Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 517499 times)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Dodged a bullit id say

Do we have a sour grapes emoji?  :confused:

Vikings target Jim Harbaugh explains why he's staying at Michigan, says he's chased the NFL for the last time

Harbaugh indicated Minnesota failed to match his enthusiasm

When Harbaugh called Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel to alert him he was returning, he told him that this NFL flirtation was a "one-time thing."

Harbaugh was able to go out and explore his options. Now, he sounds more committed to Michigan than he ever has been.

Yeah, right.  We'll see how Michigan feels about Harbaugh when he underperforms expectations or loses to Ohio State two years running.   :thumbs: :rotflmao:

P.S.  Legendary WR Cris Carter thumbs up Vikings passing on Jim Harbaugh

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I see where Zimmer felt he needed to tell the league he would like to coach this season. The pc said most of league thought he'd take a year off.  :scratch: Wonder if he's open to going back to a DC position? :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Him & Chilly can open a sandwich shop together.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good one Dutch.  LOL

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I see where Zimmer felt he needed to tell the league he would like to coach this season. The pc said most of league thought he'd take a year off.  :scratch: Wonder if he's open to going back to a DC position? :confused:
Did Zim break up with his girlfriend or something?  :confused:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
haven't heard anything on that...   just heard he's looking for work....  but the jobs are getting scarce, they say..
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The Ram's OC was asked about the Vikings job out at the Pro Bowl & he wouldn't confirm or deny but he did tell the reporter that he did own a winter coat. A done deal IMO but nothing can be said until the SB is over.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Schefter says Minnesota Vikings, Kirk Cousins will 'figure something out'

O'Connell worked with Cousins in 2017 when he was the quarterbacks coach for the Washington Commanders. That season, Cousins posted the worst passer rating (93.9) and QBR (56.0) of his career as Washington went 7-9 and missed the playoffs.

But this isn't just about the two apparently wanting to work together. Schefter suggested Cousins could restructure his deal to save money in the short term.

“So that tells me that Minnesota and Kirk Cousins will figure out something, and maybe come up with a restructured contract that adds years on for Kirk Cousins and gives the Vikings salary cap relief this offseason, to give them more money to spend on other players."

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Adam Schefter said on ESPN Sunday that the Vikings and Kirk Cousins will "figure something out."

In other words, Schefter is believes that new head coach Kevin O'Connell wants to work with Cousins, who carries a $45 million cap hit entering the final year of his contract with the Vikings in 2022.

“Kevin O’Connell worked with Kirk Cousins in Washington. Kirk Cousins endorsed Kevin O’Connell for that job. One of the reasons Kevin kind of wants that job is because of Kirk Cousins. There’s a relationship," Schefter said during Sunday's Pro Bowl coverage on ESPN
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen an article where Cook said he's excited to play for O'Connell too. Mainly because of all the good stuff Cousins has been telling him about their time together in Washington.  :cool:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Man is that good to hear.  As a whole it didn't seem like they were having fun the last couple of years.  Will be good to see smiles again.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Cousins is the devil we know.  He ain't the best, but he ain't the worst.  Maybe without Zim oppressing him, O'Connell can coach him up and get the most out of him.

We know Kapt. Kirk ain't much of a leader, but he does have some passing skills.  If the offense can get inspirational leadership from Cook and Jefferson, it could be a formula for success.

AND, maybe...  just maybe...  when they go to extend Cousins' contract, he might give the organization a team-friendly deal.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup I think they will keep him at least for next year.  I would be pissed if he didn't offer a deal to the team.  And man do we need to get a young guy coming up the ladder too.  Maybe 2 of them. 

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Why would he give the team a deal? This guy is no dummy regardless of what Glenn thinks of him. When with Washington he got them to franchise tag him 2 years in a row. Then he leveraged that into what was the first guaranteed contract in the NFL. I don't see much wrong with his game except he isn't accurate on deep throws. Because of that I think Zimmer went away from the long ball to much. You have Theilan & Jefferson to stretch the field, let them go and do it. It will only open the lanes for Cook more.

Vikings have some problems but Cousins isn't one of them.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Why would [cousins] give the team a deal? This guy is no dummy regardless of what Glenn thinks of him.

Why did Brady give the Patriots team-friendly deals?   :confused:

Because Brady had plenty of money and wanted to win.   :happy1:

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Brady had some things in place that Cousins doesn't have. Defense, coaches to name a couple. Plus Brady wanted to win above all other things. BTW, how much money does a guy need to make to get by? These guys make more in a year then I will make in a lifetime.

If I'm Cousins, no discount. Pay me or trade me.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
well if cousins would get paid on need to win games...he'd owe the vikings money!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :rotflmao:

i'll go out on a limb here and somewhat kinda admit he may not be a half bad QB, especially with some of the reports coming out lately with  whats been going on with the organization the last few years. one that sticks out in my mind is him being afraid of changing the plays at the line of scrimmage.

that and all the OC's over the years!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
They are about $12 Million over the salary cap. They have a bunch of older players who are due for free agency. Have to decide who they want to keep. Who can have salary adjusted. What they need to draft. Plus hire assistant coaches. Especially OC and DC. New GM will be busy. Hopefully O'Connel won't change his mind on Monday.
« Last Edit: February 02/08/22, 11:49:06 AM by KEN W »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I believe he'll restructure his remaining deal, deferring a nice chunk, so there's enough of a reduction in the cap hit so the front office will have some more freedom to do what they think they need to do. If he does that, I wouldn't be too surprised to see the team then add another year, maybe even 2 to his contract.  :scratch:

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
If freed up cap space allows them to improve the defense to keep opponents’ scores down, and the offensive line can be improved, it’s good for everybody, especially Cousins.
I know, I’m Captain Obvious.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Some added quality depth on the DL & OL both would be a big plus IMO.
« Last Edit: February 02/09/22, 08:24:33 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: so i keep reading about the vikings interviewing assistant coaches.........they havent and cant officially announced the new head coach until after the super bowl....... :scratch:

so why?????? i always thought the head coach picks his sidekicks???????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Because if they wait, some of the ones they like might already have a new gig. I don't think they'll offer anyone a job without consulting with O'Connell. They may already have a list that they put together with the new guy on people they both like.  :scratch: Not sure how the NFL rules read on that though.  :confused:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
"Mark Wilf convened with players on coach hiring decision."

“Mark just wanted to get our thoughts on [the situation]. Put it all into the basket right now. Like, what are some of things [we thought] could make us a better football team. Some of the guys got some of their messages out of what they thought was going to be good for the football team. What type of coaching style that they need to help us turn a corner. What type of coach that they feel we needed to help us turn a corner. It looks like they took all of those replies in and put it into their thought process when it came to hiring their new head coach.”

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
"Mark Wilf convened with players on coach hiring decision."
It can be a fine line between "Giving the players a voice" and "Letting the inmates run the asylum," but given that Zim's my-way-or-the-highway approach went as far as it was going to go, it was probably prudent of Mark Wilf to listen to the players' grievances and pick their brains about the immediate future.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Mark seems to be the businessman, Ziggy wants to be the guy who owns a NFL team. Thats the way it looks to me.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SO I heard the other day that Oconnell could still stay with the Rams if he decided to.   Any updates on that?

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
We will know this week. If there isn't a announcement then you can worry. No reason a OC wouldn't become a head coach if offered.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
SO I heard the other day that Oconnell could still stay with the Rams if he decided to.   Any updates on that?

Just the rumor/speculation from a couple of days ago...

Vikings new head coach plans could be thwarted by Sean McVay

Sadly, a recent report might put the hiring of Kevin O’Connell in a bit of danger. The report comes from New York Post and shares an interesting detail about the current Rams head coach, Sean McVay.

The report states that there is a chance McVay may have an interest in shifting his career away from coaching to focus on other things in his life. If that’s true, his future could be in analysis or commentary, opening up the position of head coach for the Rams.

Kevin O’Connell’s deal in Minnesota isn’t done. There is still a chance that if an opening arises to become the next head coach of the Rams that it could be a job that O’Connell may want to take over leading the Vikings for the foreseeable future.