunner55 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That Zimmer didn't like Keenum even when the chemistry was so good with him and the team and let him go was a huge downfall for the team.  Getting rid of Zimmer and elevating Stefanski would have been a great fit for everyone. Sure Keenum hasn't done great since leaving here but that chemistry they all had was a huge thing. 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:scratch: I read this differently.  :confused: https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=E211US1289G0&p=Brown%27s+compensation+for+Mensah+signing:

So more or less it's just another Affirmative action, Equality pick!  :doah:
yep. as i see it....no longer has anything to do with job qualifications!!!!!!!! :scratch: not saying he wont do a good job.........thats yet to be determined!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: He was with the 49ers for 7 seasons starting out just doing research for the player personnel dept before being named the lead man the last 3 before he went to the Browns. So he looks to have a plenty of experience to me. :confused:
« Last Edit: January 01/28/22, 07:00:34 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
That Zimmer didn't like Keenum even when the chemistry was so good with him and the team and let him go was a huge downfall for the team.  Getting rid of Zimmer and elevating Stefanski would have been a great fit for everyone. Sure Keenum hasn't done great since leaving here but that chemistry they all had was a huge thing.

That is where the ego of the coach and GM can really be the downfall of a team.  That, and they are afraid to trust their players.  If they were to take a flier on Keenum - or a rehabbed Teddy Bridgewater - that would have been viewed as a risky decision.  The "smarter" play was to acquire Sam Bradford and later, Kirk Cousins.

Spielman should have know better than to trust Bradford's beat up body to last.

Zimmer should have been open to coaching a style of offense that fits the roster rather than forcing the players fit "his" obsolete scheme.

Egos!   :doah:

Guys like Spielman and Zim stroke their egos by trying to prove their way is the best way.

And then you have Belichick who strokes his ego by kicking everyone else's  :moon: !!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
So which year did they extend Zimms contract? Must have been some turmoil going on to see it.. so why??

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
So which year did they extend Zimms contract? Must have been some turmoil going on to see it.. so why??

Per Wikipedia...  "In late July 2020, Zimmer signed a three-year contract extension, keeping him as the head coach through 2023."

Oh by the way, also per Wikipedia...  "On January 13, 2020, Stefanski signed a five-year contract to become the 18th head coach of the Cleveland Browns, two days after the Minnesota Vikings lost in the NFC playoffs."   :doah:

You can't fire a coach that just took you to the playoffs, right?   :scratch:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sad the way that panned out.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: https://www.aol.com/vikings-reportedly-interviewed-another-head-174932868.html Mostly DCs in the list at the end of the pc, only 3 OCs & 1 has already been hired in Denver. :huh:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Yea thats what we need anot h er defensive minded head coach
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Jim Harbaugh

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i seen they may be interviewing a guy from the giants because of his close friendship with the new GM???????

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw that one a little bit ago. Maybe he'll bring Kaeperdink back... :bonk:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Harbaugh interviewed tonight. Maybe they won't let him leave town like the Bears did with Pole when he was supposed tom come here the next day. :confused: :confused:
« Last Edit: January 01/29/22, 09:28:22 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wouldn't that be terrible.  Half of the Vikings fans would find other teams to follow. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Wouldn't that be terrible.  Half of the Vikings fans would find other teams to follow.
i guess this new GM liked him back in there 49ers days!!!!!!!! :scratch: :scratch:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
i guess this new GM liked him back in there 49ers days!!!!!!!! :scratch: :scratch:
Yeah, they were together for all of Harbaugh's 4 years in SF. Same coaching style as Zimmer IMO. :rolleyes:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just read on KFAN.  Down to 3 finalists.  Rams OC, Rams DC, Harbaugh.  I would take either of the Rams guys.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, they were together for all of Harbaugh's 4 years in SF. Same coaching style as Zimmer IMO. :rolleyes:

If there was anyone who would know the pros and cons of Harbaugh's coaching, it would be our new guy, Adofo-Mensah.

Just as long as he has a plan to fire him one year too early instead of one year too late when Harbaugh's act starts to grow old in the locker room.

I also read this morning that the Wilf's were accepting Adofo-Mensah's "input" in the Head Coach in hiring the coach - whatever that means.