Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Mr Heater Big Buddy  (Read 3581 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok boys I just got my a Mr Heater Big Buddy heater.  I am tired of burning clothes etc on my loud sunflower heater.  I have a hose that hooks up to 1 lber fittings.  I got a filter and hooked that up at the connection on the Heater.  So now I can just hook up my generic hose to that connection.  OK my question is:  Do I need an empty 1 lb cylinder on the other side to make sure no gas leaks out of that side or do I trust that exposed fitting to hold?  AND:  Does it matter what side I hook the hose up to?  I will not be using the quick connect thing on the heater.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I wouldn't advise using a hose on 1 lb'ers, if I understood you right. Not necessary, and can cause some issues on the small 1 lb tanks with pressure issues. If you don't want to run a 20 lb'er, grab one of the 5 lb pancake tanks. There shouldn't be any issue with a leak without a canister attached; as the fitting is "static", and the the pressure is released from the seal on the tank. Not sure on the "which side" to use,or why it would make a difference, unless it specifies one. I'm used to using the regular buddy heaters and tanks. Have done lots of work/issues on those.
« Last Edit: October 10/20/18, 12:11:14 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Will be using 10's and 20's Rebs.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I will put an empty 1 lber on the other side just to make sure. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Try it with and without...while it's running. Not sure if their regulator brings an empty one into play, affecting gas flow. That will tell ya, though.  :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok thanks Rebs.  I will do that.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i have a big buddy, i use the 5 ft hose. kinda sucks, tqkes awhile for the fuel to get to the unit. i use the left side of the unit for hose connection. and no bottle on the the other side, maybe if i did it would equalize pressure and not take so long for the fuel to run thru the hose during initialnstart up. one fired up the howe 8s pressured and alls fine. dosent like to run with howe on r8ght side.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a Little Buddy & 1#'ers for me, so I'm no help. :bonk:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 I have one also. Never used the 1lbers. Always a 20#. Never had gas leak issue and there is only one side there is a coupler to hook the hose to.

I don't think there's any way to get around the time it takes to get propane to the heater.
« Last Edit: October 10/21/18, 04:29:03 PM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
What are these Mr. Heater Buddy thingies?
 :confused:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, Steve-o isn't an ice fisherman.... :azn:

Big Buddy...uses 1 lb'ers, or a hose hook=up to 5-20 lb LP tanks, whuch should be set outside the icehouse or porty when using... and they have a battery operated fan....4g, 9g, and 18,000 BTU settings..

https://www.fleetfarm.com/store/detail/mr-heater-big-buddy-indoor-outdoor-liquid-propane-gas-heater/0000000007108/2200?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIorWj7Jea3gIV2rXACh26RQKxEAQYAyABEgKczvD_BwE

Regular Buddy heater....uses 1 lber's and doesn't have a fan...4g-9,000 BTU's per hr..

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/mr-heater-black-red-portable-buddy-heater-w-fuel-filter/0000000070341?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgYeb2Jia3gIVEbbACh3Q7gcDEAQYBCABEgJdIPD_BwE

And, the Little Buddy....not worth much. 3800 BTU's max.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/store/detail/mr-heater-little-buddy-indoor-liquid-propane-gas-heater/0000000007086/2200?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7f7bgpqa3gIVTp7ACh3pcgSIEAQYAiABEgJvL_D_BwE

Used to heat ice shacks, porty's, whatever. Couldn't live without my three. They've been going strong for over 15 years. They now have tip-over safety switches and oxygen depletion shut-off valves. NOT to be confused with a CO detector.
« Last Edit: October 10/22/18, 08:59:00 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Actually, I do have a Li'l Buddy.  I tried to use it a couple of times in a ground blind archery hunting when it was really cold, but it gets to be a lot of bulk to haul around.

I envy you guys who have private hunting land with permanent stands where you can take advantage of heaters.

The farther I get down the trail... the more that idea appeals to me.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
If I could move outta this stoopid city, and get away from the noise, drunken neighbors, and taxes, I'd gladly LIVE in a stand on my own property.