Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Vikes thread!  (Read 518602 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
As boring of person as Kirk seems I do admit he is the best thing going for us at this time.  I do trust our new management and think they can create a fun season and bring out the best instead of the worst that it seemed like Zim was doing the last year or two. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe this is as "team-friendly" as we could have expected - a short term deal that doesn't cripple the team's salary cap this year.  Kirk gets more money and the contract is still fully guaranteed, but I think it will be easier to cut him next year if things don't work out.

If Kapt. Kirk plays better under the new regime and/or the Vikes win more games, then I guess he will be earning his pay.

If things don't click next season, hopefully they will be bad enough to be able to draft a good quarterback.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
AND they better get serious about a good backup to develop too.

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
Seeing how Cousins seems pretty durable I think they keep Mond around another year to see what they have with him.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Keeping Mond is safe and cheap.  Spielman might have saw something in him, but Zim was pissed that Spielman didn't spend the pick on a win-now player to try and save their jobs.*

I'll bet Zimmer didn't say 'hi' to Mond in the halls at the practice facility either.  :bonk:

*Actually, I think the Mond pick was Spielman's way of trying to save his own job.  He could see the writing on the wall for Zim, but I think he wanted to show the Wilf's that by picking a QB for the future, he was still building the team for the long run.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I see they signed a DT from the Bills, so Pierce was released yday as a result. Woods is a FA & signed with Carolina & Cole, the C/G they got from Arizona last season, has signed with the Steelers. Bynum is expected to get a shot at Woods's spot, but Dozier is gone too so I expect them to sign at least a couple more OL. Probably draft help there too, if they can.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
... so I expect them to sign at least a couple more OL. Probably draft help there too, if they can.
That is probably the biggest indictment against Spielman - his inability to build an offensive line.  And when he did invest draft capital, he ended up with guys who didn't pan out.

Zim's win-with-defense mentality probably shaded Spielman's draft picks towards the defense too early and too often, but ultimately Spielman owns the decisions.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glad things are happening.  Pierce sucked us dry in the two years he was here. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
That might be the main thing that keeps the NFL rolling...

For every guy that "gets paid," there are two guys waiting to take his place and prove themselves.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Think I seen where he would've been > $10 mil cap hit this season & letting him go save ~ $6 mil in cap space. Besides he only played 8 games in 3 seasons. They have 2-3 young guys at both DT & G that looked like they could help this season IMO.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Did the teams have to pay these guys when they decided to sit out because of the Rona???

I think teams maybe cutting guys because they did, but really have no proof??!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Did the teams have to pay these guys when they decided to sit out because of the Rona???

I think teams maybe cutting guys because they did, but really have no proof??!

NFL players taking coronavirus opt-outs will still be paid: Here's how much

Any player considered a “high-risk” case for COVID-19 is eligible for a $350,000 stipend, as well as full benefits and an accrued season toward free agency. The player must have a diagnosed medical history with a high-risk factor, such as cancer, chronic kidney disease and diabetes.

Voluntary opt-outs are also possible for players who don’t feel comfortable playing this season given the public health crisis, provided the player is already under contract. Those players are eligible for a $150,000 stipend, but will not earn an accrued season toward free agency.

I don't know if Pierce was high-risk or voluntary.  Maybe you can forgive a big guy for wanting to sit out the Covid year of 2020, but when you pair that up with a season where he played less than half of the games, you can start to question his health and availability.  Couple that with his high cap hit, replacements waiting in the wings, and Zim's departure - Pierce as a "cap casualty" is probably the biggest-no-brainer-in-the-history-of-man.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think Pierce had asthma or something like that. So he qualified.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I think Pierce had asthma or something like that. So he qualified.
That is what I read that too, LPS. To his credit, by the end of that season he did come out & say that after seeing the way the league handled the CV-19 protocols/testing /issue he wished he hadn't opted out, in hindsight.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: I see they signed a LB from Arizona that's likely to play inside with Kendricks. Barr may be moving on now as a result or at least need to sign a new deal that's team friendly in order to stick around. :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: I see they signed a LB from Arizona that's likely to play inside with Kendricks. Barr may be moving on now as a result or at least need to sign a new deal that's team friendly in order to stick around. :confused:
i just read that too!!!!!!  :scratch: Barr and this Vigil hit free agency!!! there could be alot of new faces on that roster this year!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Barr had the talent to be a big impact player, but it didn't always show to be the case.  He often seemed to be overrated, but Zim insisted that a player like Barr, doing the little things that don't show up on the stat sheet, were the glue that held his defense together.

Barr's injuries and diminished production made his contract a bad deal, and there will be $10M of dead salary cap money on the books next year if he leaves.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It almost seemed to me Like Zim held Barr back some. 

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Vikings are barely under the cap and need more space to sign Harrison Phillips from the Bills.

Here is where they will most likely have to make changes. Especially if they want to sign any other free agents....

Defensive end Danielle Hunter ($26 million, including an $18 million roster bonus due Sunday), receiver Adam Thielen (nearly $17 million), linebacker Eric Kendricks ($13.5 million), safety Harrison Smith ($13.5 million) and running back Dalvin Cook ($12 million).

I'm guessing Hunter has to go or change his contract. Question is.....Will someone trade for him?
« Last Edit: March 03/16/22, 03:22:13 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
there was talk of Thelen doing something with his!!!!!!! :scratch: :scratch:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Decision on Hunter has to be made by Sunday. Thelen would be next. I know that being from Detroit Lakes makes him want to retire a Viking.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Thelen would be next. I know that being from Detroit Lakes makes him want to retire a Viking.

Never say never...

But I would have to agree, that unless things went really sour, Thielen probably know his "brand" is worth the most in Minnesota.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup I would go Hunter and Barr first.  I think Theilen would do an even friendlier deal than he already did a couple of years ago just to stay here.  I hope Kendricks would do a deal with us too.  He is the backbone of tackling on our defense the last few years.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Just heard browns relased tretter, thad be a good pick up for o line
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: A younger, cheaper alternative to the guy, Cole, that signed with the Steelers & the new coachs already know him. :happy1: :cool: https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/3/16/22981993/minnesota-vikings-agree-to-terms-ol-austin-schlottmann-denver-broncos
« Last Edit: March 03/17/22, 08:28:42 AM by Gunner55 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Vikes restructure Harrison Smith and save 6 mil.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Hanging on to assets/investments based on past performances is going to hurt you as an investor and as a GM.  Smith and  Thelen...they were great players for the Vikings.  But, they are aging vets and are only going to decline...trade them now before they are of no value and while taking up valuable cap space for younger players.

And Hunter who I believe is only 26 has only payed 7 games the past 2 seasons isn't worth it again. Trade and get the most you can now.

All of that dead cap money from void-years deals that the “cap is a myth” folks thought didn’t exist dropped on the Vikings’ head on Wednesday. They now have $22 million in dead cap space. Are they still paying cap space to Kyle Rudolph? You betcha.

« Last Edit: March 03/17/22, 02:43:36 PM by KEN W »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is the current dead cap money...

Name   Cap Number
Anthony Barr   $9,890,000
Michael Pierce   $4,000,000
Kyle Rudolph   $2,900,000
Jeff Gladney   $2,776,738
Sheldon Richardson   $1,283,334
Britton Colquitt   $716,668
Zach Davidson   $226,329
Dru Samia   $184,985
TOTAL   $22,089,562

This article is almost too long, but it does  a good job of explaining the tricks team play in terms someone like me can understand.

How the Vikings Abuse the NFL Salary Cap

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sure sounds like kicking the can down the road.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
As long as the salary cap keeps going up, they can do that forever.