Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wow...what pigs  (Read 1797 times)

Offline GrandpaTom

• Master Outdoorsman
I found this and thought I would share here.  Unbelievable what some can do.

Minnesota Outdoor Journal is with Vera Zimmel Schoenecker.Like Page
March 6, 2016 ยท
So, after spending my weekend picking up trash on three of my hometown lakes I've put together my observations. Before I get started I must say that I am in no way insinuating anything or pointing fingers. These are just my true unbiased findings. Lets get started.

The items I found the most both had to do with either alcohol or tobacco. Beer cans and bottles where everywhere, along with some liquor bottles. Cigarette butts covered the lakes, along with lots of cigarette packs and cigar wrappers.

The second most found items where things that had to do with human poop. Poop itself and toilet paper and paper towels were literally everywhere. Along with many poop filled plastic bags.

The third most found items were items related to fish houses. Tons of blocks left in the ice from blocking up houses. Lots of fish house pieces such as foam, large pieces of rubber roofing, hole cut outs, knotty pine, furniture pieces, candy bar wrapers, borken plastics, fishing line, etc.

The fourth most found items were random trash items. Minnow buckets, tackle packaging, food wrappers, propane tank plastics, plastic bags, cups, plastic silverware, etc.

Here's a list of some of the more unusual items I found.
-an old ratty football
-lots of beef jerky
-fish left behind
And the most unusual award goes to the two completely soiled adult men's underwear. I found one pair of pooped undies on two of the three lakes!

The three lakes I cleaned were Shields, Roberds, and Mazaska. Roberds was the worst.

I found a good handful of receipts. The majority of receipts were from stores in the metro twin cities area.

Perhaps the DNR could run trash barrels in the winter at the accesses like they do in the winter. And post some large no littering signs with penalties. At least to help come some of this crap off the ice!

What I've taken from this Project. (besides massive amounts of trash)

After all the houses are off the lake and the snow is gone months of trash is exposed. It's absolutely heartbreaking to see it when you go looking for it. It's overwhelming in spots. You honestly don't know which way to go there is so much of it. I'm not going to lie, I shed a few tears Saturday. I grew up on these waters. I learned how to fish. I learned how to be passionate. I learned a lot about myself and what I'm capable on these waters. The disappointment as you're chopping someone's trash out of the lake is, well, you really can't explain it. It makes me sad that the very same people enjoying these resources are the very same people polluting them. But, the worst of it, for me, is the fact that we're not the ones its affecting the most. The fish, the aquatic wildlife, the aquatic vegetation, the birds, and the wildlife are the ones who suffer the greatest. These resources are not merely here for our entertainment and enjoyment. These fisheries and aquatic environments are very special resources that need very special attention. They are one of, if not thee greatest, things Minnesota offers us. Let's all work a little harder to take care of these waters the way they take care of us. We are stewards, so lets act like we are. To those who pick up trash and keep things as they should, my hats off to you. Now get the boat ready, because the ice isn't going to last long! #conservation

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a  holes........
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
exactly. Bunch of a-holes. Take it out there, take it home with ya. It is not that f^%%&ing hard!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
This is 1 of those things that really torques me!! :bonk: :bs: :thumbs: :mad1: :mad1: :angry2: :angry2: :pouty:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Pisses me off!   :angry2:  I used to walk along the St. Croix a few times a week and always brought a garbage bag with me.  Always came back with it at least half full.  Littering fines need to scare people to make them work.  They obviously don't scare anyone the way they are now.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
The sad part is up here on Lake of the Woods they have dumpsters at all of the access points for people to throw away their garbage when leaving the lake and they are still to lazy to do that. I really love picking up the garbage bags that wash up on the beach in the spring. I know what was in them. :puke: :puke:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Tried to get the DNR down here to put dumpsters at some of the landings. (Which there are only two of on the river...!!)  No go. Said they can't maintain them.  :angry:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes those dumpsters are a good thing.  Too bad so many locals put all of their stuff in them too so they don't have to pay for garbage pickup.  That fills them up faster. 

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What a disgrace.  It's always seemed to me that the penalty for littering should be minimum of 24 hours of picking up trash for the first offense.  People value their time a lot more than the $100 fine or whatever it is.