Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: CWD Map  (Read 8420 times)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I guess we can wait until half the deer are sick, and all the ash trees are dead.    Then we can give leech and reb a saw and a shotgun.   

Leech, you from Scony?  That was their solution to CWD.  Don't do anything, it's not that bad.   Hey our deer farmer consultant from Texas said it has always been around.... 

Ooops.

And those ash trees in the neighbor's yard were looking pretty bad before they got condemned.   

So your saying half the Deer in Wisconsin are sick or dying or are you just talking out your ars again? Get rid of the Deer farms I really don't care just stop wiping out 100's of animals without proof that this has not always been around.

Yes, in the infected areas of Wisconsin infection rates for CWD are getting up there near 50%.   At the moment only 30% actually.
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/prevalence.html

CWD prevalence in Wisconsin

There appears to be two central areas of CWD infection in Wisconsin. One is centered in western Dane and eastern Iowa counties. The other is located in northern Illinois and extends into southeastern Wisconsin. Analyses of the geographic distribution of disease show that the disease is not evenly distributed throughout the affected area. Disease prevalence is much higher near the centers of each infection and declines with increasing distance from the center as would be expected with this introduced disease which is now endemic in southern Wisconsin.

CWD prevalence has also changed over time. Since 2002, CWD prevalence within our western monitoring area has shown an overall increasing trend in all sex and age classes. During the past 16 years, the trend in prevalence in adult males has risen from 8-10 percent close to 35 percent and in adult females from about 3-4 percent to over 15 percent. During that same time, the prevalence trend in yearling males has increased from about 2 percent to over 10 percent and in yearling females from roughly 2 percent to about 10

Look at some of the "prevalence graphs" on that page.   Adult  males 35% and rising steadily.   Yearling females lower but also rising at a similar rate.   

As for the ash trees on the blvd, yeah might as well cut them down now to try and slow things down and get them replaced.  Or the locals can pay a hundred bucks a year, depending on size, to treat them every two or three years.   Otherwise you have a situation like the Dutch Elm Disease when it hit St Paul.   No trees along the streets.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
https://screenshots.firefox.com/GPc1r8nA18MjqKY6/dnr.wi.gov
Check in the center of the dots, in Iowa county. 

And it got to the midwest by way of deer trucked in to deer farms as breeding stock.    Also Elk, as up by Pine Island.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12/27/18, 08:14:18 AM by delcecchi »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It should be interesting to get together with my sister in law's husband for family Christmas to get his take on what has transpired in the past year on the CWD thing in Fillmore Co. where he lives. He and his son maintain some prime habitat near Deer Creek. Last year he was not amused by Mr. Cornicelli in the least and even less amused by the deer hunts that may or may not or not be stopping the problem. So far it doesn't appear they've worked worth a $hit there not to mention being damned dangerous in places. A lot of the problem stems from the concentration of these animals, deer farms or not, allowing the spread. Now, the BAH has plenty of responsibility too but since the Dayton administration has been in "control", like most of the state agencies they're a shadow of their former selves. Their performance at the State Fair this past year was well, let's just say less than stellar as compared to 10 years ago.

Also your comments about the ash trees are ridiculous. Like the elm trees in the day, treatments can be made with neonics and there are things afoot in the IPM realm that could have some impact.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/city/2018/06/19/emerald-ash-borer-sioux-falls-releasing-wasps-kill-invasive-insect-ash-tree/714988002/

https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/disturbance/invasive_species/eab/control_management/biological_control/

https://www.mda.state.mn.us/plants/pestmanagement/eab/eabbiocontrol

I'm not the biggest ash tree fan but I'll give them credit where credit is due. They were an easy fix when the elms were tanking and people put them on boulevards and in windbreaks. Easy care, relatively fast growing, relatively durable. I inherited the ash trees here when I bought the place. Glad they're where they are as they've saved us many $ by shading the south side of the house. I'll take them any day over the crap trees such as silver maple and boxelder that were left here to deal with. And I was smart enough to plant some transition trees for when the ash trees have run their course, long before EAB was ever a thing. Hackberries are to their south, then a row of spruce and then nannyberry.

« Last Edit: December 12/27/18, 08:56:03 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
All of the cities like Rochester and Minneapolis that over planted Ash trees have a real problem.   They are all gonna die from EAB unless they are treated,   and it will happen in the next few years.    Treatment currently, for individuals, seems to be running in the 1-300 dollars per tree and lasts two or three years.   

So, should the cities bite the bullet and start replacing all those ash trees that were planted back when it seemed like a good idea?   Or should they sign up to treat them in perpetuity?  Or wait for them all to die and then do something?

As for the wasp thing and biocontrol, I am unaware of any study that shows real world control of EAB via the wasps.  Lord knows I am pulling for the little buggers since there are billions of ash trees in MN in the wild that will create a heck of a problem if they all die.   Please let me know of any real world evidence of wasp effectiveness.   

Are you seriously saying that the various city tree folks should be out treating all those ash trees rather than replacing them?    The fact is that there are many neighborhoods around full of ash trees, like the one just a few block from me where basically all the boulevard trees are Ash.   

If folk chose to treat, the city won't cut them down btw.   The treater puts a little tag thing on the tree and the angel of ash death passes them over.

I like ash trees.  I have one in my front yard that I just payed $300 to get treated.   I go up to northern MN where there are miles and miles of black ash swamp.   I shudder to think of what might happen. 

So, now explain what about my comments was ridiculous...   

And in Wisconsin the "big buck prime habitat" folks were the biggest obstacle in dealing with cwd in Dane county from what I read years back.   That's how the "deer doctor from texas" guy got hired to say that cwd is no big deal.   

Now the peak areas have 50% infected animals.   

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Here's what you said on another post above "Yes, in the infected areas of Wisconsin infection rates for CWD are getting up there near 50%.   At the moment only 30% actually. " 

Now your stating 50%, then actually 30% and it's all just a guess-ta-ment to what they think the % of the population is in the infected areas.
There is no way in He!! that they know the exact number of Deer in any area. Or MN or Wis would do a better job or handing out tags for their hunting seasons. Which MN was down in 2018 from what they though it would be from their 2017 guess-ta-ment.  I'm a Deer hunter and have for about 45 years. I want them to find a solution to this problem as much as the next guy. Giving out erroneous numbers on a outdoor internet site is not going to make that just happen!
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Maybe he just wants to eradicate them like the ash trees. My take is not enough irrefutable evidence or enough research/attempts to solve issue before starting to destroy everything.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I wonder how it'd fly over here in Bugtussle where they were smart enough BTW to not plant all ash trees in the first place to now tell people they need to cut them down even tho there's no infestation? Sound ridiculous? Does to me.

And thanks for insulting my sister in law's hubby. Stay classy del!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Here's what you said on another post above "Yes, in the infected areas of Wisconsin infection rates for CWD are getting up there near 50%.   At the moment only 30% actually. " 

Now your stating 50%, then actually 30% and it's all just a guess-ta-ment to what they think the % of the population is in the infected areas.
There is no way in He!! that they know the exact number of Deer in any area. Or MN or Wis would do a better job or handing out tags for their hunting seasons. Which MN was down in 2018 from what they though it would be from their 2017 guess-ta-ment.  I'm a Deer hunter and have for about 45 years. I want them to find a solution to this problem as much as the next guy. Giving out erroneous numbers on a outdoor internet site is not going to make that just happen!
If you look at the graph I posted, adult male was over 50% in 2016.   adult female was 35% and rising.   Test 100 deer.  if 50 of them are positive, pretty clear what the situation is.   

This is in the center of the infected area but there is nothing to indicate that it won't be that over an entire area in a few years.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I wonder how it'd fly over here in Bugtussle where they were smart enough BTW to not plant all ash trees in the first place to now tell people they need to cut them down even tho there's no infestation? Sound ridiculous? Does to me.

And thanks for insulting my sister in law's hubby. Stay classy del!  :happy1:

Sister in Law's husband?   Would that be your brother or brother in law?   Or more distance?   And how did I insult anyone?   

If the trees are healthy, they don't NEED to be cut down.   In some areas it might be a good idea however so as to pre-emptively do so since it seems to be just a matter of time, unless the wasp guys can pull a miracle out of somewhere....

I'm not following your problem with the manner of dealing with epidemics like CWD and EAB.   And all those black ash up nort planted themselves...   

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

If you look at the graph I posted, adult male was over 50% in 2016.   adult female was 35% and rising.   Test 100 deer.  if 50 of them are positive, pretty clear what the situation is.   

This is in the center of the infected area but there is nothing to indicate that it won't be that over an entire area in a few years.

Let me help reword this for you so it makes sense.

"In the infected areas of Wisconsin. Out of 100 Deer tested, 50% of them were positive for CWD" 

It does not mean that the total of all the Deer population within any of the infested test areas are 50%. Their using an assumption since they really don't know what the total population is.
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
It is a sampling thing.   Put a whole bunch of beans in a jar,  some kidney and some great northern.   You don't know how many beans are in the jar, but if it is well mixed and you pour out part of the beans you can make a pretty good estimate of how many kidney and how many great northern are in the jar by counting the ones you poured out.   

You can't really be serious about this, right ?   I guess somehow hunters could have shot a disproportionate number of deer with cwd, but that doesn't seem especially plausible to me.   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :tut: :tut: :pouty: :pouty: big deal, noone cares let's move on.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
It is a sampling thing.   Put a whole bunch of beans in a jar,  some kidney and some great northern.   You don't know how many beans are in the jar, but if it is well mixed and you pour out part of the beans you can make a pretty good estimate of how many kidney and how many great northern are in the jar by counting the ones you poured out.   

You can't really be serious about this, right ?   I guess somehow hunters could have shot a disproportionate number of deer with cwd, but that doesn't seem especially plausible to me.   

Sorry guys, but I Have to interject one statement then we drop this _______.

Beans don't procreate and multiply and raise young ones in differing amounts in different areas with different conditions. There's a thing called LIVING NATURAL SELECTION that doesn't come outta some stupid glass jar and can't be made into an equation in black and white.

OK. I'm done.
« Last Edit: December 12/29/18, 08:08:43 PM by Rebel SS »